Jump to content

How are achievement points calculated?


Recommended Posts

We're trying to get the new ranks system to "simulate" the old pips, and I've set it up to basically have one rule - 1 point per thread/post/comment (basically any content item). 
But I can't seem to get it to work straight. The "Comment/reply posted" rule gave to much points so I changed it to "Content item posted" but it give to few points... 

Before I change it again and am forced to wait 2-3 days to see the results, can I ask for an simple explanation of the system's rule triggers (not the default ones but the ones selectable in the dropdown menu) and perhaps even add an example when a rule is triggered and an example when it isn't.

e.g (only for demonstration purposes) "Member buys a subscription" is only triggered when a paid subscription is purchased. isn't triggered on free subscriptions, up/down grades.
image.thumb.png.02db815fe2f2ef5ec9024c7a8917638b.png

thanks. 

 

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Pavel Chernitsky changed the title to How are achievement points calculated?

Can anyone from the team (@Jordan Invision @Matt or anybody else) help me out here? I've rebuilt the ranks a few more times since posting this thread and I can't, for the life of me, get the system to reproduce the way the pips worked - one point per content item (opening a thread or posting in one, publishing a blog post or article in pages etc. Without taking into account reputation and reactions).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we didn't, but I've recreated them using the current existing ranks (renamed and changed the points threshold). I've also activated the two rules you mentioned - but they're giving way more points than they should. For example, I have 4141 posts, but received 6831 points. It looks like it doesn't mesh with reputation, since I have 1845 point, which if added, give a total of 5986 points, so...🤷‍♂️

 

also, you mean "content item posted", right? 

23 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:
  • New comment item is posted

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

I suspect your user has created 2690 topics/content items?

sounds reasonable. are threads/content (I guess you mean blog posts, articles etc.?) counted differently? I have both rules set up to give one point for every instance. 

 

screenshot.png

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management

There were a few bugs with the comment rule extension, which should be fixed in 4.6.4. It likely counted 1 topic as one content item and 1 post, rather than just 1 thing. So effectively 2 points per topic instead of 1 when rebuilding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, coming back to update on the issue. 
We've upgraded to 4.6.5.1 and did an achievement rebuild as you suggested, but unfortunately the point still don't add up to what they should. 
Here is an example of a user that has posted 9490 content items, but has over 20K achievement points (can we just calls those "APs"? I'm soooo tired of misspelling acheivment... see? did it again).
image.thumb.png.cccedeaa01f5975786bb7a856e59f2ae.png

Any other ideas as to what can cause this?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2021 at 5:51 PM, Pavel Chernitsky said:

Hi, coming back to update on the issue. 
We've upgraded to 4.6.5.1 and did an achievement rebuild as you suggested, but unfortunately the point still don't add up to what they should. 
Here is an example of a user that has posted 9490 content items, but has over 20K achievement points (can we just calls those "APs"? I'm soooo tired of misspelling acheivment... see? did it again).
image.thumb.png.cccedeaa01f5975786bb7a856e59f2ae.png

Any other ideas as to what can cause this?

 

I have created a ticket on this for you, so we can try and get to the bottom of your issue. I will respond to this shortly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh, and if I click "Manage" in the ACP I get this list:

image.thumb.png.fb6b75c159c4ff452953ed97f0287b7d.png

Could someone (@Marc Stridgen, @Matt, @Stuart Silvester) comment on this, possibly? This is obviously when I ran the recalculation of the achievements, not when the member signed in again (he hasn't signed in since last year, a day after he registered).

Ive opened up a ticket for you on that, so we can get in and take a look for you to see what is happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay. So logging in triggers the rule. How do I award a member who has been an active member for a year simply for the membership, not for posts or reactions etc.?

Is the “days logged in” actually consecutive days? If so almost nobody will hit a year. Plus I think you use the word “concurrently” incorrectly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Is the “days logged in” actually consecutive days? If so almost nobody will hit a year.

So, this is consecutive days. And I think it works only going forward, which stinks IMO. So even if a member makes posts every day for a year a month ago he won’t get a “7 days in a row” award unless he does so after you rebuild.

Rebuilding in the future may also reset all of these…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management
On 9/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, iacas said:

Okay. So logging in triggers the rule. How do I award a member who has been an active member for a year simply for the membership, not for posts or reactions etc.?

Is the “days logged in” actually consecutive days? If so almost nobody will hit a year. Plus I think you use the word “concurrently” incorrectly.

We log log-ins in a separate table now, but of course that table only existed with 4.6 and it's not possible to populate it from pre 4.6 data. So moving forward it won't be an issue, even with a rebuild.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Matt said:

We log log-ins in a separate table now, but of course that table only existed with 4.6 and it's not possible to populate it from pre 4.6 data. So moving forward it won't be an issue, even with a rebuild.

Thanks.

That makes it still not quite right for my forum (which is pretty old), but whatever.

I'll submit a feature request for "time of active membership" (i.e. account created date, user logs in and/or posts 1 year, 5 years, etc. later).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Management
6 hours ago, iacas said:

Thanks.

That makes it still not quite right for my forum (which is pretty old), but whatever.

I'll submit a feature request for "time of active membership" (i.e. account created date, user logs in and/or posts 1 year, 5 years, etc. later).

I think we have our wires crossed a bit.

There's two options for time based rewards:
- Consecutive days logged in
- Time since registration 

The latter, time since registration does go from the join date, so if that's not working correctly let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Matt said:

I think we have our wires crossed a bit.

There's two options for time based rewards:
- Consecutive days logged in
- Time since registration 

The latter, time since registration does go from the join date, so if that's not working correctly let me know.

Time since registration does not care if the person has visited since they registered.

That’s what the whole ticket was about.

Edited by iacas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2021 at 9:39 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

I have created a ticket on this for you, so we can try and get to the bottom of your issue. I will respond to this shortly

So after going over this "issue" with Marc, turns out it isn't an issue at all and the system doesn't take into consideration forums where we've checked off the "increase user post count" so we still can't replicate our old ranking system.

Seeing as more people are complaining about the achievements, maybe you guys should reconsider giving us the option to either revert to the old Ranks+Rep system or at least allow showing the reputation under the user's avatar. The way that things sit right now, the community has no way of awarding or taking away "respect" to and from users the members deem helpful (or harmful). The only way to give a user any form of easily visible acknowledgement is by us the admins, and that distances "us" from "them", which is something I'm trying to avoid at all costs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

So after going over this "issue" with Marc, turns out it isn't an issue at all and the system doesn't take into consideration forums where we've checked off the "increase user post count" so we still can't replicate our old ranking system.

Seeing as more people are complaining about the achievements, maybe you guys should reconsider giving us the option to either revert to the old Ranks+Rep system or at least allow showing the reputation under the user's avatar. The way that things sit right now, the community has no way of awarding or taking away "respect" to and from users the members deem helpful (or harmful). The only way to give a user any form of easily visible acknowledgement is by us the admins, and that distances "us" from "them", which is something I'm trying to avoid at all costs. 

As at present this is actually working as it was intended, I have moved this to our suggestions area for consideration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...