Hump Day: 4.6.0 soft launch 🤫

46.png

Happy Hump Day, fam. Today's a big day (I know I always say that every Hump Day but... tenor.gif)

*Says in a whisper* We've officially soft launched 4.6 🤫 🎉 

It's a soft launch because, well, you know how things can go 🔥. However, we're pretty darn satisfied with this rollout. Possibly The best ever. A more formal announcement will arrive in the near future.   

Right now, 4.6 is available for those on Cloud or those who've tested out our several Beta releases.

In case there's a glitch in the matrix, please make a backup of your community before upgrading. 

If you need a refresher, @Matt laid out what is new in 4.6 in our latest blog post.

Speaking of, I asked our Director of Development to share his thoughts on this release: 

"The first thing to say is that it’s a team effort. There have been personal Herculean efforts to bring 4.6.0 to life. From planning right through to testing, multiple people are involved in every step of the way," he said.

"For me personally, big new releases tend to feel like a marathon. You press go and you’re off for months working on new features, tweaking ideas and concepts and working hard to bring it all together to cross the finish line."

Matt added, "I absolutely love what I do and feel especially proud on release day!"

🥲 In regards to 4.6, Matt said Invision Community "continues to build on its stable community platform by adding multiple new features."

Some of these include "anonymous posting; ideal for mental and physical health communities that can now allow their members to post questions anonymously, no-code integration with 3,000 other apps with Zapier, better mobile support, improved solved topic functionality and the brand new achievements system designed to nudge and reward good behavior and content."

"This release elevates your community experience with Invision Community significantly through multiple touch points."

We hope you guys enjoy 4.6 as much as we do!

Bringing this plane home... Since it's tradition, here are a list of updates since Beta 3 was released last week:

- Fixed an issue where the expiration date for a Member Subscription would not update when editing the subscription purchase.
- Fixed an issue where PayPal Billing Agreements / Subscriptions may not charge the correct value for sales tax.
- Improved performance when generating comment widgets on large sites.
- Fixed an issue where adding a theme setting to a parent theme didn't update children themes with the new setting
- Fixed an issue where the SQL Toolbox couldn't display query results
- Fixed an issue where the register button in the checkout process didn't open in a new tab if redirect registration is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the full upgrader would show an empty error box.
- Fixed an issue where moving members after searching on a freeform custom field could return incorrect results.
 - Fixed an issue where online/recently browsing counts can be incorrect.

Thoughts on the official launch of 4.6?! Drop us a line in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!

Been using 4.6 since beta 1 through beta 4 and now upgraded to 4.6 official, no issues using or upgrading bar one and that is under investigation and it's not a deal breaker.  Love the new features, now I just need to see how fast it is to use real time.  Am I correct in saying that 4.6 works with PHP 8, as I have that version available to me? 

Fantastic work team, really fantastic work and I'm proud to be using the end result of all your efforts and will continue to do so for as long as I am able 🙂

200.gif

I was online this morning and noticed the upgrade page here on Invision. But I think my 1st clue that we were on the final release was the bug tracker soon vanished afterward. 😅

I am still waiting on the CKEditor v4 fix that will resolve Mozilla Firefox Mobile. I figure it will be a few months before CKEditor fixes that (that's not an Invision issue, but still).  I, of course, also need to figure out why IN_DEV does not work for me.  For now, 4.6 is something for me to play with and play with I shall.

1 hour ago, Davyc said:

Been using 4.6 since beta 1 through beta 4 and now upgraded to 4.6 official, no issues using or upgrading bar one and that is under investigation and it's not a deal breaker.  Love the new features, now I just need to see how fast it is to use real time.  Am I correct in saying that 4.6 works with PHP 8, as I have that version available to me? 

Fantastic work team, really fantastic work and I'm proud to be using the end result of all your efforts and will continue to do so for as long as I am able 🙂

200.gif

how about third party plugins compatibility?

@Matt @Jordan Invision
Just to add, is there still a bug on rebuilding achievement? It's just cycling between:

Processing RebuildAchievements - core_Reaction -  60742 / 60742
Processing RebuildAchievements - core_Comment -  55078 / 55078

The % is going up - it's at 158.82%? I'll let it continue just in case it still trying to complete.

Update - It finally finished, but not before showing my a 503 error and restarting the manual process again.

Edited by Dean_

Yeah errors still all over the forums and Pages apps:

image.thumb.png.51309060bfb4b1d3354b893f649ddd04.png

This is the default theme not a third party theme.

And on pages: this part of the error report:

TypeError: count(): Argument #1 ($var) must be of type Countable|array, null given (0)
#0 /homepages/applications/cms/sources/Theme/Theme.php(610) : eval()'d code(538): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->entry(Object(IPS\cms\Records1), Object(IPS\cms\Databases))
#1 /homepages/applications/cms/modules/front/database/index.php(142): IPS\Theme\class_cms_database_category_articles->index(Object(IPS\cms\Databases), Object(IPS\Patterns\ActiveRecordIterator), Object(IPS\Http\Url\Friendly), Array)

I had one plugin which I disabled. Switched back to PHP 7.4 and everything works.

8 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

46.png

Happy Hump Day, fam. Today's a big day (I know I always say that every Hump Day but... tenor.gif)

*Says in a whisper* We've officially soft launched 4.6 🤫 🎉 

It's a soft launch because, well, you know how things can go 🔥. However, we're pretty darn satisfied with this rollout. Possibly The best ever. A more formal announcement will arrive in the near future.   

Right now, 4.6 is available for those on Cloud or those who've tested out our several Beta releases.

In case there's a glitch in the matrix, please make a backup of your community before upgrading. 

If you need a refresher, @Matt laid out what is new in 4.6 in our latest blog post.

Speaking of, I asked our Director of Development to share his thoughts on this release: 

🥲 In regards to 4.6, Matt said Invision Community "continues to build on its stable community platform by adding multiple new features."

Some of these include "anonymous posting; ideal for mental and physical health communities that can now allow their members to post questions anonymously, no-code integration with 3,000 other apps with Zapier, better mobile support, improved solved topic functionality and the brand new achievements system designed to nudge and reward good behavior and content."

"This release elevates your community experience with Invision Community significantly through multiple touch points."

We hope you guys enjoy 4.6 as much as we do!

Bringing this plane home... Since it's tradition, here are a list of updates since Beta 3 was released last week:

- Fixed an issue where the expiration date for a Member Subscription would not update when editing the subscription purchase.
- Fixed an issue where PayPal Billing Agreements / Subscriptions may not charge the correct value for sales tax.
- Improved performance when generating comment widgets on large sites.
- Fixed an issue where adding a theme setting to a parent theme didn't update children themes with the new setting
- Fixed an issue where the SQL Toolbox couldn't display query results
- Fixed an issue where the register button in the checkout process didn't open in a new tab if redirect registration is enabled.
- Fixed an issue where the full upgrader would show an empty error box.
- Fixed an issue where moving members after searching on a freeform custom field could return incorrect results.
 - Fixed an issue where online/recently browsing counts can be incorrect.

Thoughts on the official launch of 4.6?! Drop us a line in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!

Is there a way to know when our critical plugins/apps support 4.6... coming from someone who is still on 4.4 and was waiting for probably 4.6.2 to go live...

Def congrats on the 4.6 gold btw!!

10 hours ago, Fast Lane! said:

Is there a way to know when our critical plugins/apps support 4.6

The only way is when it shows in the marketplace as compatible with 4.6 For some developers with loads of apps it may take a while, others may decide that it's not worth the effort to update.  That's the downside of relying on third party apps - the upside, of course, is that they give us what we want - but that's only for as long as they decide to support them.  Just make sure that you have logged into the ACP marketplace and have checked the box in the marketplace here to be informed of updates.

image.png.c65858d9342208fd57cfc1bbbadcde7d.png

Edited by Davyc
Added screenshot

Hey @Jordan Invision Please pass along my thanks to the team and congratulate them on a great job, both on running through the beta process at a good pace (unlike the app 😉) and still managing to push an enormous amount of features, fixes and improvements. It absolutely cannot be taken for granted. 

We're itching to upgrade but since we didn't take part in the beta we're still unable to do it without it being a small pain, so we're putting it off at the moment. Do you guys have a target date for a full release or will it be taken step-by-step like you did with the betas?