Add primary and secondary group memberships on registration?

Is there any way to control what group memberships are added at registration?

Of course, on registration, any joining user will get the MEMBERS primary group ( ID 3, I think). Is there a way to add them to other secondary groups?

Since it works when the account is changed at any time it also works on registration.

I add two groups to my members when they register:

1. New People - Which gives them special blocks for the first week of their time on my site. A little extra guidance etc.
  2. Prospective 2 - Which gives them the ability to post in the places I don't want guests to PBR on.

@MorriganI was just looking at group promotions. How do you set the criteria so it will work on registration? "Less than 0 days ago"?

We have a group promotion that looks at anyone in a primary group for 7 days and then moves them to a different group.

image.png.3c7fee2332851288422f9ce21c66ae0e.png

What we're trying to achieve is giving them a secondary group on registration, then changing it after 7 days if they haven't converted in some other way (like a purchase)

I choose the group that they are in by default. I choose Less than 7 days (at least for mine it can be less than one days) and it will add it. You can always remove the secondary group on all other promotion/group changes even if they don't have it. The removal just checks to see if its there and if it is it removes it.

So in your case:

• Less than 1 day
  • In Members group
  • Add Secondary Group

Then when they get moved etc either via promotion or purchasing a subscription you should be able to remove the secondary group. If the subscription doesn't let you remove it then what you do is you add a group promotion rule for the subscription groups that removes it:

• Is in Subscription group
  • Remove secondary group

That would remove it the moment they subscribe etc.

@MorriganThank you! MIND: *blown*

Set up on our test server, the new registration was added to the Primary group (members) and secondary groups in the Promotion. Nice.

Now to see if the new user gets changed after signup. I set at joined after 1 day to see if it works as expected.

Thank you!!

18 minutes ago, mcsg said:

Now to see if the new user gets changed after signup. I set at joined after 1 day to see if it works as expected.

Just note that promotions only run on account change. Which means that if something doesn't trigger a member update it won't run this promotion. It can be anything (log in, log out, update post count etc).

23 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Just note that promotions only run on account change. Which means that if something doesn't trigger a member update it won't run this promotion. It can be anything (log in, log out, update post count etc).

I'm trying to figure out what triggers the initial group promotion to run.

I have 2 promotions:

image.png.09c29444768fa1cdd0205c6bae2cce0c.png

On registration looks like this:

image.png.35602f03c3bac0ba678e8c8639bf791b.png

Moves Primary and Secondary to add group TRIAL

When I register from guest, then validate the guest email as the guest, the On registration Group Promotion never seems to run because the Member list does not show the secondary groups.

I log out and back in as the new member, but the Group Promotion does not trigger to add the Secondary group.

If I open the member in the ACP, it seems to trigger the Group Promotion, but I don't want to have to do that for every new member, of course.

Is there not a scheduled task or similar that runs from the cron job that touches all these accounts to check for promotions?

Or maybe I'm missing something in the Group Promotion configuration?

So what is in that first rule?

No scheduled tasks and logging out/in should trigger this as per @bfarber's constant reminder that it does.

Mine secondary group promotion works upon registration. I'll show you here:

image.png.5bd73a695dca5cf26c589ed8bd30dc08.png

image.thumb.png.ddd2da56dd97a41a9bc69e139192de01.png

image.png.a71a24c982752070b2c381039f9c5ffe.png

(I apparently really need to fix those colors lol)

image.thumb.png.ad386f725e26ecbf013033f8b4f7f856.png

Note it hasn't even been approved yet and it already has my 2 secondary groups.

5 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

Note it hasn't even been approved yet and it already has my 2 secondary groups.

I was thinking that it didn't work unless I clicked into the account in the ACP, but I see now (thanks to you!) that it is working, but but displaying as I expected:

I created a new account as a guest and saw this in the Member List. No secondary groups listed for mcheck+trialpromote

image.png.69d370d43af0547fb6deca95568dceaa.png

But then I waited for a bit and then looked at the member record:

image.png.0c4ba7753e5ff77a6fb09e5950028f23.png

And saw this from 4 hours ago (at the bottom of the log)

image.png.79d165ec2337ec5902ec90e05b8f880f.png

So it did work, but the secondary group does not show up on the Member List!!

So now the question is, why do some Secondary Groups show on the Member List and other do not?

Perhaps because they are added via Purchases or manually? Not sure.

Either way, thank you @Morriganfor helping us understand this (hidden) feature!

Now I will see if the other Group Promotion runs and changes the Member to TRIAL EXPIRED after a day (The other Group Promotion in my list)

On 3/22/2021 at 12:16 PM, Morrigan said:

So in your case:

• Less than 1 day
  • In Members group
  • Add Secondary Group

Then when they get moved etc either via promotion or purchasing a subscription you should be able to remove the secondary group. If the subscription doesn't let you remove it then what you do is you add a group promotion rule for the subscription groups that removes it:

• Is in Subscription group
  • Remove secondary group

That would remove it the moment they subscribe etc.

I have been trying to get this right and I just can't seem to nail it.

I have set up the first rule and it seems to work, moving new MEMBERS group, joined <1day ago, to a TRIAL secondary group.

But when the user purchases the product that moves them in to the PREMIUM group, I cannot remove the TRIAL from secondary according your second rule above.
Products do not allow you to *remove* secondary groups as a benefit, only add them.
And, I think because of the highlighted part here, group changes from products do not run group promotions...

image.png.1d268c2d7a314dadd2a2e75d41e75408.png