How to use license keys?

I am getting ready to release a new product and I want to build sales on our own website outside of Steam. I am looking into the IPB license keys system but I can't find any information on it. There are two options, standard and MD5.

The IPB documentation just says this:

Of particular interest here will be the purchase benefits section. From here you can give people generated license keys for digital items, and can move people to groups. Imagine, for example, setting up a premium group that people have to purchase. You can set up a purchasable product for this and have the system automatically move to the premium group. In addition it will also move them out of that group once it has expired.

I assume the generated keys are using some kind of standard system, but there is no input for a private key or anything like that. How does my C++ application validate a license key?

If this requires connection to the REST API, what is the point of using keys? You could just have the user enter their name and password, and check to make sure they purchased the item?

Edited by Interferon