Jump to content

Trolling via Support Requests - how to stop this?


Go to solution Solved by Kjell Iver Johansen,

Recommended Posts

How do I stop this?

I have no means to ban someone who is not a website user.  There is no way I can see to stop this user from trolling us with spam via your Support Request system.

Please help

image.thumb.png.bccfeab060027eec12fa902b284a807c.png

k1NRlMo.png

Edited by Scott Allen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If your e-mail hosting company has BoxTrapper, try to enable it (I've it under cPanel/E-mail). It is very effective avoiding spams on public e-mail addresses.

Edited by Dexter_X
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2021 at 2:05 PM, Dexter_X said:

If your e-mail hosting company has BoxTrapper, try to enable it (I've it under cPanel/E-mail). It is very effective avoiding spams on public e-mail addresses.

e-mail hosting company?! What are you talking about? These spammers are using the Contact Us form to bypass any moderation and spam this stuff in IPS...

This is visible in the AdminCP

See image below:
dJ1ye4E.png

 

Edited by Scott Allen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Scott Allen said:

e-mail hosting company?! What are you talking about?

i'm not talking about your APC but your hosting provider. We user a provider that allows us access to a cPanel interface with useful functions against spamming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sort of relates to a ticket I just opened here: https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/462616-how-to-mass-delete-support-request-tickets-in-admin/

 

There's definitely a little attention that needs to go into the support request feature, especially since this is a pretty sizable paid upgrade. I think it does most of what's needed, just needs a little thought and polish to smooth out some pretty glaring issues that can quickly make it all but unusable very quickly.

Hoping a host has a way to block it really isn't a great solution.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are having the same problem, and even though there is an option for filtering e-mail addresses, it doesn't work. I opened a support ticket about this a couple of days ago. The official answer is that there is no help. They only supply CAPTCHA, and that's that. You just have to delete the spam messages. Which is time consuming, considering the amount we're getting, at least. Going to have to put some time into figuring out a different way to allow members to access support. This is definitely a feature that should be fixed and updated sooner than later, IMO.

 

This was the only answer from the support ticket:

The only current spam mitigation we have on the contact form is the CAPTCHA. You can try a different CAPTCHA if you think bots are getting past the current CAPTCHA you're using.

Edited by usmf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Dexter_X said:

i'm not talking about your APC but your hosting provider. We user a provider that allows us access to a cPanel interface with useful functions against spamming.

Well, we use IPS v4.6+ with mostly default/included systems, and my question was posted here in IPS Client area because it was those systems we were using that were being abused by spammers.  I do believe that a possible solution was presented by @Kjell Iver Johansen above:

17 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Remove guest access..?

image.thumb.png.539a7a11f3fa208f4dcafa0cc1511096.png

 

...have changed this just now, it was set (by default) to allow Guests access to this Contact Us under Applications/System - will give it a week and we'll see if it works.  If so, I'm marking that as the solution.

Thanks again! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another solution is shift the help desk to a different provider. I'm using the one provided by Invision to handle support for billing, account, things of that nature. They still are excellent in that regard. But, the immediate one is through Spiceworks, which is more readily available. It's free and has built-in spam blocking from IP's. It's more built for IT, but it fits forums based around tech. People also tend to trust it more on certain things. I've used it for every IT-related job I've had.

https://www.spiceworks.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, thisisabaddisplayname said:

Another solution is shift the help desk to a different provider. I'm using the one provided by Invision to handle support for billing, account, things of that nature. They still are excellent in that regard. But, the immediate one is through Spiceworks, which is more readily available. It's free and has built-in spam blocking from IP's. It's more built for IT, but it fits forums based around tech. People also tend to trust it more on certain things. I've used it for every IT-related job I've had.

https://www.spiceworks.com/

Its a bummer to have to come tot his, but you might be right. I only bought the commerce app for the help desk system so its a bummer. Guess I'll just drop that end of things, especially since there's been no reply to my support thread simply asking fort a MySQL query that I can use to mass delete them until. real fix is put into place. Assume that might be a bandaid for @Scott Allen as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...