Improve achievements system : repeatable rules

Dexter_X

There is a good Idea I got from another post to improve achievements system : allow a milestoned rule to be repeatable. 

What does it mean ?

Let's do it through an example :

Consider you've a standard (current system) milestoned rule giving points and a badge to a user creating 20 topics. The user will get points and badge once the milestone is reached an it is over. 
It is a good behavior from my point of view. But if you want to award users every 20 created topics, you'll need to create a rule for the 40th topic, the 60th topic and so on...

Now let's consider a "repeatable" rule :
If you take the same rule and "check the repeatable checkbox in the rule" (don't be afraid  this does not exist - yet -), the rule will give a badge and the points each time the user reach 20 new topics. (and not each time the user creates a new topic from its 20th one because 21 > 20). In other words : once the 20 created topics reached, the user get awarded and an internal counter is reset to 0 until the user creates 20 new topics (so until the users creates 40 topics, and so on).

Of course the principle could be applied to any milestoned rule and it may even reduce the amount of rules we'll need to define.

One last thing : when a user gets twice the same - repeatable - badge, it should be displayed twice in his profile awarded badges list.

Edited by Dexter_X

I like this, because lets say once you set up the following....

• Signed in 1 day in a row
  • Signed in 7 days in a row
  • Signed in 31 days in a row
  • Signed in 90 days in a row
  • Signed in 180 days in a row
  • Signed in 365 days in a row

Once a member gets thru that, there is nothing more to gain, unless admins keep expanding it indefinitely.  Or to your point, you let them repeat.

This member has won "Signed in for 7 days" three times!

etc...

15 minutes ago, Phillyman said:

I like this, because lets say once you set up the following....

• Signed in 1 day in a row
  • Signed in 7 days in a row
  • Signed in 31 days in a row
  • Signed in 90 days in a row
  • Signed in 180 days in a row
  • Signed in 365 days in a row

Once a member gets thru that, there is nothing more to gain, unless admins keep expanding it indefinitely.  Or to your point, you let them repeat.

This member has won "Signed in for 7 days" three times!

etc...

In this kind of system (we have the same...) I would rather put the "repeatable" flag on the last/highest rule, so the user goes through all the levels you've defined (usually following an exponential curve) but it is never finished : the users can still got twice or more the last one. Seems a good way of "never ending" to me...