Commerce 4.5: trials without credit card

LaCollision

Hi everyone!

Prior to version 4.5, purchases did not require a credit card number when the invoice amount was zero (e.g. for trial periods).
This was a very useful feature to increase customer engagement, for whom giving out their credit card was often a hindrance.

Since version 4.5, the credit card number is unfortunately required for all purchases with renewal, even those with a free trial period.

I'll try to look in the code to make some changes, but it doesn't look simple to me.

Do you have an idea on how to simply restore the behavior of Commerce 4.4?

Many thanks! 🤗

This is an intended change designed to help boost income for sites using free trials. A lot of users will provide a credit card when offered a free trial, and then allow their subscription to continue without cancelling it, but may never come back to provide their credit card if not required to up front. It's a pretty common sales tactic.

Ultimately, as mentioned, this is intended, but I could see a desire for a setting perhaps to control the behavior. Either way, I'm not sure this is really an ideal topic for the development gateway forum here. Would you like me to move this to the feedback forum instead?

Thank you!

Yes I know this is an intended change – however many people also don't want to give their card number for a free trial, and that could stop them from buying the product right from the beginning – like: « Oh no, I'm not going to give again my credit card number just for trying a new product. » 🙂 

2 minutes ago, bfarber said:

Either way, I'm not sure this is really an ideal topic for the development gateway forum here. Would you like me to move this to the feedback forum instead?

Yes, why not!

However, could you give me just a few hints on where to look to change the code, in order not to require the credit card for a trial period?

Thanks again!