Search Forum Type

Ramiru

Would like to suggest to have something like XF's Search Forums type.

For example, I have A, B and C categories which are Q&A type forums.  I have also D, E, F categories for general discussion type. With Search Forum, I can create a Questions page which will have a paginated lists of all topics from A, B, C. Similarly, I can also have a Discussions page with all topics from D,E,F.

9 hours ago, Ramiru said:

Would like to suggest to have something like XF's Search Forums type.

For example, I have A, B and C categories which are Q&A type forums.  I have also D, E, F categories for general discussion type. With Search Forum, I can create a Questions page which will have a paginated lists of all topics from A, B, C. Similarly, I can also have a Discussions page with all topics from D,E,F.

An interesting concept!

In theory, because I have not tested it, you can do this manually using Pages by setting up components on a page where you fetch data from multiple categories.

On 2/20/2021 at 6:46 PM, Jimi Wikman said:

In theory, because I have not tested it, you can do this manually using Pages by setting up components on a page where you fetch data from multiple categories.

It will lack pagination since you'll be limited to a certain number of items.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

You could create an activity stream that shows this data, but of course it won’t be added to the forum list.

I have already explored the Stream in the demo and these are the issues which I think will not make it as a suitable replacement for a dedicated Search Forum type:

• No numbered pagination, it has only "Load More Activity". In relation to this, can't also defined how many topics to be displayed.
  • It shows latest post instead of the first post. I think it makes sense to show the first post since it's a topics list.
  • Loss of Filter By (Questions With/Without Answers) and Sort By (Start Date, Most Viewed, Most Replies, etc.) functionality.
  • Missing some stats (number of votes, views).

I have also tried the Pages Blocks and Topic Feed but the main problem is still the number of items and pagination.

Edited by Ramiru