Community

How can i access a specific item from the $item array?

DReffects2

Hey Guys,

so I am trying to add an if-clause to one of the templates (cms → front → global → embedRecord) and used

print_r($item)

to output all available information. I'd like to access the specific database-name where the record is being pulled from and can see that within the array:

[recordPage:protected]
(
	[_data:protected] => Array
                (
                    [id] => 8
                    [name] => Fancy Databasename

Unfortunately i do not know how to access the information directly from the template.

I've tried with

$item[recordPage][_data][name]

but that threw an error. 

How can I access this information?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Daniel F said:

There's no need to overcomplicate things:)

$item->database()->_title should work fine in this case

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! This works.

Unfortunately I do not know why and how 😞

Where can i find a list with functions/methods for the objects? 

$item in this case is an instance of \IPS\cms\Records, a Pages database record.

This class has a method called "database()" that returns the reference to the database the record is stored in.

From there you want the title, which is accessible via the magic "_title" property.

A database is a node model: https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/docs/fundamentals/nodes/working-with-node-models-r28/

A database record is a content item model: https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/docs/fundamentals/content-items/building-a-model-for-content-items-r78/

17 hours ago, bfarber said:

Thanks for the link! I have to say this is unfortunately a little bit above my paygrade 😉

Is there a full list of all available methods and properties aka a full list of "variables" that can be used within templates? I recall that previous versions of the community had a full list of variables in a sidebar to the template editor.

As of now I still would not know that theres the magic "_title" property if you had not told me. 

I've also encountered a very strange behaviour with the return value of $item->database()->_title.

This if clause always returned false:

DB Name: {$item->database()->_title}
{{if $item->database()->_title=="Episodendatenbank"}}
	TRUE
{{else}}
	FALSE
{{endif}}

Output:

DB Name: Episodendatenbank

FALSE

I've changed my template with the same logic but am using $item->database()->_id - this works. But why does it not work with the string of the db-name?

The _title is a hash value, so the equal check with "Episodendatenbank" will fail! you should use always use the id for such checks!

/**
     * Get database name
     * @return string
     */
    public function get__title()
    {
        return \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->language()->addToStack('content_db_' . $this->id);
    }

Important Information

We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising and analytics partners. See more about cookies and our Privacy Policy