Disable topic author from marking as solution in post #1

Gabriel Torres

Hi there,

We are seeing some users here in our community who are creating topics and immediately marking their single post as solution. We guess they are doing this only to get attention.

So my suggestion is to improve this feature by not allowing the topic author to mark the first post in a topic as solution. The user would still be able to mark other posts (including his own) as solution in the topics he started, just not the first one.

See if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Interesting idea, but what of the member who to circumvent this replies a first time... waits a bit, replies a second time, and then marks that second post as a solution to achieve the same goal (attention seeking behavior)?

I can see a case for thread author not being able to provide their own solution (require the solution be from a member other than the thread author), yet I'd suggest that this would be a moderation/policy issue. I'm not sure I can think of a technical solution that isn't abusable.

@Paul E. You are absolutely right! There is another caveat. Here we configured that successive posts made within one hour to be merged. So if the user opens a topic, tries something out and is able to find a solution/fix the issue described in the post, he can come back, say, 30 minutes later, make a second post with the solution, but this second post will be merged with the first. And in that case, marking the first post as solution is a perfectly legit.

So I guess my idea has a couple of flaws... so... scratch that! LOL

11 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

@Paul E. You are absolutely right! There is another caveat. Here we configured that successive posts made within one hour to be merged. So if the user opens a topic, tries something out and is able to find a solution/fix the issue described in the post, he can come back, say, 30 minutes later, make a second post with the solution, but this second post will be merged with the first. And in that case, marking the first post as solution is a perfectly legit.

So I guess my idea has a couple of flaws... so... scratch that! LOL

Disappointed you didn't mark this as solution! 😆

On a serious note, I've always thought that IPS could develop the feature to the next stage.  "Marking as solution" could mean many things ... It could mean the post was helpful, the post offered alternate options, the post offered helpful hints, the post explained why the question was irrelevant to begin with, or the post addressed the specific issue.  

I've also found, in my community, that multiple members submitted various solutions.  All of them were partially valid.  

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that the "mark as solved" link should not be part of post 1. So I got a solution to hide it.

Go to following template:

Forums -> front -> topics -> post

... and add the green code.

{{if !($item->topic_firstpost == $comment->pid) AND ( $comment->item()->isSolved() and $comment->item()->mapped('solved_comment_id') == $comment->pid ) AND $comment->item()->canSolve()}}
                            <li><a href='{$item->url()->csrf()->setQueryString( array( 'do' => 'unsolve', 'answer' => $comment->pid ) )}' data-action="unsolveComment">{lang="unsolve_content"}</a></li>
                        {{endif}}
                        {{if !($item->topic_firstpost == $comment->pid) AND $comment->item()->canSolve() AND ! $comment->item()->isSolved()}}
                            <li><a href='{$item->url()->csrf()->setQueryString( array( 'do' => 'solve', 'answer' => $comment->pid ) )}' data-action="solveComment">{lang="solve_content"}</a></li>
                        {{endif}}