add sign in and sign up buttons to the download module

OptimusBain

Hello everyone,

I wanted to suggest a suggestion to improve the download file module. It's not user-friendly.

This notification is not user-friendly. Users need to sign in or sign up in order to download the file. Can't we have the Sign in and Sign Up icons instead? I couldn't find an option to do this so I guess it's not possible right now.

The user might or might not read this text and without it's forcing him to look around for where the sign up and sign in buttons are. That's a problem. You are making him waste his time.

image.thumb.png.93ac9cdc9f9496e059f1fd33d6ca935d.png

We would need to add the sign in and sign up buttons to the download module right above the file information. Now look at the difference with those buttons added. It would need improvement, I just used photoshop to do a quick draft. I am sure you get the idea. Now the Sign in and Sign up options are PRETTY clear and there is no way you are gonna miss it.

image.thumb.png.5c0eff2305c55f0675500503a23c42a6.png

I'm not a user of the Commerce application so can't confirm this on my own site, but this is what is seen on here when you are not logged in.

Is it possible that you have previously modified the language string, or the template that handles that section of the page? Or maybe that there is already a setting that allows it to present as below?

image.png.0901d7ff57be2b95c4881dcc1b98d507.png

I actually think it might be broken on some level. Because I do have commerce and I allow guests to see but not download and even my standard members group doesn't have the option to download, you must be an Initiate or basically a member with 10 or more posts to download and this is what you see on my site when it shouldn't even have the download button at all:

image.thumb.png.f3a6331b194b59c34d01cadc65e547a9.png

I mean it errors correctly but the fact that the button shows at all is misleading.

15 hours ago, Morrigan said:

I actually think it might be broken on some level. Because I do have commerce and I allow guests to see but not download and even my standard members group doesn't have the option to download, you must be an Initiate or basically a member with 10 or more posts to download and this is what you see on my site when it shouldn't even have the download button at all:

image.thumb.png.f3a6331b194b59c34d01cadc65e547a9.png

I mean it errors correctly but the fact that the button shows at all is misleading.

Yes, that shouldn't work like that either! Weird! Have you reported this?

17 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I'm not a user of the Commerce application so can't confirm this on my own site, but this is what is seen on here when you are not logged in.

Is it possible that you have previously modified the language string, or the template that handles that section of the page? Or maybe that there is already a setting that allows it to present as below?

image.png.0901d7ff57be2b95c4881dcc1b98d507.png

Thanks a lot. I've not modified any templates, I wish I could if I had the knowledge to do it 🙂 How can this be reported? 

Also not a user of Downloads, so not sure and can't inspect directly. What's the template logic for the theme in that position? My guess is this is being handled within the theme.

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I just used the module for guest sign up module and added my message to that module...

"We're the friendliest forum around, privately owned and operated, AND WE ARE WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE, UNREGISTERED LEECHER!" 😄

Watching Zac Efron GIF by Baywatch Movie

1 hour ago, Paul E. said:

AND WE ARE WATCHING YOUR EVERY MOVE, UNREGISTERED LEECHER!" 😄

Nothing to watch being unpaid members can only read... Everything is visible (for Google reasons) but posting, replying, downloading, etc all locked out till payment for there subscription is paid. Another trick if they are buying parts off my store or I'm doing work on their truck then they automatically get a free subscription to the site as well. Heck I make an hourly rate for my shop why is it any different if I'm giving support in my shop physically one on one in person or one on one over the internet? 

Now the old donation system that quote would be true. I only had 0.9% of membership pool donating. Then the 99.1% were there leeching out the site, my time, information, etc. Now the site is paying its own bills and starting to see some profit starting to happen. I'm a Cummins diesel tech by trade and I was more or less working for free. No longer... All members wanting support pay the subscription fee.

Just my 2 cents to this issue...

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No longer... All members wanting support pay the subscription fee.

I did not mean to suggest that it was unfair to ask people to pay. I found the "we're watching your every move" and "we're the friendliest forum around" comical in the same paragraph.

Tell people what they get (access to a Cummins diesel tech, etc.) for signing up, rather than telling them that you can see their every move.

Maybe something like:

"You recognize a good resource when you see it, and understand the value that Mopar Man's Forums. We'd love to help you with your issue.

Here's what you get with a subscription....."

I'd also remove the apology. There's no apology necessary. Tell people why you provide a great value, and there's nothing to be sorry for.

Thank you for the comments. 

The lurking comment was from the fact I guys that call me later on and say yup I've been hanging around reading but I'm not computer savvy but could you help me out getting signed up. So I talk them through that and typically they are a keepers. I've got a huge load of guest looking daily. Slowly but surely they do join up when there problems get bad enough on there vehicle.