Smart Recommended Topics [Support Topic]

I've just installed your update this morning into our test site.

I then cleared everything and it was working. I then started to reactivate everything and I eventually found that the plug-in – "live topics" seems to clash with it. In other words when live topics is enabled, the site crashes when you want to access a topic.

I then went and tried it on our live site. I cleared the cache – and and then disabled "live topics" after having installed the most recent version of your application. I then expected it to start working based on the results from our test site.

Amazingly, it didn't work. The site crashed.

So it's very bizarre. There is a clash between – live topics – and your application on our test site. But on our live site, clearly there is a different clash.

The only other changes that whereas with the earlier version of your application, it crashed the whole site. Now it is behaving exactly the same as with the testsite. It is crashing the topics but the front page forum view works as normal and doesn't seem to have any issues.

If you want to access our test site and have a look then by all means do. However, I'm afraid that I don't think I can do any more at the moment. I'm happy to support you in trying to find out the problem and I would be happy to use your application once you understand what the problem is and have rectified it.

If you haven't understood my explanation here then please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

32 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I've just installed your update this morning into our test site.

I then cleared everything and it was working. I then started to reactivate everything and I eventually found that the plug-in – "live topics" seems to clash with it. In other words when live topics is enabled, the site crashes when you want to access a topic.

I then went and tried it on our live site. I cleared the cache – and and then disabled "live topics" after having installed the most recent version of your application. I then expected it to start working based on the results from our test site.

Amazingly, it didn't work. The site crashed.

So it's very bizarre. There is a clash between – live topics – and your application on our test site. But on our live site, clearly there is a different clash.

The only other changes that whereas with the earlier version of your application, it crashed the whole site. Now it is behaving exactly the same as with the testsite. It is crashing the topics but the front page forum view works as normal and doesn't seem to have any issues.

If you want to access our test site and have a look then by all means do. However, I'm afraid that I don't think I can do any more at the moment. I'm happy to support you in trying to find out the problem and I would be happy to use your application once you understand what the problem is and have rectified it.

If you haven't understood my explanation here then please let me know and I'll try to clarify.

ok, 

I uninstalled the previous version of the smart recommended topics then installed the new version( latest version that I've sent you (PM))
I enabled the plug-in – "live topics", then added widgets in forum index and topic detail .
it's working

please check it!

Well done. That's great. I reactivated most of the other plug-ins on the testsite and it still working – so so far so good.

Thanks for all your efforts so far – now I have to see if I can get it going on the live site.

Are you saying that the version you've installed is not the same as the one on the marketplace?

16 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Are you saying that the version you've installed is not the same as the one on the marketplace?

Yes, is not the same
I will let you know when the new version is approved. 
Thanks, and I'm sorry you got in trouble.

Use it and let me know if you have an idea

Please Use version 1.0.2 (Not yet confirmed)

Edited by ReyDev

Great news. It seems to work on the live site.

I cleared the cache – just in case but other than that I didn't bother to enable or disable anything else. I just manually installed and nothing crashed.

I configured the widget and it seems to be fine.

We'll see how it behaves over the next few days.

One question already though is how can I change the background colour of the little medallion/round thingy which forms the background of the number of replies?

You can see that it's a bit difficult to read

image.png.75e724734d8ac8b680d5c984a90af0ad.png

Edited by BankFodder
4 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Great news. It seems to work on the live site.

I cleared the cash – just in case but other than that I didn't bother to enable or disable anything else. I just manually installed and nothing crashed.

I configured the widget and it seems to be fine.

We'll see how it behaves over the next few days.

One question already though is how can I change the background colour of the little medallion/round thingy which forms the background of the number of replies?

You can see that it's a bit difficult to read

image.png.75e724734d8ac8b680d5c984a90af0ad.png

this app uses the default theme settings. I think you are able to change it from your theme setting

Okay, question/feature requests already

First of all it seems to be reaching for very far back. You will notice that the topics it is recommending in the example I posted above, as far as 2014.

On the live site, I just noticed that it is now referencing topics which are posted in 2012.

Might there be some way to configure a backstop – nothing further than 12 months or something like that. We are quite a dynamic forum dealing with lots of issues and advice and going far back as even two or three years, the advice might be out of date – and there's always stuff that is much more recent.

Secondly, I notice that the recommended topics are listed in date order starting with the oldest first.
I think it would be very handy to be able to say how we would like them listed. I would prefer newest first and work backwards – and of course other people may have different requirements.
They might also prefer topics to be listed in order of author or number of replies et cetera.

3 minutes ago, ReyDev said:

this app uses the default theme settings. I think you are able to change it from your theme setting

yes you're right. It is a setting called " Comment Count Background" - maybe you would like to put that in your instructions at some point

And I've just noticed that I was wrong about the date order. It doesn't go in ascending order – but it doesn't go in descending order either. It seems to be a bit random.

It would be very nice to be able to set an order

Edited by BankFodder
6 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Okay, question/feature requests already

First of all it seems to be reaching for very far back. You will notice that the topics it is recommending in the example I posted above, as far as 2014.

On the live site, I just noticed that it is now referencing topics which are posted in 2012.

Might there be some way to configure a backstop – nothing further than 12 months or something like that. We are quite a dynamic forum dealing with lots of issues and advice and going far back as even two or three years, the advice might be out of date – and there's always stuff that is much more recent.

Secondly, I notice that the recommended topics are listed in date order starting with the oldest first.
I think it would be very handy to be able to say how we would like them listed. I would prefer newest first and work backwards – and of course other people may have different requirements.
They might also prefer topics to be listed in order of author or number of replies et cetera.

topics are randomly selected with no restrictions.
That's a good idea, for the next version, I will definitely add the date limit and sort type.

13 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I'm not sure how your application identifies relevant topics

all visited topics and latest visited by the user but shows randomly.

22 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

but it might be interesting to allow the application to be configured to find relevant topics based on searches simply within the title – or within the body of the thread as well.

Yes, this is a good idea and I am currently working on it.

To confirm, I've uploaded the latest version and all the conflicts seem to be sorted.

However, it is now retrieving topics from 2006. I think that an ability to configure time limits is essential. For us, material from 2006 is simply of historical interest and no relevance at all 15 years on

Incidentally, in terms of configuring a time limit, it might be worthwhile offering – date of first post in the topic or alternatively date of last post.

If there happens to be a topic which was started in 2006 but there are still contributions now than it may well be that the topic is still relevant

1 hour ago, marcin554 said:

Have you information when exactly?

Up to 3 more weeks

45 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

If there happens to be a topic which was started in 2006 but there are still contributions now than it may well be that the topic is still relevant

Important point.
We can make an option to consider the latest topic update

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, ReyDev said:

the new version released and has an option to show the widget for specific user group.

You should mention that people could notice performance issues because of this!
As mentioned in one of the tickets, it's not that smart to disable the widget cache. It's probably working on smaller boards but literally going to kill any medium & big boards with many topics or other items which the widget is trying to show! 

29 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

As mentioned in one of the tickets, it's not that smart to disable the widget cache. It's probably working on smaller boards but literally going to kill any medium & big boards with many topics or other items which the widget is trying to show! 

@Daniel F
is this issue for the neverCache property? 
I'm going to remove the neverCache prop for the next version.

Edited by ReyDev
56 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

I removed the neverCache prop and uploaded the new version. Please let me know if this is ok for medium & big boards.