Learning to code

Hi,

I’m thinking of learning to code and have a few questions if anybody would be so good to reply. 

I presume that Invision is centred around html/css and possibly JavaScript? Not asking how long it would take to learn them as I’m sure that depends on how much time somebody can dedicate to it, how quickly they learn etc BUT if I did learn them and got pretty fluid with it, how hard is it to go from that to learning the way that Invisions sdk works. Is Invision written in the same code that I would learn with html/css etc? 

I think I could pick them up within a few months but I feel that the logic behind it all “I know the code but how do I do this” would be the hardest part for me. 

Edited by alphamale

Invision (broadly) uses five languages:

Front End - things that run in the context of a user's browser:

1. JavaScript (often in the form of reusable libraries)
  2. CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
  3. HTML (HyperText Markup Language) - all web sites use this, and

Backend - things that run on a server:

1. PHP -- what actually runs on the server
  2. In addition, SQL is used through extraction layers in PHP via MySQL (or its swap in, MariaDB).

You will also find some use of JSON and XML. And you will find interactions with other technologies via PHP such as elasticsearch and Redis.

Your ability to establish working proficiency in any of these and then to develop an understanding of the existing codebase is an exercise we can only speculate about. I'd recommend looking for open, free courses that touch on the basics of PHP and front-end web development and see for yourself your ability to pick things up. Many of us have no formal education on these things and have largely taught ourselves. Many of us have formal education in one or more of these areas.

If you have the desire and drive, you're most of the way there.

@CoffeeCake Yeah lots to learn then. 

Think I’m going to learn html then css then JavaScript. Get fluent in front end and then tackle the back end. 

If only so that I understand plugins and how to do things. Hardest thing that I have found with code isn’t so much the code, it’s the little things that go with it such as ; < > { } etc 

Matt

Edited by alphamale

Just now, alphamale said:

@CoffeeCake Yeah lots to learn then. 

Think I’m going to learn html then css then JavaScript. Get fluent in front end and then tackle the back end. 

If only so that I understand plugins and how to do things. 

Matt

Those programming languages that you mentioned will help you with the design aspect of things. If you want to learn to understand plugins/app and eventually develop them yourself, you will need to learn php/oop and sql as well.

Have a look at this site to learn the basics.

https://www.w3schools.com/

Yes, find reputable and recognized places for knowledge, just as you'd search for any other product or service online. 🙂

Depending on your learning style, seek out paid or free training/courses from reputable providers (consider looking into MOOCs) or go straight to the source for documentation:

• 2 months later...
On 4/21/2021 at 4:17 PM, alphamale said:

Hi,

I’m thinking of learning to code and have a few questions if anybody would be so good to reply. 

I presume that Invision is centred around html/css and possibly JavaScript? Not asking how long it would take to learn them as I’m sure that depends on how much time somebody can dedicate to it, how quickly they learn etc BUT if I did learn them and got pretty fluid with it, how hard is it to go from that to learning the way that Invisions sdk works. Is Invision written in the same code that I would learn with html/css etc? 

I think I could pick them up within a few months but I feel that the logic behind it all “I know the code but how do I do this” would be the hardest part for me. 

its easy to learn all of that and you dont need to follow learning websites like w3schools or learning html first and then css! this is confusing you will get bored.

heres how you will learn very easy and very fast in just a couple months with complete knowledge of html/css/js/php...whatever you want... 😄 

first off since you are already here, then download IPS and install it in localhost so that you can play around with css/htm/js/php..... to learn.) you can use WAMP server on windows to install IPS https://www.wampserver.com/en/ 

then create a theme and start to learn by playing with the default ips theme in ACP. you have html/css/js templates including the php tags ips uses so you will learn all of that. remove the logo, move it somewhere else or play with the css and change the logo color or background. you will see how things work in the html/css templates and if you have questions like what is this { } or this <> then just remove them my friend! see what happens! and then google what is it for 😄 

Edited by TAMAN