PWA maskable icon

Everade

There's currently no option to set icons being maskable or not.
And IPB, by default doesn't set the maskable attribute.

Google Lighthouse Audit as such doesn't rate the PWA setup as optimized.

Would be great to either set it by default in the manifest file, or add an option for us to set the maskable attritbute ourselfs.

image.png.e132fc242684312fc12abbd7559b8b67.png

https://web.dev/maskable-icon-audit/?utm_source=lighthouse&utm_medium=devtools

Of course, this isn't just about Google Lighthouse Rating improvement, but it also allows us to mask the icon 😉

Edited by Everade

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 10:54 PM, Everade said:

One single line is all it needs my fellow devs

This forum section is full of topics about trivial fixes and improvements that are very easy to do.

I hope someday IPS will give active clients access to the repository to create pull requests, so that we can fix it ourselves, and we don't have to wait for years for such small things to be fixed (or never fixed).

Edited by 13.

19 hours ago, 13. said:

This forum section is full of topics about trivial fixes and improvements that are very easy to do.

I hope someday IPS will give active clients access to the repository to create pull requests, so that we can fix it ourselves, and we don't have to wait for years for such small things to be fixed (or never fixed).

For those customers that are self hosted, you have full access to the source code. You can edit if you like. There is also documentation on how to create applications or plugins so that you don’t have to edit the source files and simply extend them instead. 

It does not make sense for customers to be able to edit IPS’ source code for everyone else. I frankly don’t trust anyone else to make changes that might compromise my site’s security or performance. Those developers I do trust, I use applications available in the marketplace or hire them to custom develop something for me. 

24 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

It does not make sense for customers to be able to edit IPS’ source code for everyone else. I frankly don’t trust anyone else to make changes that might compromise my site’s security or performance. Those developers I do trust, I use applications available in the marketplace or hire them to custom develop something for me. 

Have you ever heard about code review before merging?

None of those concerns are valid because code review before merging a code from pull requests was invented exactly for this. Obviously, no one is suggesting adding code directly to the repo without the proper review.

This is how most of the code in the world is written. Especially the code you already have on your server, from the OS to every little third-party library used in IPS.

This is a much easier and faster way for IPS to fix things like this with the help of the community.

Edited by 13.

But again, why? 

If you want to customize your stuff… do it.  If you want to share whatever changes you make, put it in the marketplace. 

You’re making the assumption that changes that someone is making warrant being included as a default change. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:29 PM, Randy Calvert said:

But again, why? 

Because there are smart people out there who can get easy faeces done in a matter of minutes or even seconds, unlike some other devs around here.
If you've ever worked in an open source git project then you would be aware how well it works. But that's an entirely different story.

This has nothing to do with customization, but with getting their faeces together and offering a proper product.
Customizations only require additional overhead for months on end on the customer (or a plugin which is lots of additional work), rather than getting something so trivial done within 1 or 2 patch time-frames by invision.

They have a subscription based model and ask for a substantional amount of money from each customer.
So it's not too much to expect a decent patch policy rather than a "fix it yourself" mindset.

And it can't get any easier than this. (There are many similiar topics that would be benefitial and easy to fix that are sitting ducks for years)
It would be fixed faster than reading through this nonsense topic that would not have been required if it would have been implemented properly in the first place.

I guess i'll miss out on the next year of the subscription.
It's just not worth it looking at the micro patch notes and still missing out on all the community requests.

I assume they fired most of their devs years back, because updates have been stagnating in the past 4 years.

New Girl I Give Up GIF

@Everade Why dont you choose a different platform and leave instead of whinging on about IPS developers/ment

I from a personal stand point find IPS development and staff excellent, there product isn't perfect but whose is ?

I have been with them for many many years after coming from vB and will be staying here for a long time in the future

14 hours ago, Muddy Boots said:

@Everade Why dont you choose a different platform and leave instead of whinging on about IPS developers/ment

Yea, why would a 16 years customer complain about a product. Everyone should just keep their mouths shut and look how the company runs its product into the ground.
Hell no, i want to see things get better so i actualy can continue using it. Got a proplem with that?

They've been doing many many bad design decisions in the past, and are most of the time working on content no one ever asked for.
And i'm not saying new features are bad, i'm just saying that they never focus on actual practical customer issues that have been reported years ago.
But they don't, they keep ignoring us but continue taking our money.

It's a great product overall, there's no reason to move.

But at the current state, there's a good reason to stop paying the subscription or at least pause it for a longer period.

• 1 month later...

There are more important things to work on than a minor fix that only affect a small number of Android users. The Web Application Manifest is only a draft yet and has been since 2013... so how many users are actually impacted by this?

I have not checked, but do IPS even have a manifest?

Edited by Jimi Wikman

• 1 month later...