Can We Haz Blog Statistics?

Pavel Chernitsky

Being a fairly large community with quite a lot of traffic (in our country, relative to other site/communities in our niche) we started encouraging members to use our site as a platform for their own independent content.

So herein lies the question - we have statistics for forums, for clubs, even for the gallery. Why not have statistics for blogs? I've looked for plugins but there aren't any.

something like a youtube creators dashboard that will allow members who have blogs to view simple stats like total & average post views, total & average comments, view trend graph (hourly/daily) high/low activity hours and such, that way they make better informed decisions about their content. such simple stats can be extrapolated and used to learn when to post, what to write about or how long should the posts be etc.
feel free to add those statistics to 

If not, or at least in the meanwhile, we'll settle for a view count on the post "blocks" for now.

Thank you for reading this, and for totally agreeing with everything I wrote and working tirelessly to implement every single feature I've requested (and more) as soon as possible.

I've even added a design idea for the icon. you're welcome (No. of course I'm serious):

image.png.a73c554d7067d63d3f3de4aec2a5fa53.png

9 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

I think you forgot a 0 in your edit

It was supposed to be there, but I ran out of space... 🙂 

Regarding other analytics... Honestly? Anything the software can "read" - where users came from, where did they go after, time spent. I don't know what else... Those are all the thing I know 😄 

1 hour ago, bfarber said:

Firstly to be clear, are you asking for this in Blog or in Pages?

The idea originally came up regarding blogs, yes. But I don't anyone would mind if it was to be expanded to other regions of the suite. Granted though, I didn't look nearly as deep into the stats I'm able to see or present to content-creating-members in the pages app so it isn't my main concern at the moment.

Regarding the screenshots - that's exactly where the idea came from. If you look at the again, you can see that you have the "views" metric shown in two places - a total number of views on the blog's top banner, and WITHIN every blog post. As I showed on my snip of Jordan's blog post - There is NO individual post number on the post's "cover", forcing you to go into each post only to see how many views it has. Which is pointless extra work, since the data obviously exists...

From there, as I stated on the OP, we've developed the idea further and came to what I wrote.   

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

Our blog is using Pages. We do track views, but they are just hidden from members.

It's worth remembering that guest views won't be completely accurate due to guest page caching and server level caching that will reduce the number of actual 'hits' to the database driven page.

Yeah, I remember the guest views thing from another thread. I guess that since there is no better solution, or at least until you get one up and running, it'll be better than nothing. 
Also, I don't think the numbers HAVE to be able to see those stats, but rather the blog's owner. They can then decide whether or not to have a block showing those stats (they can do it themselves if the option exists - I can't remember. Or they can ask a mod/admin with permissions).