Multiple owners/authors

Morrigan

I’ve complained before that wiki editing shouldn’t have an original author, or owner, at all. While the authors/editors should be in the editing history the listing itself should never truly have a single author.

Conor Mckenna Goodbye GIF by FoilArmsandHog

It should be possible, especially in pages, to set multiple owners. You see this behavior on major websites such as Microsoft where the people that have contributed/have ownership of the listing are listed as “contributors”. I would like to empower my users to allow secondary editors to some of the contributions so those people also have the ability to edit their content. Sort of like adding a moderator to a forum, do it at the listing level in pages.

Casually I want to open a suggest about giving specific member to edit first post of topic without administrator permission.

My case is using forums to handle the teamwork discussion, sometime the moderator just need to create topic title and the first post content incompleted, because need other member editing the first post to complete the content, then changing it while the discussion go forward.

And keep the history of changes saved, something like Article, the collaboration of content. 

Example, user A create a topic to follow a project, in the post user A need leave a budget amount to start, but user B is who approve and take decision of the amount, so user B just change the amount of budget what he want, then through the history saved we can know the amount is suggested by x amount, then is changed and decided to x amount by user B. 

So no more asking and waiting user A for correction of the project information.

I don’t want this suggestion to get diluted! Please!!

I am looking for the ability to say “this is my article but I trust person1, person23 and person 1007 to make changes” and from there they have the same rights as the owner to make changes to the article.

I’m not exclusively talking about wiki editing in which doesn’t have a real owner and all members can edit. Wiki editing has a mess of its own that needs to be solved first before this feature is permissible.

Edited by Morrigan

14 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I am looking for the ability to say “this is my article but I trust person1, person23 and person 1007 to make changes” and from there they have the same rights as the owner to make changes to the article.

I’m not exclusively talking about wiki editing in which doesn’t have a real owner and all members can edit. Wiki editing has a mess of its own that needs to be solved first before this feature is permissible.

So in this scenario, it'd be a per Topic setting.

In that Topic setting, on the initial post of the topic (the topic starter), there'd a button that'd say "add authors." Once added, those members would be able to edit the post. Is that right? 

@InvisionHQ Whatcha think? :] 

Love this btw

Again, I don't think this is a feature that needs to be added to forums. This is a feature that needs to be added to pages. Pages has its own thing and I think that Topics need to be unique to the users and SHOULD NOT be shared by multiple people. Pages articles/records, on the other hand, should have this capability especially on large sites where you want content submitters but not necessarily a million moderators.

Its like "group blog" adjacent but at the article/record level of pages where you can add those that are permitted to make changes to the article that are non-staff members.

So:

1. I own an article but I need you @Jordan Invision to be able to edit the article because you're a person that knows about the subject/article/company/listing/thing that the article is about.
  2. I add you as "additional editors" or whatever you want to call it. Now, even though you're not a mod/admin you have the "can edit" functionality on my article, you can click edit and make changes as needed but I still own the article.
  3. Then, lets say you are no longer the business on this article and or no longer interested in updating it. I can remove you and add someone else to edit said article.

That mod only works if you are also using the "account switcher" mod and you allow people to create accounts that multiple people can log into. Which is technically the only solution for what I'm asking for at the moment but the account security there makes me cringe.

6 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

So in this scenario, it'd be a per Topic setting.

In that Topic setting, on the initial post of the topic (the topic starter), there'd a button that'd say "add authors." Once added, those members would be able to edit the post. Is that right? 

@InvisionHQ Whatcha think? :] 

Love this btw

It seems only change author. 

1. The original author still own the topic? 

2. Can be added more than one author? 

😅Maybe you will say to me, ask to app author for modifications and support. 

Obviously hope that can be added as core features. 

• 3 weeks later...

I discover the Wiki features and realize that it is not possible to define a unique author in the page module. This would avoid having to edit thousands of articles to assign them to a fictitious member.

Edited by MEVi

On 4/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, Morrigan said:

I’ve complained before that wiki editing shouldn’t have an original author, or owner, at all. While the authors/editors should be in the editing history the listing itself should never truly have a single author.

Conor Mckenna Goodbye GIF by FoilArmsandHog

It should be possible, especially in pages, to set multiple owners. You see this behavior on major websites such as Microsoft where the people that have contributed/have ownership of the listing are listed as “contributors”. I would like to empower my users to allow secondary editors to some of the contributions so those people also have the ability to edit their content. Sort of like adding a moderator to a forum, do it at the listing level in pages.

Sort of like the group blog feature that the Blog have?

In a Wiki-like page it would be nice to list all contributors rather than original poster. How to present this would depend a bit on the amount of contributors though....

If we have this information available in the templates, then we should be able to modify it accordingly....

On 4/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, Morrigan said:

Again, I don't think this is a feature that needs to be added to forums. This is a feature that needs to be added to pages. Pages has its own thing and I think that Topics need to be unique to the users and SHOULD NOT be shared by multiple people. Pages articles/records, on the other hand, should have this capability especially on large sites where you want content submitters but not necessarily a million moderators.

Its like "group blog" adjacent but at the article/record level of pages where you can add those that are permitted to make changes to the article that are non-staff members.

So:

1. I own an article but I need you @Jordan Invision to be able to edit the article because you're a person that knows about the subject/article/company/listing/thing that the article is about.
  2. I add you as "additional editors" or whatever you want to call it. Now, even though you're not a mod/admin you have the "can edit" functionality on my article, you can click edit and make changes as needed but I still own the article.
  3. Then, lets say you are no longer the business on this article and or no longer interested in updating it. I can remove you and add someone else to edit said article.

That mod only works if you are also using the "account switcher" mod and you allow people to create accounts that multiple people can log into. Which is technically the only solution for what I'm asking for at the moment but the account security there makes me cringe.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, Morrigan said:

1 minute ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Sort of like the group blog feature that the Blog have?

In a Wiki-like page it would be nice to list all contributors rather than original poster. How to present this would depend a bit on the amount of contributors though....

If we have this information available in the templates, then we should be able to modify it accordingly....

I also need this functionality often. Just because someone started a record, doesn’t mean others should not be recognized. They might have done most of the work. 

I set this up as custom MySQL query with some of my databases: 

113155912_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-25um17_55_59.png.a1f3a5eb649d975cb72201da3118814e.png

Better control for who can edit would also be nice. I guess the typical way to do this is to allow “invitations” for contributors instead of letting all members edit. 

I need this, someone can do something before IPS add it as part of core? 

In my use case, I need invite contributors for a topic or a category, or article, then only them can see that collaboration content. 

28 minutes ago, kmk said:

I need this, someone can do something before IPS add it as part of core? 

In my use case, I need invite contributors for a topic or a category, or article, then only them can see that collaboration content. 

Please use the requests forum as this is wholly intended for Pages, not forums. Thanks.