Community

Do you earn money with your forum?

Hello everybody. 

I'm Bruno from Brazil, then sorry about by english hahah

Do you earn money with your forum? I know how much time and money i spend with this 'toy'. All month i need to pay host, new updates and brind more new to my members...

But i do that because i love my forum, i've create this board when i was only 15 and i've recreate again recently, 2 years ago.

My question is, if you earn... nice! But if not... why you have your forum?

same like you, it's my passion project. I had mine for 14.5 years now. In its heyday it was the most popular thing in its niche in my country. Back in the day I earned a lot of money with it but not much since 2015 when FB took over and I got lazy and did not update the forum and stayed on 3.4.

last year I made the big upgrade, slowly regaining traffic and member activity and I earn nothing. I spent 4 months almost every day upgrading it, planning it, working on it and so on and I have not earned anything substantial back. and its not a problem. I just love having a place where people meet and I get to play with IPS software and mods. 😄

yes, earn small amount of money, enough to pay the bill, 😉

but same as you all, this is more like passion for me, love to make community and playing around on forum script, been on forum since 2009, use IPS since 2012

🥰

No, but l hope to make something to offset the costs one day. I really created my forum so members could discuss things without being silenced by others and to keep my sanity in the most restricted state on earth, (Covid).

But these days l seem to be talking to myself, and l have  appointed a few mods that have disappeared.

A few have posted then disappeared, member/mod,

A bit of a catch 22, you need members to post so other will also, but if no one posts to me, then others won't.

I will be concentrating more on the traffic, since the site is pretty much set up, but so far it seems to be "if you build it, then you need a cattle prod for the other bit"?

:unsure:

We earn just about enough each year through Google Ads and a few donations to pay for our hosting and software renewals and maybe the odd mod or two. That's the aim each year. Never going to get rich doing it but its satisfying that the community has a stable core of members with others coming and going over the years. Been doing this site for 26 years (1994) and using Invision since 2007. Like others, its a passion project (my favourite football [soccer] team) with a secondary pull that it keeps me connected to my home city after moving away from there in 2003. 

1 hour ago, HighlanderICT said:

We earn just about enough each year through Google Ads and a few donations to pay for our hosting and software renewals and maybe the odd mod or two. That's the aim each year. Never going to get rich doing it but its satisfying that the community has a stable core of members with others coming and going over the years. Been doing this site for 26 years (1994) and using Invision since 2007. Like others, its a passion project (my favourite football [soccer] team) with a secondary pull that it keeps me connected to my home city after moving away from there in 2003.

So was it like pulling turnips when you started or did you have a list to start?

I used to be able to cover my costs with a little bit extra to run fun events like contests with prizes and giveaway items. 

These days however, I am lucky if I can get a few donations. I am fully funding the site out of my own pocket. At this point it is a labor of love. My site used to be the number one destination. But Facebook groups have pulled most of our members away. I have a few dedicated and loyal members still but it is not like it was in its hay day 15 years ago. 😞

Edited by Michael R

Disclaimer: My community doesn't use the forums exclusively or even majorly, we're just a website built on Invision's software that has forums. 

We earn I would say a modest profit that is about 3x the cost of running the site, but I wish we could get Google Ads to actually work the way it should so we could earn even more.  The bigger our community grows, the more money we invest into it to make sure we can keep up with everything, but we've tried twice to get Google set up and both times were absolutely horrible. 

Even though we had all video/sound/pop-up/full-screen ads disabled, we always got them and it made the website unusable, especially when someone would attempt to browse via mobile.  Reported several times to Google with no progress.  We only ever put 1 ad block per page, sometimes 2 maximum on heavier traffic'd pages, and it was just a terrible user experience overall.  We could be making a decent chunk of change just from one block on our homepage and yet Google can't guarantee that a loud, obnoxious pop-up ad that blocks access to the website won't get through.

Meme Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by ahc
On 10/9/2020 at 12:09 PM, tmcom said:

So was it like pulling turnips when you started or did you have a list to start?

We were the first site for our team in the early days where the upstart world wide web was taking over from Fidonet and Usenet so that helped. We were also part of the rivals.net network of sports sites which got us publicity (and funding) during the so-called (first) dot-com bubble, and we also have longevity compared to other sites which came and went. For a while we were also the official site for our club and have a long history of working with them so we get traffic by association too.

It was a slow process though and we worked hard on it. Our first influx of members came from out of town and we set ourselves up as a bit of a club who met up in the bar on matchdays. We established a home bar where the owner was delighted to get all the extra trade and our members felt at home in a face to face environment. We are by no means the only site anymore, and our traffic is lower than it was as there are more options for people who prefer social media, facebook, podcasts etc. but we still retain a core of those members, many of whom have been around since the start and who have formed lifelong friendships on the sites (I think we are also responsible for a few marriages and babies too).  We used to worry about being the biggest or the best but the biggest lesson I think we learned over the years is that we cannot be everything to everyone so just do what we do and change or adapt where we have to or where it makes sense.     

Yes. I make a comfortable living solely off my forum these days.

It started as a simple place to provide updates on a game project I was running around 2012 or so. That project has long since ended but the forums have taken on a life of their own since then. 5 years later or so, after being laid off from my programming job at the time I just shrugged as the forums were already making more in ad revenue than I got from that job. I now just spend my work time doing various moderation/admin tasks and maintaining the servers as needed.