2 UI little issues

kmk

In a topics list item contains 2 links useful, one is the title (orange) , another one is the last post (orange). 

1. Please add a little background (or whatever you think is better as human design) to these elements, the purpose is have these elements as visible buttons to touch or click it in this Mobile age. 

(sometimes new users just touching the item wherever because the app habit use) 

Green arrows, these elements cause confusion to new users, when they touch the item card sometimes these links just take these users to a wrong place that is not what they want, sometimes old user happen too this accident. 

2. Disable these unused redirect links that cause accidentally confusion. 

**** I think these 2 issues mentioned is a UI design problem of entire IPS. 

IMG_20210219_081529.jpg

I agree. But the mobile view needs additional changes.

1. There is no need to display pagination, and buttons "2", "3" and "4" make no sense at all. Seriously, who will click these buttons and why? 🤦🏻‍♂️

1WGIF4C.png

2. The words "replies", "view" and "updated" take up a lot of space and don't fit on one line in many localizations. They should be replaced with icons so as not to interfere with viewing and to save space.
Before:

9aEVGqZ.png

After:

d8zo5UQ.png

1 hour ago, Takohashi said:

1. There is no need to display pagination, and buttons "2", "3" and "4" make no sense at all. Seriously, who will click these buttons and why? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hi! I actually think it's important to show the pagination so someone seeing the topic for the first time can grasp the magnitude of what they're about to walk into. 😇 

1 hour ago, Takohashi said:

2. The words "replies", "view" and "updated" take up a lot of space and don't fit on one line in many localizations. They should be replaced with icons so as not to interfere with viewing and to save space.

Love your mockups 👏 I like that it simplifies things. 

1 hour ago, Jordan Invision said:

Hi! I actually think it's important to show the pagination so someone seeing the topic for the first time can grasp the magnitude of what they're about to walk into.

You can show a button with a number to the last page. Or to the first and last page. But the buttons "2", "3", "4" make no sense at all.

7 hours ago, Takohashi said:

You can show a button with a number to the last page. Or to the first and last page. But the buttons "2", "3", "4" make no sense at all.

+1 Additional there already implemented mechanism to open the post according if first or no read post...

Grasp the magnitude of what.... I think it is useless point. Maybe this kind of consideration accumulate so many elements to show in the ips UI design, and it don't let create a compact, efficient and clean styled of product.  In some places should be apply the concept "less is more"... 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:55 PM, Jordan Invision said:

I actually think it's important to show the pagination so someone seeing the topic for the first time can grasp the magnitude of what they're about to walk into. 😇 

So, just to make sure I understand what you understand, you think a user who sees Page 1 and Page 115 doesn't intrinsically understand there will be a Page 2, Page 3, and Page 4 in between them? 

More importantly, how does adding a Page 2, Page 3, and Page 4 help a user understand the magnitude of a long topic that is 115 pages versus 15 pages versus literally any page length of 5 or more? 

In any case, other thoughts:

1. Everyone is a critic of the default theme. 

2. The default theme is grossly inefficient in certain areas. On desktop, nobody cares. On mobile, we have to care. 

3. I think the better question to be asking is: based on heat analysis map or navigation pathways, do users actually click on Pages 2, 3, and 4 in a 115 page topic? My gut instinct says no.  I think the smartest approach would be to intelligently tie those pagination numbers to topic pages that are especially important, as per the Topic Summary.  

4. There's this whole area of research and investigation that should be done on ultra long topics.  How do we get users to be able to efficiently absorb the entirety of the topic? How do we create intelligent splits and divergences within the topic? 

When a message from page 2 is quoted and then displayed on page 150, do you really have to read pages 2 to 150 to understand it?

why not integrate the possibility of displaying the responses by quoting a message, in one and the same place, in the form of a comment like on youtoube? this is what is most coherent

also an option to display the most relevant messages, based either on the number of citation or point ...

this type of simplistic display of discussions dating back two decades or more is now becoming cumbersome and does not necessarily make you want to be read and participate.

I have a strong doubt that granting the possibility of a new display would no longer make the post understandable. there must surely be solutions such as "display the message in its chronological place or case where it is not understandable.

On 2/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, Joel R said:

So, just to make sure I understand what you understand, you think a user who sees Page 1 and Page 115 doesn't intrinsically understand there will be a Page 2, Page 3, and Page 4 in between them? 

More importantly, how does adding a Page 2, Page 3, and Page 4 help a user understand the magnitude of a long topic that is 115 pages versus 15 pages versus literally any page length of 5 or more? 

I do agree. We could simplify by taking out a few of the page numbers. So instead it would look like 1... 115

On 2/20/2021 at 7:30 PM, Joel R said:

4. There's this whole area of research and investigation that should be done on ultra long topics.  How do we get users to be able to efficiently absorb the entirety of the topic? How do we create intelligent splits and divergences within the topic? 

This is where I think a nested quotes could be useful, though I know that's complex to implement.