What private community registration options do you suggest?

Hello,

We have an online subscription based membership hosted with a 3rd party service. We want to test another service to see if we can migrate to this new one.

The context is simple. We have monthly paid subscribers. When they subscribe to our service an account should get created on our Invision forum and when they cancel their subscription their account should be removed.

There's no way to integrate Invision with our services. Invision's Zapier integration is missing remove actions (pretty important actions) and the 3rd party services don't have an API either. I opened a feature request about Invision's Zaps half a year ago and no sign of anything happening to this day.

At this point I'd like to see what suggestions I can receive to automate account creation on the forum as much as possible.

So far this is what I came up with. Set up accounts by enabling manual revisions. Send a link to these users in their welcome email to ask them to manually create an account. When we receive accounts requests check and see if they indeed are subscribers before we approve them (100% we will get unsolicited requests from guests so they have to be vetted out). As for the second part of account removal, set up some kind of notification so that when somebody cancels their subscription we manually remove their forum account. Yep.

Thank you

Edited by Chris Sajnog

Just to state the obvious: Why not handle the subscriptions through Invision Community instead of a 3rd-party service? That’s one of the best things about Invision Community. It’s not just forum. You have the monitization options built in already. Using Invision Community for everything would solve your issue of syncing the users between services. 

5 hours ago, opentype said:

Just to state the obvious: Why not handle the subscriptions through Invision Community instead of a 3rd-party service? That’s one of the best things about Invision Community. It’s not just forum. You have the monitization options built in already. Using Invision Community for everything would solve your issue of syncing the users between services. 

Hi, I didn't know about that. Sounds like a handy feature. Still, it's not a solution as access to our private forum is just a feature that we give alongside the main product that is delivered through our 3rd party.

8 hours ago, Chris Sajnog said:

Invision's Zapier integration is missing remove actions (pretty important actions)

I don't know anything about Zapier and what's available in the cloud, but assuming there's a way to move members into a new group within Invision, could you create a group called "Inactive Subscription" or similar and move members into that group when their subscription expires?

You can then periodically prune those accounts if you have a need to do so.

Never mind, I got curious and found the documentation:

https://zapier.com/apps/invision-community/integrations

It looks like putting a member into a usergroup via Zapier isn't an option. All of the actions are "create" -- no "edit" or "move" or "modify."

Can you make API calls with your third party product?

https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/rest-api?endpoint=core/members/DELETEitem

16 hours ago, opentype said:

What kind of product is that?

It's an online video course with different access levels. This 3rd party is also our CRM. So using it is absolutely vital! It isn't a matter of selling digital products and simply moving them to Invision. We use it for list management, sending emails, tagging users, automations, sequences, sales page builder. It's an all-in-one service. You could say that the only thing that is missing is a forum feature.

13 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Zapier isn't an option. All of the actions are "create" -- no "edit" or "move" or "modify."

Exactly! I have a thread opened with this request.

13 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Can you make API calls with your third party product?

Thank you, like I said the service we want to use doesn't have an API yet.