MySQL Backup & Migration

Hey folks,

my IPB is  getting more and more traffic and I  slowly need to think about have backups. Can you guess recommend any tool which works to have on going backups just in case to not have too long downtime in case something happens or to migrate the whole board to an other server. I started to work with Iperius but maybe there is an opensource tool which also works ?

Any tip or recommendation would be welcome.

Best

HP

1 hour ago, hpcrazy said:

Hey folks,

my IPB is  getting more and more traffic and I  slowly need to think about have backups. Can you guess recommend any tool which works to have on going backups just in case to not have too long downtime in case something happens or to migrate the whole board to an other server. I started to work with Iperius but maybe there is an opensource tool which also works ?

Any tip or recommendation would be welcome.

Best

HP

How big is your database? Do you have SSH or Telnet access to your site? If you do, I would recommend PuTTy to backup your database.

Another way to backup your database is through the backup feature of cPanel, or using a third party script such as mysqldumper

Whatever you do, do not use phpmyadmin to backup your database, especially if it is over 50 mb. They are known for time out during backups of large databases, and a lot of hosts place a limit on how many mb can be downloaded via phpmyadmin on their servers If you do, check out the backup to make sure that it is done properly.

2 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Most hosts will have a tool to auto-backup.

yes it backups twice a day. But I would like to be able to make a backup myself. 🙂

1 hour ago, Miss_B said:

How big is your database? Do you have SSH or Telnet access to your site?

it's approx. 60 MB now - i think it's SSH. I was able to make a backup with PhpMyAdmin and Imperius but the question is which settings have to be made that all is stored and how do I upload the backup to the database of a possible new host ? The upload with PhpMyAdmin does not work with this size as far as I know....

The server side backup is going to be your best best, if you don't want the "auto backup" you need to find your servers backup tool and run a manual one.

The problem with just saving your database is that you lose all the rest of your content (resources, uploads, custom emoticons etc). You need your ENTIRE directory and your entire database for a proper backup with most if not all backup tools do.