Emoji sorting

Maxxius

Agreed! I've seen this suggested several times before here, and personally I would definitely use this.

Ideally the option to re-arrange emoji categories (especially putting custom emojis higher up), and even customise which emojis show in the emoji box, rather than a simple yes/no of whether to show emojis. Right now you either have to have thousands of them, or none of them. 

Edited by theipsguy

15 minutes ago, Jordan Invision said:

My logic is that most people are on their phones, so they can just use their emoji keyboard versus selecting it above.

What happens in this instance? If you turn off the emoji selector, are emojis stripped out of mobile input? What's the expected outcome here?

I can see at least four possible user stories:

• As a community manager, I want to be able to add my custom emojis into preexisting categories or new categories, and select the order in which those categories appear in the emoji picker.
  • As a community manager, I don't want my members to be able to insert emojis in the text of their content.
  • As a community manager, I want the emojis available to my members to be limited to a set of pre-approved emojis and disallow the inclusion of anything not on my pre-approved list.
  • As a community manager, I want the list of emojis in the emoji picker to be limited to a select group of pre-approved emojis, still allowing a member to insert emojis using their native keyboard.

5 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

What happens in this instance? If you turn off the emoji selector, are emojis stripped out of mobile input? What's the expected outcome here?

I can see at least four possible user stories:

• As a community manager, I want to be able to add my custom emojis into preexisting categories or new categories, and select the order in which those categories appear in the emoji picker.
  • As a community manager, I don't want my members to be able to insert emojis in the text of their content.
  • As a community manager, I want the emojis available to my members to be limited to a set of pre-approved emojis and disallow the inclusion of anything not on my pre-approved list.
  • As a community manager, I want the list of emojis in the emoji picker to be limited to a select group of pre-approved emojis, still allowing a member to insert emojis using their native keyboard.

Here's what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 9.20.57 AM.png

There isn't even an option for standard emojis like --> 😎

I think if you want your users to have a more tailored list of emojis, perhaps manually upload and sort them 😊 

It appears I am going with option #4: "As a community manager, I want the list of emojis in the emoji picker to be limited to a select group of pre-approved emojis, still allowing a member to insert emojis using their native keyboard." 

That to me is the best of both worlds. People can select what you as the community leader have implemented in the admin panel, or if it's not there they can fire up their emoji keyboard. 

Understood @Jordan Invision.

4 hours ago, theipsguy said:

even customise which emojis show in the emoji box, rather than a simple yes/no of whether to show emojis. Right now you either have to have thousands of them, or none of them. 

This could be interpreted many different ways.

"I disabled the poop emoji, but my members are still posting it! BUG! HELP!!!!! I PAID MONEY FOR THIS!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??!?!??!?1!?!1111one one one 💩"

I'd really love to see something that resembles how Discord displays their emojis. It makes a large selection of options far more manageable by showing your frequently used emojis first, followed by custom ones, then the standard ones. The side bar option makes navigating very fast, and it also show all the different codes to trigger that emoji all in the same box. Oh and GIFs as well 🙂

Just as individual discords can have their own emoji sets, there is an opportunity to integrate that idea into Clubs and allow each club to have their own emoji set they can use elsewhere in the Suite (or not depending on the setting). 

GPD3BX.jpg

All in all, any improvements are more than welcome whatever the case.

Edited by kotaco

Yeah I like discord type emojis.

Also another thing I kinda like twitter emojis, I've enabled them on my board but what irks me that whenever I open the emoji list it takes 2-3 seconds to load them up. I can't wrap my head around why this cane be loaded and cached away. Seems like it is loaded in its entirety on every page load. I almost cant believe this is a thing. 😞

22 hours ago, Paul E. said:

Understood @Jordan Invision.

This could be interpreted many different ways.

"I disabled the poop emoji, but my members are still posting it! BUG! HELP!!!!! I PAID MONEY FOR THIS!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM??!?!??!?1!?!1111one one one 💩"

I never thought of the option of somehow blocking emojis. That'd be like trying to block photos. Which sounds like an interesting feature doesn't it 🤠

7 hours ago, Maxxius said:

what irks me that whenever I open the emoji list it takes 2-3 seconds to load them up. I can't wrap my head around why this cane be loaded and cached away. Seems like it is loaded in its entirety on every page load. I almost cant believe this is a thing. 😞

Absolutely terrible experience, but the alternative isn't a choice for us. Much improvement can be done here.

• Management
11 hours ago, Maxxius said:

Yeah I like discord type emojis.

Also another thing I kinda like twitter emojis, I've enabled them on my board but what irks me that whenever I open the emoji list it takes 2-3 seconds to load them up. I can't wrap my head around why this cane be loaded and cached away. Seems like it is loaded in its entirety on every page load. I almost cant believe this is a thing. 😞

4.6 has improvements to load time for emoji menu, particularly on mobile.

• 1 year later...