Instagram and Facebook oEmbed support topic

22 hours ago, Jordan Invision said:

Hey @rebraf! Interesting turn of events. The Instagram embeds show still, but they all look like this now (see below). Wondering if that's happening to you? We are still a little ways a way from 4.6 (which includes this IG and FB embed fix) so I'd love to see if we can find an answer sooner than later haha 😆 

Let me know what you think! 

Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 7.17.19 AM.png

I've found that if I'm logged into certain VPNs you get what you are seeing there. Instagram tends to block many public IP addresses (i.e. VPNs and proxies).

If you're logged in to a VPN or proxy, try logging off of it to see if the issue persists.

• 4 months later...

Hey there. I'm hesitant to ask lol, but would this possibly work on 4.6? It's currently working in my community that's on 4.5. Because of the nature of my community, Instagram embeds are imperative. 

Anyone have any insight? Would be greatly appreciated! I know there's another topic going on about this, but haven't seen much conversation directed at this existing plugin. Thank you 🙏 

The plugin is not needed anymore, as the functionality has been added to 4.6:

Instructions are here: https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/advanced-options/configuration-options/facebook-and-instagram-embedding-r359/

A new problem is that Facebook will turn off the embedding functionality soon unless you go through an elaborate review process:

Today, June 8, 2021, we announced v11.0 of the Graph API and Marketing APIs. With this update, there are new requirements to be able to access oEmbed APIs. Some of your apps currently access the oEmbed APIs and might be affected by these changes.

To continue accessing the oEmbed APIs, you will have to submit your apps for review by September 6th, 2021. If you want to request new access to the oEmbed APIs, you will also need to submit your app(s) for review.

To learn more, please review the updated requirements. If your apps haven't been reviewed for the oEmbed API feature by September 6, 2021, your apps will lose access to this feature. To avoid disruption to your apps' oEmbed access, please submit for App Review as soon as possible.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:40 AM, SeNioR- said:

Jordan, you wrote yourself that this was fixed in 4.6.

Yea lol nice point. I haven't jumped ship to 4.6 yet because I just wanted to confirm with the community either this review process would still allow for embedding Instagram posts, or perhaps this plugin was an option still - IG embeds are super important in my community. Another reason I haven't upgraded just yet was that I have a bunch of plugins and apps that I needed to make sure were on 4.6 👼  Most are ready to go though! 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:17 AM, opentype said:

A new problem is that Facebook will turn off the embedding functionality soon unless you go through an elaborate review process:

😭 

On 7/26/2021 at 1:17 AM, opentype said:

Appreciate you reminding me of this. I did this review process a while ago and it did work in my community. I receive a lot of messages from the community asking about embeds for their own community. Might be worth me trying this out in a test environment when I have some spare time. Thanks again!! 🙏 

• 2 months later...

Facebook disabled my community's ability to include IG embeds 😩 

In working to create a great Platform experience for everyone, we ask developers to ensure the apps they build comply with our Platform Terms. Your app does not comply with the following: 
Platform Terms: 3.b.i-iii
Since we're striving to improve the Platform experience, your app's ability to access the following has been revoked:

Oembed Read

If you believe the permission(s) has/have been incorrectly revoked, you can reapply for the permission(s) from the developer dashboard. 
Thanks, 
Facebook Developer Operations Team

Which is this:

b. Additional Terms for Restricted Platform Data

i. You will not request Restricted Platform Data unless it is necessary to meaningfully improve the quality of the applicable User's experience in the specific product or service for which the User shared the data.

ii. It must be clear to the User why you are requesting their Restricted Platform Data in order to improve the quality of their experience.

iii. For clarity, your Processing of Restricted Platform Data must comply with the applicable Developer Docs and other provisions of these Terms (including the Prohibited Practices).

Going to try and get this resolved but dayum they don't make this easy. 

3 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Facebook disabled my community's ability to include IG embeds 😩 

Did you not do the required app review in time?
I did do it for two communities and it got approved quickly. I didn’t bother with a third community and had embeds removed today as expected. Probably much harder now to get it back. 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:29 AM, opentype said:

Did you not do the required app review in time?
I did do it for two communities and it got approved quickly. I didn’t bother with a third community and had embeds removed today as expected. Probably much harder now to get it back. 

Yea I totally missed the notices to resubmit. I did so and was fortunately approved 12 hours later so we're all good! 😅