We need webp NOW

Everade

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

2. The grand irony - or perverse absurdity - is that my own website delivers images as webp via my Cloudflare.  I literally have users who have downloaded my site's images, but can't upload them back to my site! That comes across as distinctly discrepant.  

FWIW if your users download images as WebP, they probably can't open/view them on their desktop either. Windows, at the very least, does not recognize WebP as an image format.

You should avoid having your users download images in WebP format. Serving them in-browser is fine, but the original downloads should always be PNG, JPEG, GIF or so on until this changes.

Edited by Makoto

20 minutes ago, Makoto said:

FWIW if your users download images as WebP, they probably can't open/view them on their desktop either. Windows, at the very least, does not recognize WebP as an image format.

The classic Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 supports WebP. This means that you can open WebP photos with Windows Photo Viewer without installing any codec or plugin. Right-click on the WebP picture file, click Open with, and then select Windows Photo Viewer to open the WebP image with Windows Photo Viewer.  However, the catch is that Windows Photo Viewer has been turned off by default. You need to enable it.  Doing that is pretty easy.  Open Notepad and save this as PhotoViewer.reg (be sure not to save it as a text document). Right click the reg file and select, Merge.   Then find a WebP photo of your choice, right click, and open it with Windows Photo Viewer.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Change Extension's File Type
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]
@="PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

Edited by Linux-Is-Best
correct wording

2 minutes ago, Linux-Is-Best said:

The classic Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10 supports WebP. This means that you can open WebP photos with Windows Photo Viewer without installing any codec or plugin. Right-click on the WebP picture file, click Open with, and then select Windows Photo Viewer to open the WebP image with Windows Photo Viewer.  However, the catch is that Windows Photo Viewer has been turned off by default. You need to enable it.  Doing that is pretty easy.  Open Notepad and save this as PhotoViewer.reg (be sure not to save it as a text document). Right click the photo and select, Merge.   Then find a WebP photo of your choice, right click, and open it with Windows Photo Viewer.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jpeg]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.gif]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.png]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.bmp]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.tiff]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.ico]

Anything that requires doing registry edits means it's not something that's accessible to the common user is my point.

Until it just works out of the box, without needing you to manually enable anything, it's still a problem, and why you should work to avoid having users download files in WebP format to begin with.

Me personally, I use Directory Opus as a drop-in replacement for Windows Explorer, which has its own photo viewer that is vastly superior to Windows', so the issue doesn't apply to me personally, I'm just thinking in regards to the average end user.

This is not at all an argument against supporting WebP as an uploadable image format, just an observation.

Edited by Makoto

1 minute ago, Makoto said:

Anything that requires doing registry edits means it's not something that's accessible to the common user is my point.

Until it just works out of the box, without needing you to manually enable anything, it's still a problem, and why you should work to avoid having users download files in WebP format to begin with.

This is not at all an argument against supporting WebP as an uploadable image format, just an observation.

Fair point. Although I cannot test it since I no longer use Windows, I imagine Microsoft Edge could open a WebP without a reg edit. But I digress. Your point is valid.

13 hours ago, Joel R said:

Webp is not a niche image format anymore. Full stop.  While I could understand that argument in 2015,  webp is now almost universally supported by all browsers: 

Keyword being almost. 10% of unsupported users of those being tracked is quite a lot of users. I would still argue that unless the format is officially supported as an industry standard and fully supported in commercial platforms, both for producing graphics and for displaying graphics, it is a risk to add it to your commercial software.

Besides, it even says so on the page that webp is already being challenged by an even better standard in AVIF that is developed by AOM. Do you really think that Google will come out on top with a BSD licensed image format against an open format backed by the giants in the AOM?

At the end of the day it is IPS decision, but I would rather see support for vector graphic than webp in the near future. A plugin for those that need webp should suffice over it being a native feature as it would mitigate official support taking time from other, more important issues.

That's just me though 🙂

• 4 months later...