Private threads and post sections

I'm trying to spend some time every day lurking in these forums and playing on a test site to learn and get myself calibrated to what will be required for the migration I am planning. It looks like a big task and I am pretty sure I will have to hire some help for some of it, but for now: a couple of questions.

I've been reading today about how bbcode is on its way out here (and custom bbcode is already not supported.) Although that's awesome news for mobile users, this strikes fear into my bones! We have lots of custom (and sometimes somewhat complicated) bbcode. I'm not going to go into some long list here; instead, I want to ask about two particular additions to our site that I have not been able to find. There is a reasonable chance that it's because I didn't know where to look, or was looking for them with the wrong words!

1. Private sections in posts: We have a bbcode 'secret' that allows anyone to specify a list of usernames who will be able to read the contents of the tags (moderators can read them all.) E.g. [secret="someusername"]Only someusername and moderators can see this.[/secret] Does this functionality exist in a plugin (or should I be calling it an "app"?) perhaps to add a button to the post editor? I was unable to find it in the marketplace, but I also found it was difficult to search for button extensions to post editing there, perhaps I was missing some terminology.

2. Private threads: We have a functionality at thread creation where any thread creator in certain subforums can specify a list of users who can (or, alternatively, can't) read the thread. Again, moderators are excluded. Does this functionality exist in the IPB core or somewhere in the marketplace? I feel like this one is more likely to already exist, but I failed to find it.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Birched said:

I'm trying to spend some time every day lurking in these forums and playing on a test site to learn and get myself calibrated to what will be required for the migration I am planning. It looks like a big task and I am pretty sure I will have to hire some help for some of it, but for now: a couple of questions.

I've been reading today about how bbcode is on its way out here (and custom bbcode is already not supported.) Although that's awesome news for mobile users, this strikes fear into my bones! We have lots of custom (and sometimes somewhat complicated) bbcode. I'm not going to go into some long list here; instead, I want to ask about two particular additions to our site that I have not been able to find. There is a reasonable chance that it's because I didn't know where to look, or was looking for them with the wrong words!

1. Private sections in posts: We have a bbcode 'secret' that allows anyone to specify a list of usernames who will be able to read the contents of the tags (moderators can read them all.) E.g. [secret="someusername"]Only someusername and moderators can see this.[/secret] Does this functionality exist in a plugin (or should I be calling it an "app"?) perhaps to add a button to the post editor? I was unable to find it in the marketplace, but I also found it was difficult to search for button extensions to post editing there, perhaps I was missing some terminology.

2. Private threads: We have a functionality at thread creation where any thread creator in certain subforums can specify a list of users who can (or, alternatively, can't) read the thread. Again, moderators are excluded. Does this functionality exist in the IPB core or somewhere in the marketplace? I feel like this one is more likely to already exist, but I failed to find it.

Thank you!

For your first request, I have not seen such a plugin/app myself. You can request one to be made for you at the request forum.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/506-customization-requests/

For your second request, it does not exist in the core, but I have seen a couple of apps that doe that. One by @Adriano Faria and one by @DawPi.

4 hours ago, Birched said:

Thank you!

Welcome to IPS!

Some notes for you:  

1.  For site migrations, there are several good developers who specialize in migrations either from other software or from older versions.  You can check out the list of Providers here:

https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers/

(Or you can migrate yourself)

2. Private sections in posts - I haven't heard of anything either.  Sounds interesting though.   You can post in Customization Request:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/506-customization-requests/

3.  Private topics - I haven't heard of anything either.  Not sure of the mods posted by @Miss_B will do what you really want.  

If you can group the users by membergroups, then this can be done through the core membergroup permissions.  If you can group the users manually, then you might be able to use Clubs (but you would need to create a club for every group).  

4.  You may want to talk to @Morrigan, who can probably provide some guidance on RPG-related communities.