Promote to Twitter, links?

I've setup a new Twitter account and sorted out my developer account. I'm able to promote to Twitter but, the Tweets are not turning into or showing as links?

Wasn't it the case (before), if you promoted to Twitter, it showed the image, and the Tweet acted as a link with a preview of the post? Now all I get is a Tweet with a preview of text and a hyperlink which looks awful, but it does show an image.

I've also noticed when using Twitter Card Validator that no images show on my links? I can only add a sharer image which is then displayed, obviously this is no good as you want to grab the attention of users with engaging images.

Edited by Dean_

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, opentype said:

I never used function that but I doubt that it would post the image to Twitter. What kind of content are you promoting? It should pick up the OG:image automatically for the Twitter card, unless it’s a forum topic. 

Forum topic promoted to Twitter (as far as I'm aware) should detect the image either from the topic or the uploaded image.

The website URL with a Default share image uploaded works fine, but obviously this isn't useful for posting links to Twitter.

I also came across an old topic which you was discussion this very thing;

Edited by Dean_

29 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

Forum topic promoted to Twitter (as far as I'm aware) should detect the image either from the topic or the uploaded image.

Yeah, but as far as I know, what you are sending to Twitter is just a link and Twitter will crawl the topic itself, which doesn’t have any information about the “promotion” (and the images chosen for it). 
So the best you get is the sharer image unless you have my plugin for topics.
The Twitter card support itself is a stock functionality now, but there is not necessarily a meaningful image available for every URL of the suite. 

17 minutes ago, opentype said:

Yeah, but as far as I know, what you are sending to Twitter is just a link and Twitter will crawl the topic itself, which doesn’t have any information about the “promotion” (and the images chosen for it). 
So the best you get is the sharer image unless you have my plugin for topics.
The Twitter card support itself is a stock functionality now, but there is not necessarily a meaningful image available for every URL of the suite. 

Ah ok, I understand. Thanks for your help!