Add a chatbox system merged with messages

Interferon

I have ArrowChat installed right now and there are problems.

• It's difficult to adjust the theme colors and it doesn't match our site.
  • There is a hidden bar across the bottom of the screen that blocks the mouse from clicking on the underlying page.
  • I sometimes am carrying on conversations with the same person simultaneously in messages and chat and can't decide which I should use to reply.

The way Facebook and LinkedIn have quick chat merged with the private message system is really ideal. If you need to make a one-word reply to someone it only takes a second and you don't have to leave the page you are on, but you can also dive into the full message editor to read or write a more elaborate message.

This request does not include any Discord-style chat rooms because I think that is outside the scope of what the forum software should do and I am not interested in this. I am just talking about improving the private messages system with a quick chatbox feature.

Edited by Interferon

Real example from today:

A programmer asked me a technical question. I thought maybe he asked part of it wrong, so I replied with a two-word question and went back to work. Then I saw his chat reply, that he had meant to ask it that way.

Now I want to give him a full answer by pasting a block of code, which would be difficult to manage in the chat window, so I have to switch over to the private messages system, and the conversation will now be split across these two systems.

Edited by Interferon

9 hours ago, Interferon said:

so I have to switch over to the private messages system, and the conversation will now be split across these two systems.

That is why I abandoned the use of 2 chat apps.

IPS core become with PM, Status, topic...these features can be re-merged a little to creating a conversation and communication more unique place and confortable for new users, or just the mayority people use habit.(SOMETIME FOR DEVELOPERS OR GUYS WHO ALREADY EXPERT PLAYING THE PLATFORM, FOR THEM SO MANY THINGS ARE COMMON SENSE AND WELL DONE, AND THIS IS RELATIONAL PERSPETICVE...FOR WHO WE ARE WANT TO IMPROVE OUR PLATFORM?)

Edited by kmk

• 3 months later...

I noticed upwork.com has improved their messaging system. This might provide some inspiration. What they have created is halfway between a forum messaging system and Discord / Slack. It's pretty nice.

I uninstalled Arrowchat because people did not use it much and it made page loading slower.

messages_web_upwork_uigarage-1024x517.thumb.png.645c6f9fb10acea5e3023ab8c2f81139.png

Edited by Interferon