Server side OS choice

I have been using CentOS since last 5-6 years and have no problem or preference over it.

I understand that moving forward my only choice is CentOS 7 and that too for next 3-4 year of EOL.

What are the other possible stable choices out there on which I can run IPS site?

Is there any Linux server OS that comes with GUI panel to manage server?

I have used and liked cPanel in the past but Im happy to explore other options too (plesk etc.), so feel free to suggest new combination (OS + CP) with which you have been happily working with.

P.S. I didn't use cpanel much other than bare minimum task of restarting web services, checking stats or adding new email once in a month type.

We have used Debian for years. It may be too stable for some. If you'd like things a bit "newer," yet still very stable, consider Ubuntu's long-term support (LTS) releases.

You probably can install whatever GUI you'd like to use regardless of the underlying distro, but that would be something to check from whoever is making the control panel. Many of them are not open source and must be licensed, and will likely give you supported configurations.

We do not use a GUI like plesk/cPanel, but they can come in handy for those that use their server space for a number of different projects and want to delegate control of things easily to others.

Thanks Paul, I will definitely explore the Debian and Unbuntu options. Can you also help that which version should I test and play around with?

Also you said that you don't use any control panel, is it you don't need it or those cpanel or plesk make server slow?

On 12/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, Gauravk said:

Can you also help that which version should I test and play around with?

Whatever distribution of Linux you choose, look at their stable release schedules and read their support policy. Some distributions have guaranteed periods of time when they will be supported (you'll get patches, security updates, etc.). This is a decision that no one else can make for you. For us, we choose the stable, long term support releases. That may not make sense for you. Your priorities may be different than ours. It may be more important for you to have the latest version of some dependency. For us, it makes sense to go with stability and then make a planned migration in cadence with our distro's release cycles, as the software we use (IPS) does not require anything beyond what's available in our distro's stable branch to operate efficiently.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, Gauravk said:

Also you said that you don't use any control panel, is it you don't need it or those cpanel or plesk make server slow?

We simply have no need for a GUI control panel on the servers of our IPS site. That may not be the case for you. Speed is not a factor in our decision, however it's generally true that the more things running on a machine, the more resources will be required at a baseline. We, as a matter of practice, do not provision things we do not need. If the only thing on your server is IPS, it's probably likely that you don't need one either. However, if your level of comfort at working directly with configuration files and the like on the operating system is such that you'd prefer an interface, then that's something to weigh into your considerations.

You'd need to get with the publishers of the various control panel software and determine what sort of overhead their solutions require you to consider and determine what their recommendations are.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is always a very stable option. Very widely supported and EOL in 2023 with maintenance/security patches out to 2028. Ubuntu 20.04 just came out this year yet and is making its way into mainstream although I see 18.04 more widely used.

Plesk offers a free option for their control panel software that supports 3 domains before needing to upgrade. I personally like it more than WHM/cPanel. More intuitive and user friendly. 

Edited by Jon Erickson

I would say that this subject still remains a preference to the Server Administrator. Each one of them has their pros and cons, but at the end of the day, it depends on what the Server Administrator feels more comfortable with. Regarding stability I would say both Ubuntu and CentOS are pretty stable and wont be EOL anytime soon.