Pages SuperVote (Support topic)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few questions, if you don't mind.

1. Can members of the forum add entries to a Vote list/category? Or are they only added by admin/mods?

2. Do these pages have to be made first in order for it to show up as an entry in the Vote list/category? Are the images and info manually entered?
2.a The part that list the Director, can we change the background color, also can we enter other info here, example, Year Released, Producer, Genre, etc.
supervote-page.png.63a9820da117d19db3297c8a17e4d6d1.png

3. If I read the description on the product page correctly, we can create as many Vote list as we'd like.

For example,
Best Movie of 2020.
Best Movie of 2019.
Best Movie by Director Quentin Tarantino.
Best TV Series of the 80s'.

4. Is it possible to show the image, especially movie posters, in full on the Vote page? Also, this way you will have room to show the description here also. Something about showing images cropped, cut off, just don't sit well with my OCD. 😔

suvo-fullpic.thumb.jpg.5e5d76a3d9fdff36e402668d8b2b243f.jpg

One more thing, by chance will you be having a Black Friday deal on all your applications?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions.

Edited by SC36DC
8 hours ago, SC36DC said:

1. Can members of the forum add entries to a Vote list/category? Or are they only added by admin/mods?

It’s just a template set for a Pages database. The core functionality will therefore be identical to what Pages databases can do. If you aren’t familiar with that yet, you can learn more about it in IPS’ Guides section. That answers all the questions about fields, who can create records and so on. 
The customization options that differ from a stock Pages database are explained on the product page. Anything not listed there or not available in a standard Pages database, isn’t supported. 

8 hours ago, SC36DC said:

One more thing, by chance will you be having a Black Friday deal on all your applications?

No. 

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I can't find the option "Enable Star Ratings" in the database settings.

Also, the votes casted don't seem to be working. Nothing happens once you click on it — once you reload the page, the counter is reset.

Any advise?

Kind regards.

edit: I just realized that the "Enable Star Ratings" only appears when Use Categories is disabled. But I do need categories... It isn't specified anywhere that it isn't compatible with Categories..

Edited by Daniel B.
7 hours ago, Daniel B. said:

edit: I just realized that the "Enable Star Ratings" only appears when Use Categories is disabled. But I do need categories... It isn't specified anywhere that it isn't compatible with Categories..

When you use categories you need to apply the settings on the category level. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased this and a little disappointed in the output - not the actual workings of the up down vote.

A few suggestions for a future update (if there will be one):

Observation: When making the entry, in the listing page the name of the title (say it's Wonder Woman for the movie) links back to the page that allows the listing.  When using a movie poster for the heading it is blasted all out of proportion if using a small image and looks awful.

Suggestion: Allow an alternate URL to be selected so clicking on the title goes to something more relevant - I use Adriano's movie app so an alternate URL would link to something there. Perhaps this could be a special field that can be turn on/off in the settings of the plugin.

Observation: The gap between the up/down vote (horizontally) and the poster image is HUGE and filled with empty space.

Suggestion: When creating the entry some sort of text has to be added in the editor field otherwise it won't process, so why not have that empty space filled with some info from that field? It would fill that gap - alternately have that gap closed to something more aesthetically pleasing.

Observation: Poster images do not show on mobile and title text appears with no up/down vote

Suggestion: As mobiles are used more to view Internet content, the mobile view could do with some work to make it more useable

Other than that, everything else is fine. Just slightly disappointed that it doesn't live up to your other apps which, by the way, are brilliant and I put them to good use.

I hope this helps and is not intended to be denigrating of the plugin just something that may help improve it 🙂

3 hours ago, Davyc said:

Observation: When making the entry, in the listing page the name of the title (say it's Wonder Woman for the movie) links back to the page that allows the listing. 

That won’t change. It’s the standard Pages paradigm. Listing view – Display view. It makes most sense for most databases, including voting databases, e.g. “movie title and some key facts“ on listing view and “full description + comments“ et cetera on display view. The display view can also be shown with whatever template you want. 

Changing the title links can be done by customizing the template though. 

When creating the entry some sort of text has to be added in the editor field otherwise it won't process, so why not have that empty space filled with some info from that field? 

Already possible and meant this way. You decide what fields you put in the listing view. Check the option to show “meta info”. 
The content field can be turned off as with any Pages database. (Make it not required. Remove permissions.)

Observation: Poster images do not show on mobile and title text appears with no up/down vote

It’s both controlled through settings. 

Edited by opentype
13 minutes ago, opentype said:

Changing the title links can be done by customizing the template though. 

That's what I'd like to do using a custom field, but that's beyond me lol.  I know someone who may be able to sort that 🙂

14 minutes ago, opentype said:

Already possible and meant this way. You decide what fields you put in the listing view. Check the option to show “meta info”. 
The content field can be turned off as with any Pages database. (Make it not required. Remove permissions.)

I learn something new every day - that's what I love about the IPS software and those who can get into the guts of the system.

15 minutes ago, opentype said:

It’s both controlled through settings. 

You know, that's my bad - I always forget to check the plugin settings.

I'm off to have a play - thanks as always to @opentype for pointing the way - love it 🙂

• 6 months later...

The listing page doesn’t offer moderation options (like mass-move, mass-delete). These type of functions have to be performed from the ACP

Just to check, is this because it interferes with the function somehow?
Just so I don't spend time trying to figure out how to get it working in vain 😉

Just a suggestion, you maybe should change the phrases. Instead of +5 Stars +1 Star (don't remeber the exact text anymore) you maybe should simply use I like it I don't like it or somthing like that.

Users might be distracted if they want to vote something down and the text shows them they give +1 star.

4 hours ago, Darth Vortex said:

Just a suggestion, you maybe should change the phrases. Instead of +5 Stars +1 Star (don't remeber the exact text anymore) you maybe should simply use I like it I don't like it or somthing like that.

Users might be distracted if they want to vote something down and the text shows them they give +1 star.

They are language strings, so you can adjust them as you see fit.

It makes sense though, so you know what is happening, especially if you also show the ratings.

@opentype Hi Ralf, I have an issue that I can't find a resolution for so perhaps you can give me a pointer please.

I'm just currently playing around with the Supervote app to create a top 20 albums list.  I want to give all members the ability to cast their votes on the entries made, whether it's a thumbs up or thumbs down, however I keep getting this on the down vote even though I'm an admin and definitely not a new member.

image.png.91c971aca65ddd6c097617bdbd8cb755.png

I've checked the plugin settings and I've not activated the limit downvoting switch:

image.png.79c6fe96021f1edbf181b47f75d13780.png

Can you point me towards what I need to do to remove this restriction? With thanks  🙂