"Follow" custom categories?

Fast Lane!

A member on my site suggested that there could be a way to create "custom" (per user) categories for threads that they follow.  This would allow them to digest things better than a huge list of followed threads.  So when they follow they would get a drop down of categories they have defined (if more than the default of one).  When they view followed threads, they would be listed under either the default or customer categories to help them find things.

Seems like a useful idea?!

22 hours ago, Fast Lane! said:

A member on my site suggested that there could be a way to create "custom" (per user) categories for threads that they follow.  This would allow them to digest things better than a huge list of followed threads.  So when they follow they would get a drop down of categories they have defined (if more than the default of one).  When they view followed threads, they would be listed under either the default or customer categories to help them find things.

Seems like a useful idea?!

I vaguely recall this being a thing in vBulletin (either v3 or v4), where subscriptions to threads could be sorted into folders.

11 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

Interesting idea. Question: if topics include tags, couldn't the member in theory just follow that tag? The tag could represent a category.

For instance on my community, you can follow the tag "Lady Gaga" which could serve as a category for anything Gaga-related. Thoughts? 

It would require the topic to be tagged.  My members basically want a way to organize threads they are either tracking or want to "save" for future reference.  Their organization style is unique to them.