Stripe Auto-Capture?

Mike I

I can't for the life of me figure out why I have to manually capture each stripe payment. I tried to resolve it with Stripe and they said this is an Invision issue. I can't find the setting that the capture method (manual/automatic), so I'm assuming that invision defaults to manual. The problem is that whenever I capture it (also the problem is that I have to manually capture it in the first place), the payment STILL doesn't get verified by Invision. This is a HUGE problem for me so I'd like to see it fixed. If there already is a fix, sorry for making this topic, but please kindly provide it! Digging through the PHP files is a mess and I didn't want to risk messing up the whole payment system.

Thank you.

Invision Community should automatically capture the transaction once it has verified the transaction passes any anti-fraud rules you've set up (or void it if it doesn't).

Check that you've got all the Stripe settings correct and then if you submit a support ticket we can take a look. To do this, go to the Support section of the AdminCP and choose "Something isn't working correctly" and then follow the instructions through until you get to the page to submit a support ticket.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Invision Community should automatically capture the transaction once it has verified the transaction passes any anti-fraud rules you've set up (or void it if it doesn't).

Check that you've got all the Stripe settings correct and then if you submit a support ticket we can take a look. To do this, go to the Support section of the AdminCP and choose "Something isn't working correctly" and then follow the instructions through until you get to the page to submit a support ticket.

What Stripe settings? Stripe has already told me this isn't a problem on their end.. I don't have any anti-fraud rules setup either. Also, I'm unable to create a support ticket because my license expired, and I currently can't renew it.

18 minutes ago, Mark said:

AdminCP > Commerce > Payments > Settings > Payment Methods > Stripe. Sounds like the webhook isn't set up correctly.

Thanks but.. as far as I know, its set up perfectly.. Here is one of the payment_intents POST logs.. Pretty sure 'capture_method' should be "automatic." That's the issue and I'm not sure why IPS is sending a 'manual' capture_method.

image.png.d3a40e91f9c18418a9b80499b2df11b7.png

'manual' is hard-coded for capture_method for the Stripe method in Commerce. As you can imagine, you are hitting stuff most others with Stripe aren't

I'd be sure to first look at the system and error logs in the Support area of the ACP just to see if there are any other errors being thrown that apply here. Probably spot nothing but a good place to start ruling other crap out.

32 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

'manual' is hard-coded for capture_method for the Stripe method in Commerce. As you can imagine, you are hitting stuff most others with Stripe aren't

Doesn't manual insinuate that I'd have to capture all payments myself, which would be my problem? Also, sorry, not sure what you mean by the 2nd part?

32 minutes ago, All Astronauts said:

I'd be sure to first look at the system and error logs in the Support area of the ACP just to see if there are any other errors being thrown that apply here. Probably spot nothing but a good place to start ruling other crap out.

A lot of spam-service in the System Logs, and also some OutOfBoundsExceptions. The Error Logs are empty. Nothing directly related to the Stripe payment gateway it seems.

The hard-coded manual bit for Stripe has been a part of how Commerce handles Stripe calls for a long time. No one else is (probably) having these problems - I'm not (granted an instance of one but I'm not seeing any other posts on the forums otherwise) - so something is going on that's likely particular to your instance.

And manual here is just how they are handling it behind the scenes, I've not had any problems taking credit cards with Stripe via Commerce forever. 

https://stripe.com/docs/api/payment_intents/object#payment_intent_object-capture_method

The language isn't quite the clearest in the world, but 'manual' here effectively means 'hold'. The Commerce Stripe method puts a 'hold' on the funds, albeit briefly, and then once other stuff happens (I assume on the IPS Commerce side, either directly in the method 'now' or via a queue task or something 'soon' - haven't looked...) it will capture the transaction, taking the funds and completing it.

Mark could certainly explain this better but all signs point to you having something either off with your Stripe configuration or are you doing/have some custom thing going on? In Commerce Stripe is pretty much set it and forget it (and I say that as someone who set it up eons ago in the pre-4 days and I think I poked the Stripe bear (configuration/settings) once in all the years since. That or MaxMind/fraud rules are messing things up somewhere in the stack.

Just spit-balling...

Are you fully up to date (you indicated your license is expired)? We occasionally release updates and patches when issues are found, so my first hunch is that you are likely missing a recent update or patch that addresses whatever issue you are facing.

Failing that, however, we'd likely need you to submit a ticket so we can see why you are facing the issue you are facing. We use Stripe on our end and it indeed captures payments automatically, assuming no anti-fraud rules were triggered.

18 hours ago, bfarber said:

Are you fully up to date (you indicated your license is expired)? We occasionally release updates and patches when issues are found, so my first hunch is that you are likely missing a recent update or patch that addresses whatever issue you are facing.

Failing that, however, we'd likely need you to submit a ticket so we can see why you are facing the issue you are facing. We use Stripe on our end and it indeed captures payments automatically, assuming no anti-fraud rules were triggered.

Yeah I'm currently on 4.5.2. Just don't have the funds to renew at the moment, so I can't update. It's a kind of large fee for me currently. I guess I'll just ride this out until I can update. Weird thing is this didn't always used to happen. I've had Stripe payments that auto-captured, I only recall this issue starting after my license expired, or at least around that time.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:35 AM, All Astronauts said:

Mark could certainly explain this better but all signs point to you having something either off with your Stripe configuration or are you doing/have some custom thing going on? In Commerce Stripe is pretty much set it and forget it (and I say that as someone who set it up eons ago in the pre-4 days and I think I poked the Stripe bear (configuration/settings) once in all the years since. That or MaxMind/fraud rules are messing things up somewhere in the stack.

Just spit-balling...

I don't have anything custom, Commerce related at least. Not to my knowledge. Really unsure why this happens. Do these users need to be verified members? Because right now I have it so that people need to purchase a product to register, maybe IPS isn't capturing if the member isn't a validated member? Or maybe I'm spouting non-sense. lol

Edited by Mike I

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this but now this issue has falled into my hands. I am on the most up to date version of invision community. Man this is rediculous how it was pointed out 2 years ago and its still not fixed. I've spoke with stripe and they are telling me api calls in my cms is causing this.

9 hours ago, WiCKeDxgg said:

Sorry to bump this but now this issue has falled into my hands. I am on the most up to date version of invision community. Man this is rediculous how it was pointed out 2 years ago and its still not fixed. I've spoke with stripe and they are telling me api calls in my cms is causing this.

There has been issues noted only today, however prior to that there wasnt actually an issue on this one. These were setup issues. Have you checked your secret is set up correctly here?

AdminCP > Commerce > Payments > Settings > Payment Methods > Stripe

If not, you need to check that first. If it is, you need to submit a topic in the correct support area

• 11 months later...