Add translation into existing language

Ilya Hoilik

Hello! The problem is you can't add a third-party translation of a third-party application into the existing language already installed from the acp marketplace. This is very annoying especially for non-English communities with third-party applications or even custom self-made applications. Users can't combine multiple language packs into one single language.

I told support about the issue and just got an answer from @Daniel F that "the feature is working as intended and we have no plans to change the behaviour". Yeah, I think it means "we do not want to make your community solid and clean". Why you can't just make a good software for everyone, not only for English-speakers?

And I'm silent about problems with update check of languages, uncomfortable 'translate' page, glitchy 'out of date' filter and so on. Uploaded my language pack March 22, 2015 and it is on #1 place by reviews, views and downloads (previously #2, but German was deleted). And I got 'oh, sorry, it is not in our priority'. That's very encouraging! Awesome, thanks!

I really hate doing this (mean mass-ping), but... @Matt @Lindy

Thank you for your time. Hope we will be able to improve current situation.

Edited by Ilya Hoilik

19 hours ago, Daniel F said:

the language system in IPS 4.x is unfortunatly quite limited and requires a full rewrite

I guess I know what will be my favourite feature in 5.0 (2022? 2023? 2024?) 😉 

P.S. I really hate \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack(). Wanna a shortcode like \IPS\Lang::getString() 🙂

14 minutes ago, Ilya Hoilik said:

P.S. I really hate \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack(). Wanna a shortcode like \IPS\Lang::getString() 🙂

You could use live templates or snippets to automate this;) I have probably 50 snippets making my life easier:)

https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/tutorial-creating-and-applying-live-templates-code-snippets.html

Or, if it's only for your own usage, create some helper functions

if(!function_exists('l'))
{
	function l()
	{
		$args = \func_get_args();
		return \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack(  ...$args );
	}
}

if(!function_exists('lg'))
{
	function lg($key)