4.6: How to restore custom member titles

Go to solution Solved by Matt,

• Management
  • Solution

Invision Community 4.6 brings a brand new achievements system which overhauls the ranks system along with adding the ability to earn points which translates into a higher rank via rules.

As part of the clean-up, we removed the custom member title from the author section of the post as there's a limit to how much information we can show comfortably!

Of course, some communities used custom member titles and wish to continue using them. Fortunately it's easy enough to get them back.

Step 1: Log into the ACP and navigate to Members > Profiles > Profile Fields

Step 2: You will see a group called "Retained", inside is a new custom field called "Member Title". This profile field was used in the upgrade to save the custom member title data. Click on the pencil icon to edit.

ACP-1.jpg

Step 3: Post upgrade, this field is effectively switched off, but it can easily be switched back on. For the "Display format for topics" choose custom and just use: {$content} as the value. This will remove the "Member Title:" prefix. Save the changes.

ACP-2.jpg

You will now see the member title has been restored.

Custom-Title.jpg

Advanced tip: Only do this if you are comfortable making theme edits! If it all goes wrong, don't panic. There is a revert button to undo your changes! Edit the template bit Forums > topics > postContainer in your active theme and move the block highlighted here up underneath the {{endif}} of the {{$comment->isAnonymous()}} block.

Template-edit.jpg

I appreciate the guide and that means I can get it back under the username by placing it under

<ul class='cAuthorPane_info ipsList_reset'>

but because I show Location as well, it's moving that with it to a place I don't want it to show.

I still think more options on the ranks would be best all round, with a few minor changes it could work like the old system did. You only need to make it so the title can be editable, and a choice to show the rank image or rank text on topics then they'd be no need for the old member title being retained.

Edited by marklcfc

2 hours ago, marklcfc said:

I appreciate the guide and that means I can get it back under the username by placing it under

<ul class='cAuthorPane_info ipsList_reset'>

but because I show Location as well, it's moving that with it to a place I don't want it to show.

+1 on this. My community uses custom titles to communicate developer roles, but we also show several other custom fields underneath. It would be brilliant to be able to move custom fields individually rather than move the whole block of them at once.

I appreciate the guide though @Matt. Cheers!

On 7/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, OWA said:

+1 on this. My community uses custom titles to communicate developer roles, but we also show several other custom fields underneath. It would be brilliant to be able to move custom fields individually rather than move the whole block of them at once.

Surely there has to be a way to move just the member title, but leave the other profile fields (Location in my case) where they are

Edited by marklcfc

Hi @Matt 
I've followed along with the guide and it seems to only show the titles (on "content submissions) to staff, regardless of the option chosen. 
Also, as you can see in the screenshots, I've moved the title upwards in the block, can you tell me where I need to put the css text in order for it to show directly under the username?

Thanks. Below are screenshots of the issue.

The Option + Formatting setting:
image.thumb.png.41ce04607a9117f95939cd5c8e37f9d0.png

Admin view (With title outlined):
image.png.8c28e26f71b346406871e974a3154c16.png

Regular member view:

image.png.eaf5c315b627420194f22351a2897db4.png

Use at your own risk...

This requires that you know the ID number of your custom profile field so go to the profile fields listing, hover the mouse over the button for editing and look at the number at the end of the URL:

image.png.8fc395fa89103ca1f4b8c8338108a344.png

So the above is 1, it will be used in the locations below where compared to $test

Edit core -> front -> global -> customFieldsDisplay

After:

{{foreach $fields as $field => $value}}

Add

{{$test = (int) str_replace('core_pfield_','',$field);}}
{{if $test != '1'}}

After:

</li>

Add:

{{endif}}

Edit forums > front -> topics -> postContainer

Before:

{{if $comment->author()->member_id}}

Add:

{{foreach $comment->author()->contentProfileFields() as $group => $fields}}
    {{foreach $fields as $field => $value}}
    {{$test = (int) str_replace('core_pfield_','',$field);}}
    {{if $test == '1'}}
    <li data-role='custom-field' class='ipsResponsive_hidePhone ipsType_break'>
        {$value|raw}
    </li>
    {{endif}}
    {{endforeach}}
{{endforeach}}

Result:

image.png.20a140b1aec07b19b0336e7a6f6f8d9e.png

Edited by Nathan Explosion

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, usmf said:

@Matt Is there a way to get the Member Title back under the user name but above the avatar? We use it for ID purposes on many accounts and need it there. Thanks.

Your guide above sets the title to show under location, and that is not working.

@Nathan Explosion guide above achieved it for me.

Edited by marklcfc

3 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

@Nathan Explosion guide above achieved it for me.

To clarify this - my guide placed it under the group name, which is below the avatar. It just requires a little modification of where to place the final block of code....so instead of placing it in this location...

On 7/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, Nathan Explosion said:

Edit forums > front -> topics -> postContainer

Before:

{{if $comment->author()->member_id}}

Instead you would place it before this:

<li data-role='photo' class='cAuthorPane_photo'>

4 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

To clarify this - my guide placed it under the group name, which is below the avatar. It just requires a little modification of where to place the final block of code....so instead of placing it in this location...

Instead you would place it before this:

<li data-role='photo' class='cAuthorPane_photo'>

That's it! Thanks! I just couldn't get it last night . . . probably working on this way too late. 🙂 Really appreciate the help.

30 minutes ago, usmf said:

The fix by @Nathan Explosion was perfect . . . however, I have just noticed that the title now shows up in member profiles in the left-hand column under a whole division called "Retained". This is no good. Is there a way to get it back to where it was before in the "About" area?

Edit it in Profile fields and change the group to profile information. That's what I did anyway.

member title.png

Edited by marklcfc

22 hours ago, marklcfc said:

Edit it in Profile fields and change the group to profile information. That's what I did anyway.

member title.png

Thanks so much! My mind was so sure it would be complicated, that I overlooked the obvious. Brilliant. I appreciate the help.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 4:18 PM, Matt said:

Invision Community 4.6 brings a brand new achievements system which overhauls the ranks system along with adding the ability to earn points which translates into a higher rank via rules.

As part of the clean-up, we removed the custom member title from the author section of the post as there's a limit to how much information we can show comfortably!

Of course, some communities used custom member titles and wish to continue using them. Fortunately it's easy enough to get them back.

Step 1: Log into the ACP and navigate to Members > Profiles > Profile Fields

Step 2: You will see a group called "Retained", inside is a new custom field called "Member Title". This profile field was used in the upgrade to save the custom member title data. Click on the pencil icon to edit.

ACP-1.jpg

Step 3: Post upgrade, this field is effectively switched off, but it can easily be switched back on. For the "Display format for topics" choose custom and just use: {$content} as the value. This will remove the "Member Title:" prefix. Save the changes.

ACP-2.jpg

You will now see the member title has been restored.

Custom-Title.jpg

Advanced tip:  Only do this if you are comfortable making theme edits! If it all goes wrong, don't panic. There is a revert button to undo your changes! Edit the template bit Forums > topics > postContainer in your active theme and move the block highlighted here up underneath the {{endif}} of the {{$comment->isAnonymous()}} block.

Template-edit.jpg

I'm sorry but I do not see almost any of this in my AdminCP.

24 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Are you logged in as an administrator with full access? All these areas are indeed present on the latest release which your site is using. Do you have other admin on there who can check this also?

Could you guys possibly think about reinstating this simple feature back to how it was, including the ability to set x amount of posts for users to be able to change their title. It’s simply missed and has nothing to do with achievements. 

4 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Could you guys possibly think about reinstating this simple feature back to how it was, including the ability to set x amount of posts for users to be able to change their title. It’s simply missed and has nothing to do with achievements. 

This is not something that would be re-added for the reason mentioned in the original post. You could create a field for the user to enter a custom title which you would then be able to include on the page if you wish, as discussed. However there is no way in which to do this by number of posts at present