Choose who sees widgets?

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

Since the addition of the "Page Builder" widgets in 4.5 I've been using the text one as sort of a headline replacement for widgets with lackluster headlines. But I've noticed that some of the widgets are visible to only some members, the text widget is visible to everyone (or at least there is no way to determine who can see it). That way, now for example - we have a subscriptions widget that only non-subs can see, and a "Get A Subscription" headline that everyone can see and for subscribers looks really out of place. 

So that got me thinking - why not add a universal "who can see this" selector on all widgets? That way we can tie in the headlines with the actual widgets they "belong" to. 

• Solution
33 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

So that got me thinking - why not add a universal "who can see this" selector on all widgets? That way we can tie in the headlines with the actual widgets they "belong" to. 

It kind of exist already. You just need to create a custom Pages block from the widget you need permissions for. 

Well, it can be done, But it adds SO MUCH work. It forces you to make and have multiple versions of what is basically the same widget and forces you to go into the ACP in order to change anything - so you have to remove and re-add the widget every time you change something. All that is regardless of the fact I needed to be told about the possibility of doing this. 
I mean, it does work and thanks for the tip, but it's kind of like asking for a box of matches and being told "you can already smash two rocks together" 😄 

So what are you trying to achieve? If you want to make a feature request to IPS, you would need to use the Feature Suggestions forum. 
But you posted in Help & Support, so I assumed you are looking for exactly the kind of help I provided. Telling you how you can achieve what you asked for. It’s kind of weird not to say “thank you” but “it’s too much work” for you. 

Edited by opentype

3 minutes ago, opentype said:

you would need to use the Feature Suggestions forum. 

You know what, I think I should have. I kinda blanked on the existence of that forum before opening the thread (I've never fully understood what goes where in those forums...).
And don't get me wrong - I appreciate the help, and I will (actually already have) implement it. I was however aiming for this to be a suggestion.

I guess that's what you'd call a brain fart 😅