something like facebook live for IPB?

SJ77

I am trying to get a very high profile client to start using IPB for a new service they are launching.

Currently they are using a private facebook group and I almost have them convinced to switch.

However, once a week the celebrity goes live on facebook.

They require this functionality and also like how the chatlog and video is saved in the community.

Is there some 3rd party plugin that you're aware of in the marketplace that can achieve this?

Thank you 🙂

• Management

There's nothing that I know of. Video is pretty hard generally, it needs to be transcoded into a streamable format (and of course, not all devices agree on the streaming method). To add in a broadcast live video functionality is probably beyond the limitations for the average hosted forum.

When it's come up in the past, we generally recommend that they leverage YouTube's live functionality and paste the video into a post. I believe you can schedule live videos in YT and get a link to embed before the event.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I believe you can schedule live videos in YT and get a link to embed before the event.

There's probably certain types of content that can't be streamed on YouTube or other mainstream content, and for that it would be nice to have some sort of integration with other platforms. There may be plugins on the Marketplace.

Cloudflare has a streaming solution, though not sure what policies one must follow regarding the content of those streams.

1 hour ago, SJ77 said:

I found this.

I am hoping that perhaps this will get the job done.

Appreciate you finding that. I think this might not meet @SJ77's needs though? "Live Streams from Twitch.tv, Mixer.com, Youtube.com, and Smashcast.tv." I think they're asking for it to be directly in their Invision Community? Unless I'm mistaken 😆 

On 2/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, SJ77 said:

I found this.

I am hoping that perhaps this will get the job done.

This allows users to share videos, hosted on other sites.  

There is no direct hosting of videos. 

At the end of the day, until IPS builds in video functionality (and doubtful it'll include live video streaming), your client is going to have to use another service and then embed that service onto your community.  

34 minutes ago, Joel R said:

But couldn't the live stream happen through youtube and the chat while embedded in IPS? Like the chat could go along with the live stream

Edited by SJ77

2 hours ago, SJ77 said:

But couldn't the live stream happen through youtube and the chat while embedded in IPS? Like the chat could go along with the live stream

Yes that should be doable. Just wanted to clarify that you wouldn't be able to stream through IPS itself, of course

On 2/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, Joel R said:

At the end of the day, until IPS builds in video functionality (and doubtful it'll include live video streaming), your client is going to have to use another service and then embed that service onto your community.  

We do think Invision Community clients should have more control over video, yes 🙂

We haven't touched on live streaming though.