"Kindness" plugin

19 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Can you go into this? What do you mean by a just community? 

Basically, a community that enforces its standards fairly. A moderation team that is sensitive to nuances, so that they can recognize when a member is engaging in bullying and harassment that isn't necessarily as obvious as a verbal bludgeoning. Not mistaking bluntness and direct communication for rudeness, and stepping in to call that out when someone in the community takes it that way. Not conflating disagreement or refutations with personal attacks, and stepping in to call that out when a member is making such a conflation.. Not allowing marginalized members to be intimidated into silence.

These are the types of things that can ruin a member's experience in a community, and they occur with disturbing frequency.

Edited by Moonbeam
  • 2 months later...

WELP, a lot has changed since I first created this topic. Joining the IC team and all 😆  (loving it btw).

I've been thinking about this topic a lot. I am still super here for it lol. 

Lately in my community, the toxicity is ramping up again. We have clear Community Guidelines in place, enable post moderation per topic when need-be, have a moderation team utilizing the warning points system and restricting posting of members on a case-by-case basis, even banning some in certain instances. 

I would love to see how this plugin concept would function. Basically, the member would have to tap a heart ❤️  that says "My reply is kind" or whatever the verbiage is, before the "Submit Reply" button can function.

I know there's a lot of back and forth regarding whether this should be a thing or not, but personally I'd like to see how it'd function on my own community (not saying it would trickle onto our community here - to be honest, I see far less toxicity her than on my own community - I think because my community centers around pop stars - fans of pop stars are a bit extra energetic and passionate and their comments reflect that heh).

Thoughts? I'm down to hire someone to create this. 😇  It could flop and I end up disabling it, but I'm v v curious if it'd help improve things. 

4 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I'll regret this, but not much...plugin attached (xml file) and it will add a toggle to the comment form when reading a topic.

I'm off now to go wash the sugar taste out of my mouth.

Note: no support provided...it's a POC. If anyone wants to to develop it further, the dev folder is provided too as a zip file

(NE) Kindness.xml

nepluginkindness.zip

WOWWWWW! You came through out of the kindness (😏) of your heart. This is awesome 😭 

I enabled the plugin and changed the settings up a little. Really appreciate you making this @Nathan Explosion. I am curious to hear what my community will think of it.

I know there's a big debate about this option, however I like that it's up to the community leader to leave it up to them whether it's integrated or not. 

This is part of several Kindness plugin ideas I have. 

Thank you again! I'll circle back with feedback soon. ❤️ 

Video of it in action here: 

2 minutes ago, CoffeeCake said:

With all due respect, and notwithstanding the conclusions drawn by others in this thread, Justin Bieber has been demonstrated, by virtue of the video evidence submitted above, to suck a bop.

Sincerely, with love and kindness and flowers that sparkle ❤️

Then you haven't listened to his new album yet 🤠

💐 🌈 ️ 

1 hour ago, Jordan Invision said:

Hey there. 

I'm not quite sure where you got that link. What you linked to is this topic though 😆 

That:

A Kindness plugin has arrived

Screenshot_20210426-211121~2.png

I can reach all except this topic. It's bizarre...

Edited by Feneroin

Let's apply logic...

IPS 4.6.0 was applied to this site on April 15th

The entry that is triggering the above issue is the FIRST one added to that section since then.

Therefore...stick it in the bug tracker, as it may be a bug. Or if someone can reproduce it elsewhere, stick a support request into IPS.

Edited by Nathan Explosion
18 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

WOWWWWW! You came through out of the kindness (😏) of your heart. This is awesome 😭 

I enabled the plugin and changed the settings up a little. Really appreciate you making this @Nathan Explosion. I am curious to hear what my community will think of it.

I know there's a big debate about this option, however I like that it's up to the community leader to leave it up to them whether it's integrated or not. 

This is part of several Kindness plugin ideas I have. 

Thank you again! I'll circle back with feedback soon. ❤️ 

Video of it in action here: 

It seems to me that people who cannot change their avatar without the help of the administrator, it will be quite difficult to press a certain checkpoint when writing a post.

4 hours ago, IP-Gamers said:

It seems to me that people who cannot change their avatar without the help of the administrator, it will be quite difficult to press a certain checkpoint when writing a post.

Hmmm I'm not sure there'd be an obstacle here. All this user would need to do is check the box and they can freely post their message. 🙂

Kindness plugin update: I changed the verbiage around from "My comment is kind" to "My comment is not hateful." 

I think this gives the user a lot more freedom to express emotions that might not necessarily be positive or kind, but acknowledge that it just can't be hateful. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.59 AM.png

So far my community hasn't lit the pitchforks regarding this implementation. 😂 Comments are being posted as usual.

@Nathan Explosion If you're interested in expanding on this awesome plugin (paid or other), I jotted down a few notes 😇 

Again, really appreciate that you developed this. I know that there's a fine line between freedom of speech and censorship. Ultimately, I am not looking to silence members or tell them how to feel. Rather, give members the opportunity to pause for a moment before hitting Submit Reply. Adding this little barrier yea is one extra step, but it could very well be what inspires a member from saying something that either breaks a community's guidelines, or something they'll regret. I know people can simply ignore this option and say something hateful, tick the box and post it, there will always be people who ignore that, but if it can help communities overall - that's something I'd be interested in seeing. 🙂

Add ability to Enable/disable in the admin panel options: 

• When creating a Topic
  • When submitting a Reply
  • When sending a Private Message
  • Change language in plugin settings versus Language pack

Other ideas:

• Move closer to the Submit Reply button on Desktop
  • Ability to apply to specific Members or Groups (versus Globally)

3 minutes ago, Jordan Invision said:

If you're interested

Nope...not even remotely, I don't actually like the idea at all. I just got bored yesterday and ended up reading this topic for some reason.

Feel free to post your request in the correct forum though, where you may have seen more traction on it originally. I (and I expect others, having read the topic) always assumed you were requesting this as a core feature of the IPS software. I have provided the zip file for a reason, if another developer wants to crack on working on this for you.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/506-requests/

10 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Nope...not even remotely, I don't actually like the idea at all. I just got bored yesterday and ended up reading this topic for some reason.

Feel free to post your request in the correct forum though, where you may have seen more traction on it originally. I (and I expect others, having read the topic) always assumed you were requesting this as a core feature of the IPS software. I have provided the zip file for a reason, if another developer wants to crack on working on this for you.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/forum/506-requests/

Thanks! I'll pass the idea along to there. Appreciate the honesty. 

And no, I was never intending this to be implemented as a core feature (though I personally am not opposed to it of course but I can see why others are). Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Jordan Invision said:

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 7.14.59 AM.png

Why not something like: Required: This post meets Site Guidelines.

Site Guidelines would be a clickable link to your Site Guidelines Page This way if someone does post something clearly in violation of your Site Guidelines.  you can readily hold your members accountable for their transgression(s) as they can't readily feign ignorance of your community standards.

Instead of being always active you might consider toggling the "kindness plugin" on only during times when your members are a little more emotive than usual.  

Edited by Chris Anderson
32 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

Why not something like: Required: This post meets Site Guidelines.

Site Guidelines would be a clickable link to your Site Guidelines Page This way if someone does post something clearly in violation of your Site Guidelines.  you can readily hold your members accountable for their transgression(s) as they can't readily feign ignorance of your community standards.

Instead of being always active you might consider toggling the "kindness plugin" on only during times when your members are a little more emotive than usual.  

Good call! I did actually think of this too but it felt a little stuffy to have them agree to the Community Guidelines every time they comment. I wanted to make more of an emotional plea. But I like the suggestion. 👍 Still thinking of ways to improve this idea. Appreciate the feedback.

@Jordan Invision tell you what, as I am in a good mood. If you wish to donate to my beer fund then I will add support for some of the above requested items, as they are easily added. I *may* make it an official upload to the Marketplace, as a free app and not a plugin, but addition of features will be at my discretion - however, I will make the dev folder available if others wish to add to their own version.

But please, move the topic out of this forum AND DONE!!!

Edited by Nathan Explosion
On 4/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

@Jordan Invision tell you what, as I am in a good mood. If you wish to donate to my beer fund then I will add support for some of the above requested items, as they are easily added. I *may* make it an official upload to the Marketplace, as a free app and not a plugin, but addition of features will be at my discretion - however, I will make the dev folder available if others wish to add to their own version.

But please, move the topic out of this forum AND DONE!!!

This is awesome! I will gladly donate 👏 

I'm wondering... would it be a big undertaking to apply this Kindness plugin to specific members (versus globally). 

If someone breaks the rules, instead of suspending them first, we can apply this to their account for X amount of time. Then, if they continue to check the box, but their posts still break the rules, we can suspend them. 

Thoughts @Nathan Explosion