Moderation options on activity stream

Mark Round

Yes please, and search. As a design rule, anywhere you can see content you should be able to moderate it.

Also, for bonus points in entering the 21st century, selecting items across pages (for example, multiple threads across multiple pages of threads), and the option to deselect everything already selected in the present context (you have four posts selected in a 56 page thread, good luck finding them).

Please, please, and thank you please.

parks and recreation please GIF

Steps to go insane (option A):

1. Open thread with 538 pages.
  2. Navigate to page 46. Check the box for the second post on the page. 
  3. Navigate to page 302. Check the box for the 15th post on the page.
  4. Navigate to page 484. Check the box for the 7th post on the page.
  5. Destroy the guide above and go eat dinner.
  6. Come back, content with deliciousness.
  7. Look at page 538, see an awful post from a racist spammer, check the box on the post to delete it.
  8. YOU HAVE FOUR POSTS SELECTED, AND NO OPTION TO CLEAR PREVIOUS SELECTIONS. EVER. THIS WILL HAUNT YOU FOR THE END OF DAYS. OR YOU DELETE COOKIES.
  9. Evaluate all of the decisions that have gotten you to this point.

Steps to go insane (option B):

1. Open forum with 400 threads.
  2. Check three threads on the first page.
  3. Navigate to page 2, check four threads.
  4. YOU HAVE FOUR THREADS CHECKED, YOUR PREVIOUS THREE CHECK BOXES MEAN NOTHING TO US, ENJOY MAKING DECISIONS 25 THREADS AT A TIME.
  5. Maybe have desert to make up for being put through this.
Edited by Paul E.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:01 AM, Mark Round said:

How difficult would it be to implement moderation options on activity stream? This would be a useful addition

Just curious, can you describe the kinds of situations you're facing? 

For example:

• Are members posting items that are later hidden / removed, but they're still showing up in Activity Stream?  
  • You notice problematic content directly via the Activity Stream, and you need to moderate it immediately?  

I'm genuinely curious, as I only allow certain boards from appearing in the default stream (only 1/3 of my forums are in my default stream), and they're heavily moderated via the front-end app.  I personally think most communities need to think harder about what appears in their default activity stream instead of all content.

This is a request that I am trying to cater for.

Scenario

today you wake up to 100 posts from 100 different topics,all listed in a stream or post feed block. you have to click through every post and then click the 3 dots then do whatever else then go back to the feed/stream and start over again on every post that you want to moderate,then also you want to know which posts youve moderated/checked over.Its a lot of click throughs to do a simple task.There are no options in the suite to do any of these things (that i can find).

Aside from this there is nothing in the admin side ,similar to the article record list for posted content that allows you to go through historic content.These things are not to everyones needs i know but would be useful to some for sure.

11 minutes ago, Joel R said:

You notice problematic content directly via the Activity Stream, and you need to moderate it immediately?

This one. If moderators see content, by design they should be able to address the content. Jumping through hoops to go to some other place to deal with issues is maddening.

Maybe in the activity stream, you see that someone posted a wry shirtless smile thread in the nothing but fornlorn pouts forum. Maybe someone made a massive typo in a thread title, or you just really want to add a bunch of 💯 emojis to the post itself, because that's the culture of your community.

Maybe you're searching for every instance of some verboten word or phrase, like "parler" or "fully dressed" and would like to select every resulting post and delete, hide, or burn them.

See content, act on content.

1 minute ago, Mark Round said:

today you wake up to 100 posts from 100 different topics,all listed in a stream or post feed block. you have to click through every post and then click the 3 dots then do whatever else then go back to the feed/stream and start over again on every post that you want to moderate,then also you want to know which posts youve moderated/checked over.Its a lot of click throughs to do a simple task.There are no options in the suite to do any of these things (that i can find).

So, you're going to be moderating 100 topics / posts on a daily basis? 

Some thoughts (and I may be way off base on some of them, but hopefully this will get your creative juices flowing):

• If these posts are in a certain board, then I think the easiest method would be to require Post Moderation. This can be applied per forum or per membergroup.  You can then approve / manage the post approvals via the Moderator CP, which is designed to handle this use case. 
  • If you're trying to moderate for keywords, then you can also use the keyword filter.  
  • You create a private Activity Stream for yourself (or your moderators)  that only shows Unread content.  This will only show you ... unread content, which is kind of perfect, right?  
4 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

This one. If moderators see content, by design they should be able to address the content. Jumping through hoops to go to some other place to deal with issues is maddening.

Maybe in the activity stream, you see that someone posted a wry shirtless smile thread in the nothing but fornlorn pouts forum. Maybe someone made a massive typo in a thread title, or you just really want to add a bunch of 💯 emojis to the post itself, because that's the culture of your community.

Maybe you're searching for every instance of some verboten word or phrase, like "parler" or "fully dressed" and would like to select every resulting post and delete, hide, or burn them.

See content, act on content.

I get all those.  

I wonder, however, if IPS is going to have the same technical challenges as other requests from the community to make the Activity Stream interactive.  

4 minutes ago, Joel R said:

So, you're going to be moderating 100 topics / posts on a daily basis? 

Some thoughts (and I may be way off base on some of them, but hopefully this will get your creative juices flowing):

• If these posts are in a certain board, then I think the easiest method would be to require Post Moderation. This can be applied per forum or per membergroup.  You can then approve / manage the post approvals via the Moderator CP, which is designed to handle this use case. 
  • If you're trying to moderate for keywords, then you can also use the keyword filter.  
  • You create a private Activity Stream for yourself (or your moderators)  that only shows Unread content.  This will only show you ... unread content, which is kind of perfect, right?  

Thanks Joel for trying to provide a workaround solution but I am aware of these features and have even set up custom feeds for this purpose but it still doesnt allow for post checking/highlighting as moderated seen only by moderators. Hiding posts under moderation is not an option and discourages user engagement imo as it is hidden until someone sees it and moderates it. Keyword filters may work but its skirting around the real issue of being able to effectively moderate topics en masse without hiding them.

All i need is an easier way to fly through a ton of posts and moderate without having to directly enter the topic.Yes in reality ,how many need moderating? I cant answer that but they do need checking.

13 minutes ago, Joel R said:

I wonder, however, if IPS is going to have the same technical challenges as other requests from the community to make the Activity Stream interactive.  

There may be engineering challenges. Some of those challenges are probably larger than others (editing content inline vs. selecting content for action). To be clear, I lump the concepts of activity streams and search into the same pile.

Places to think about:

• Activity view on a member's profile (Use case: reviewing all of a problematic member's recent content contributions for issues)
  • Search results (Use case: words, phrases, or other ways to parse out content in the advanced search parameters as a filter for content that requires further investigation or action)
  • Activity streams (Use case: reviewing a time-based window of submissions matching some set of criteria for issues)

While things like moderation approval are tools we sometimes use, it's only a tool in a larger toolbelt at our disposal. We simply can't monitor all posts in real time due to the throughput of our community, and even for those instances where we do review things in real time, there are moderation issues that are brought to our attention after the fact, for which the three places above become important tools to use.

Right now, it's a lot of opening links in a new tab, and it's functionality we had prior to coming to IPS from vBulletin (though I think some of it we may have added in--I don't recall). For certain we were able to select threads across multiple pages in a forum, posts and threads from search views, and make inline content edits in lists of most recent submissions in our vB3.8 environment.

From what I understand - and don't hold me to this - IPS doesn't actually pull the raw content when showing search results or streams.  

IPS duplicates the content into a search database, and then runs queries on the search database.  This is why there's no direct interaction that's allowed on these results.  

The search engine (elasticsearch or the built in SQL one) should be able to return the ID (post ID, thread ID, page ID, database record ID, etc.) and entity type (post, thread, page, product, etc.). That should be enough to enable things like create a list of entities and their IDs with which to take action on (select to move, hide, delete, promote, whatever).

Something needs to listen to and respond to that action, and that's probably where the engineering challenge lies.

she-ra hypnotize GIF