FAQ/QA Widget [Support topic]

FAQ/QA Widget is a widget, can be assign to any page through Block Manager by Admin. Admin can add/remove QA from the front-end of website. After installing the plugin, there is many option to customize the look and appearance of the widget. like background color, titles, colors and font size. you always can use default view as well, which is inherit the look and appearance from normal IPS style widgets.

Please use this topic for support request or suggest new ideas.

Hi, first of all thanks for this. Frankly I think it's long overdue – I'm amazed that there hasn't been any question answer type of provision on the basic forum platform and it's great that you have come along and started to address this problem.

I'm finding it a little bit complicated to work my way round – but I will get to understand it as we go along.

One thing which would be extremely useful would be to have a space at the top where one could put an introduction.

At the moment, you simply launch into questions and answers – and it doesn't seem possible in the normal format of the forum to have an area above the questions and answers where there is an introduction.

Would it be possible to include an area – below the title – where one could introduce and explain what the questions and answers for.

What I have in mind for instance is this introduction:

image.thumb.png.f535faa9b6c660bcd49afda630b930b9.png

And then followed by the questions and answers:

image.thumb.png.96bff9059e19a20741b6906234fe0b02.png

Sorry to start being picky and choosy just as soon as you've uploaded it – but it really looks as if it's got great potential.

Also, I need some specific help.

I thought I understood it completely – but I don't.

I'm trying to put a set of questions and answers in one particular place in a sub- forum – not in the margin – but on the page itself – and it seems to be appearing everywhere.

I want it specifically just in a sub- forum and not visible anywhere else.

Is that possible?

I'm a bit worried because if it's not possible then we're going to find it very difficult to use this. Most of our FAQs are in particular places in subject specific sub- forums

I think this means that not only have we got be able to decide which groups have access to it but also in which sub- forums the FAQs should be placed

Edited by BankFodder
9 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Hi, first of all thanks for this. Frankly I think it's long overdue – I'm amazed that there hasn't been any question answer type of provision on the basic forum platform and it's great that you have come along and started to address this problem.

I'm finding it a little bit complicated to work my way round – but I will get to understand it as we go along.

One thing which would be extremely useful would be to have a space at the top where one could put an introduction.

At the moment, you simply launch into questions and answers – and it doesn't seem possible in the normal format of the forum to have an area above the questions and answers where there is an introduction.

Would it be possible to include an area – below the title – where one could introduce and explain what the questions and answers for.

What I have in mind for instance is this introduction:

8 hours ago, BankFodder said:

Also, I need some specific help.

I thought I understood it completely – but I don't.

I'm trying to put a set of questions and answers in one particular place in a sub- forum – not in the margin – but on the page itself – and it seems to be appearing everywhere.

I want it specifically just in a sub- forum and not visible anywhere else.

Is that possible?

I'm a bit worried because if it's not possible then we're going to find it very difficult to use this. Most of our FAQs are in particular places in subject specific sub- forums

I think this means that not only have we got be able to decide which groups have access to it but also in which sub- forums the FAQs should be placed

Hello,

Thanks for your purchase. also thanks for the ideas and reports, and will definitely put to consideration. special space for description, and ability to create sets of QA per use is definitely in my radar for future releases, which is coming as soon as possible.

however about member group permissions, I think you can do it by sub-forums itself. you can choose which group can see a sub-forum and therefore it's FAQ/QA widget.

3 hours ago, Unlucky said:

Hi,

I think we will purchase this.

It would be good however to be able to add html in the answer section so we could for example add a youtube help video or links taking the user to off site answers.

Is this possible?

Hello,

Thanks for suggestion. this one is a bit tricky but let me see what I can do.

Hi, thanks for your very quick response.

I'm afraid group permissions don't do it because it still means that the accordion will be visible on pretty well every page. Apart from the fact that this gets in the way of other information,
so means that the information doesn't appear in its proper context.

Also, we have lots of FAQs on lots of different topics. You can probably imagine at least 20. These different FAQs appear in different places on the forum according to the context.

What you are suggesting would mean that all 20 FAQs would be visible at any one time on any particular page. This will become so cluttered and so confusing as to be unmanageable. They would displace all sorts of other things – including advertising, Twitter feeds – and other information

We absolutely need to be able to place each FAQ in its proper place so that it is in its context and not part of a huge encyclopaedia of FAQs.

Also, as I've suggested, what will be really ideal would be to open up a new post and then to be able to paste an accordion into it by means of some code. I don't know if the Invision structure will allow this – and maybe this would be a much more difficult result to achieve – but this would certainly make your FAQs perfect.

Anyway, at the very least be able to allocate one particular viewing area for each FAQ.

2 hours ago, BankFodder said:

I'll bet you wish you had never started it!!!)

😀

Not at all, suggestions and ideas are welcomed. they definitely put to consideration. sometimes doable and sometimes not. in your case, I think it's doable. 👍

For next update, two feature will be added. description field for widget, and per-use of the widget, so admin can have more than one set of FAQ/QA widgets.

Edited by shahed
1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

That's great news. Do you have any timescale for this?

Can't say for sure.

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

Is it not possible to prepare a question and answer accordion, and then to take the code for it and place it directly into a post?

What kind of code?

I really don't know I don't know anything about this kind of thing. I imagined that underlying the question-and-answer accordion they would be underlying code – a bit like HTML which could be pasted into a post and that would produce a working accordion which could be accessed by all who were entitled to visit that particular sub- forum.

Just now, BankFodder said:

I really don't know I don't know anything about this kind of thing. I imagined that underlying the question-and-answer accordion they would be underlying code – a bit like HTML which could be pasted into a post and that would produce a working accordion which could be accessed by all who were entitled to visit that particular sub- forum.

I still don't get it. assigning specific accordion to specific sub-forum is something that I'm looking for, but it's still works as widget and manageable by block manager section. so if you want to have accordion like QA section in posts, best way is create one with a online FAQ Generator tools. then use the HTML code in your posts (as Source mode in editor).

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, MegaBoosting said:

Using the page builder option (single row page), the widget does not function properly.
It seems to work in the forums section & on double-row pages, just not single row ones.

I can confirm the issue. in fact it's not just when using widget in page builder, but FAQ widget won't show proper function in Pages app as a whole. thanks for reporting this.

Will be fix in 2.0.2

Edited by shahed
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Edjazoli said:

Hi, are you planning add translation for your faq system? 

Hello,

I'm afraid no. adding this require some work that basically drastically changes how the plugin works. currently with stack forms we already get unlimited two row fields (one for Q and one for A next to each other) and making this translatable it's just not the way with current structure. plus in any format it is likely that contents created in every FAQ widgets need to be re-created by every other users.