Excessive Resource Usage with Litespeed?

Hi everyone,

I've had excessive resource usage warnings coming in a lot and have gotten used to it. Mainly with spamd.

After updating to PHP 7.4 the warnings are now constant, one or two every minute with lsphp now taking first prize in resources.

Does the resource usage in my screenshot look normal? If it is perhaps I can reduce the warning emails, if it is high, does anyone have any suggestions on how to lower the resource usage?

resources.thumb.png.c1062e5a45392dc8bf5cda131ac73303.png

Thanks

Do you know what your server load average is during peak hours?

What kind of server is this (what processor/how many cores or threads does it have)?

Is your site feeling slow at all, or are you just worried because of the warning e-mails?

It could be normal and a non-issue depending on how these alerts are configured. Aa long as your server load isn't exceeding your hardware specifications and site performance is good I wouldn't worry.

Additionally, make sure you have opcache installed and enabled on PHP 7.4.

Thanks for the reply @Makoto At the moment I'm concerned about the warnings as my site has run quite slow in the past. It does appear faster after the update.

CPU: 4 processors (2.1ghz) 8ghz total.
RAM: 12GB

The memory seems to be getting used up but perhaps that is normal on this kind of forum.

sh-ram.png.3bf4784d05959d6b3a23731763a0fce6.png

I'm trying to understand the load averages. I believe the blocks represents the cpu core/s first being the past 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes. So 1.07 wouldn't be too bad I guess.

sh-load-averages.png.1e16c820fa7998af7cc5d3c3367b3e76.png

Also Opcache is installed and enabled :cool:

1 hour ago, AnonymousDev said:

Thanks for the reply @Makoto At the moment I'm concerned about the warnings as my site has run quite slow in the past. It does appear faster after the update.

CPU: 4 processors (2.1ghz) 8ghz total.
RAM: 12GB

The memory seems to be getting used up but perhaps that is normal on this kind of forum.

sh-ram.png.3bf4784d05959d6b3a23731763a0fce6.png

I'm trying to understand the load averages. I believe the blocks represents the cpu core/s first being the past 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes. So 1.07 wouldn't be too bad I guess.

sh-load-averages.png.1e16c820fa7998af7cc5d3c3367b3e76.png

Also Opcache is installed and enabled :cool:

How many core do you have?

I have 8 cores and use only 2 for openlitespeed, other 6 for everything else.

Just now, AnonymousDev said:

Hey @Steph40 Thanks for your reply. I had to check this one to make sure. I have 4 vCPUs I'm guessing that is 4 cores.

My server management skills are pretty low so will have to look into dedicating cores to specific tasks.

You probably don't need 4 for the server, try splitting half way, 2 cores for server 2 for everything else. Litespeed is a very liteweight server, I am considering only one core fore my server. 

1 hour ago, Steph40 said:

Just in case  go to Server Configuration > General > Number of Workers

Cool! I've tried to find the settings but can't seem to find them. Is this in Litespeed settings? My WebAdmin Console doesn't load for me for some reason.

Via WHM, Server Configuration > General > Number of Workers. I can't seem to find. I have Tweak Settings but still couldn't find the setting in there.

3 hours ago, AnonymousDev said:

I see where the setting is in Litespeed, I'll try to get the WebAdmin Console to work for me.

Open Firewall Ports¶
In addition to TCP 80 and TCP 443, LiteSpeed uses UDP 443 for QUIC, which is one of LiteSpeed's most popular features. Make sure that TCP 80, 443 and UDP 443 are open in Firewall Configuration. TCP 7080 is also used by LiteSpeed for its WebAdmin Console, and it requires a username and password to log in (you will set these during installation). You should keep this port open to Administrative IP's only.

https://docs.litespeedtech.com/cp/cpanel/quickstart/

Does the Excessive Resource warning below look ok?

I'm wondering if I should be changing any virtual memory settings or just the warning settings.

Time:         Tue Nov 10 00:53:06 2020 +0000
Account:      accountname
Resource:     Virtual Memory Size
Exceeded:     578 > 200 (MB)
Executable:   /opt/cpanel/ea-php74/root/usr/bin/lsphp
Command Line: lsphp                                  
PID:          13498 (Parent PID:18764)
Killed:       No

Currently I've turned off the warning messages/emails as they are coming in at a rate of 2 every minute.

I'm also receiving the following, should I worry about this?

Time:         Tue Nov 10 22:10:04 2020 +0000
Account:      accountname
Resource:     Process Time
Exceeded:     418061 > 1800 (seconds)
Executable:   /opt/cpanel/ea-php74/root/usr/bin/lsphp
Command Line: lsphp                                  
PID:          18764 (Parent PID:17805)
Killed:       No