Community

Very Slow Rebuilding Posts and Messages After 4.5 Upgrade

bizman

Hello, we recently upgraded our forum from V3 to V4.5. The upgrade was flawless, lasted for around 3 days. We thought we could finally turn the board online but then the software started rebuilding everything! Believe me when I say SLOW. The rebuilding process is progressing at 5% in a 24 hour period! That's 20 days offline! The good thing we copied everything first to another VM and made a subdomain classic.website.com. Our members are there now... the problem will happen when we turn on the main URL, we will have missing registrations and content for a month! hahaha

My question. How do we possibly speed this up? The server loads on the machines are 0.1 for the DB Server and 0.2 on the web server.

13 hours ago, CoffeeCake said:

Consider adjusting the rebuild constants. See:

<?php
\define('REBUILD_SLOW','50');
\define('REBUILD_NORMAL','250');
\define('REBUILD_QUICK','500');

Is this how it's supposed to be done? I just save this as a PHP file? I tried uploading this to the root but the server load remains very low. Thank you very much!

That documentation will tell you how to use constants.php, which is saved at the root of your IPS install as a file called constants.php. To see what the default values are, look at init.php in the root of your install. You can increase these values to sizes that make more sense for your environment.

You can change the value which will increase the number of items to process per iteration, yet you will want to test this on your test environment first before making a change in production.

It sounds like your server load would be able to handle larger increments from your statement that the load is very low, however making these changes without understanding them is dangerous, especially in a production environment. You'd want to ensure you had backups of everything first.

Personally, I would recommend leaving those values as they are and making sure that you use cron to run the tasks. The tasks when ran via cron will process as much data as they can within the allowance of server resources.

Increasing these values may result in less data being processed over the same amount of time.