For a Large Data Base Queries Required?

Was going to finally take the upgrade step and ran into this below. I do know how to pull up PhpMyAdmin and hit the Query tab. I assume the software will tell me the exact query to use and I will then submit it via PhpMyAdmin where I have the arrow in the attached screen shot? I am just making sure I am fully prepared to do this without getting hosed.   Thanks!

submitquery.thumb.jpg.7beebdee7050dd045295e8c0948cb326.jpg

Large Database Updates

During this upgrade some changes need to be made to large database tables. Trying to do this automatically may time out, so you will be prompted to run the queries manually when required. Before continuing, connect to your your MySQL server's command line so that you will be ready to run the queries when prompted. If you are not sure how to do this, you should contact your hosting provider or system administrator for assistance.

TABLE ROWS SIZE
core_search_index 763,422

327.59 MB

1 minute ago, Adriano Faria said:

Click in SQL to run the queries 

spacer.png

I was just going to ask this instead. Got it. Thanks!

Anything else to do manually if need be?  That I should know before I start?

Thanks!

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

The reason IPS is asking you to run these on the SQL server itself is because PHP-based queries may time out depending on the configuration of your web server, PHP, and MySQL instance. Long story short: do not use phpMyAdmin to do this. Just like IPS, it runs through your web server and PHP. There is no difference between phpMyAdmin and the upgrader.

You should instead connect directly to your MySQL instance via command line to run these queries. Typically, this will involve the mysql command while connected to SSH in a Linux environment.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/mysql.html

4 hours ago, jucs said:

Before continuing, connect to your your MySQL server's command line so that you will be ready to run the queries when prompted. If you are not sure how to do this, you should contact your hosting provider or system administrator for assistance.

Read that carefully. It does not say phpMyAdmin.

Edited by CoffeeCake

1 hour ago, CoffeeCake said:

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

The reason IPS is asking you to run these on the SQL server itself is because PHP-based queries may time out depending on the configuration of your web server, PHP, and MySQL instance. Long story short: do not use phpMyAdmin to do this. Just like IPS, it runs through your web server and PHP. There is no difference between phpMyAdmin and the upgrader.

You should instead connect directly to your MySQL instance via command line to run these queries. Typically, this will involve the mysql command while connected to SSH in a Linux environment.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/mysql.html

Read that carefully. It does not say phpMyAdmin.

Well, this didn't need to occur thank goodness. However, this is completely unreasonable to think you can have your server admin real time online doing these command line queries and frankly the majority of people are not SSH and Unix/MysSqul command line up to speed to go connect and do this. themselves.  Just my 2 cents.

16 minutes ago, jucs said:

However, this is completely unreasonable to think you can have your server admin real time online doing these command line queries and frankly the majority of people are not SSH and Unix/MysSqul command line up to speed to go connect and do this. themselves. 

When self-hosting, there are skill sets that you will need to have and develop. IPS offers cloud-based packages for those customers that want a fully managed experience, and alternatively you can develop those skills yourself or contract with a provider to help with these sorts of things.

For smaller databases, this isn't an issue, yet you get the warning you saw when tables exceed certain sizes that may time out. It seems that your install has some larger tables, so brushing up on how to handle this yourself would be well advised.

The alternative is that the upgrader doesn't warn you, it times out, and you end up with issues due to the timeout. These issues vary greatly depending on what MySQL is doing in the background.

12 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

When self-hosting, there are skill sets that you will need to have and develop. IPS offers cloud-based packages for those customers that want a fully managed experience, and alternatively you can develop those skills yourself or contract with a provider to help with these sorts of things.

For smaller databases, this isn't an issue, yet you get the warning you saw when tables exceed certain sizes that may time out. It seems that your install has some larger tables, so brushing up on how to handle this yourself would be well advised.

The alternative is that the upgrader doesn't warn you, it times out, and you end up with issues due to the timeout. These issues vary greatly depending on what MySQL is doing in the background.

For sure. Thanks for the clarification btw.  Next time with such a big upgrade, I will have to learn how to run the queries myself via the commend line for sure. 🙂

1 hour ago, jucs said:

For sure. Thanks for the clarification btw.  Next time with such a big upgrade, I will have to learn how to run the queries myself via the commend line for sure. 🙂

log in to your account via SSH.  Type "mysql" then hit enter.  Then type "use database" (where database is your database name).  Then you can run the queries they tell you to.

1 hour ago, Fast Lane! said:

log in to your account via SSH.  Type "mysql" then hit enter.  Then type "use database" (where database is your database name).  Then you can run the queries they tell you to.

Best SSH client to use?

Thanks!