Automatic update when admin folder does not names admin

Hi,

In the past, I've experienced some bugs when trying to update a community where the admin folder was named with a distinct name and protected by a .htaccess user/password. At that time (don't remember what version it was), the automatic download did create a new admin folder but the update did not work at all. I was forced to restore the saved copy made just before update and perform a manual update (download the whole community install file, unzip, rename admin folder, and move it over the instance to update). Since that time I still perform updates in that way, just to be sure there will be no problems...

So, I'm wondering if that "bug" has been solved since that old times where the automatic update was at its beginnings, or at least if somebody using a renamed admin folder, .htaccess password protected, has already succeed on a major version update without any problem (for example from 4.5.X to the last 4.6.X) ?

Thankyou

Edited by Dexter_X

Try it on your test install first and verify it won't be an issue before doing it in production.

If you don't have a test install, set one up.

This will help you find other bugs that may be new to you or issues you'll need to address without affecting your community.

3 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Try it on your test install first and verify it won't be an issue before doing it in production.

If you don't have a test install, set one up.

This will help you find other bugs that may be new to you or issues you'll need to address without affecting your community.

yes, you're right. I already have a sandbox copy for testing, but when I create a sandbox copy I rename back the admin folder to "admin" and I remove the .htaccess protection (stil to be sure avoiding that bug). I suppose I'll need to create a new one just to test update with admin folder renamed and protected...

3 hours ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

We attempt to account for renamed admin directories. If that is not working, then there's possibly a bug somewhere and you should submit a ticket.

ok, thankyou...

Initially I was asking for somebody's else experience to avoid making a new sandbox and test by myself... 😑

Edited by Dexter_X

11 hours ago, Dexter_X said:

when I create a sandbox copy I rename back the admin folder to "admin" and I remove the .htaccess protection (stil to be sure avoiding that bug).

That misses the point of a test environment. You want to ensure things are working exactly as you will have them configured in production. That way, when you make a change in test and breaks something in production, you know not to make the same change in production (and the flip side, if you make a change in test that doesn't break something, you can be reasonably confident that things won't break in production either).

1 hour ago, CoffeeCake said:

That misses the point of a test environment. You want to ensure things are working exactly as you will have them configured in production. That way, when you make a change in test and breaks something in production, you know not to make the same change in production (and the flip side, if you make a change in test that doesn't break something, you can be reasonably confident that things won't break in production either).

yes, my fault. It was just an easy way to avoid any problem. I can continue like that for long, but next time I'll do it to validate or see if the bug is still there...