Customize edit time per app

Go to solution Solved by Pavel Chernitsky,

3 minutes ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

edit time for blogs or articles

For articles in Pages database there is a setting Edit own records indefinitely on the database. If everybody should be able to edit the article then you can use Wiki-style editing. As far as I know the blog entries are always editable by blog authors. In 4.4 it was default. 🤨

We're on the latest version (4.5.2), and unfortunately we do not want to allow user to delete or edit comments, Because disabling comments is kinda douchy. We don't support content on which the author might want to turn comments off since we still haven't reached a community size that will demand such an option (We're like a super-duper transparent and objective no-marketing no-bulfaeces kind of community).

• 5 months later...
  • Solution

I FIGURED IT OUT! 

I found a way around this. it is, most definitely a faff and a workaround, and is NOT a "how it should be", but it works nonetheless, so if anyone in the future is reading this - this is how you do it:

1. Make a new group for all the people you want to apply this permission to (I just copied my basic "members" group so they have the same permissions).
  2. Give this group the "can edit own content" permission, click "customize", choose ONLY "Blogs", and tick the "unlimited" box under " Edit time restriction" (See 'screenshot_1').
  3. Choose the people you want to have this permission. for us it was pretty straight-forward, I just used the "Download member list" and filtered by "Member has a blog". To do this, in the ACP go to Members->Members->Download member list (See screenshot_2) and the scroll down to "Member has a blog"->choose "yes" (See 'screenshot_3').
  4. Put the people you chose into that group (you can import the list you made in the previous step to the new group).

Bonus Step: You can, additionally, grant this group the "can lock own content" and choose "Topics". (See 'screenshot_4') That way you can encourage your bloggers to open a thread for when they have a new blog post, link that blog post and have people who want to comment on it, be "forced" to comment on the blogpost itself and not in the thread. this allow you to KIND OF replicate what can be automatically triggered with articles, where when an article is published a thread automatically opens and the comments to both are shared between them.

This should, at least minus the member list download part and to the best of my understanding, work on any "type" of content you want to allow your members to be able to edit without any, or with different time limits. 

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg

On 9/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, Pavel Chernitsky said:

Ok, so I had a talk with support, and they confirmed it is actually intended. So there is no native way to allow members to edit their blog posts without allowing them full moderation rights for their blogs.

This is insane. How is this not a bug? Or do you mean to have them be able to edit beyond whatever the threshold is for all content?

So, is the use case you want members to only be able to edit all non-Blog content they create for 30 minutes, but blog entries they create forever, without the option of granting permission moderating comments made to those entries?

If it's the second thing, I would agree that this is by design and that your workaround would be the way to go. Can you squeeze group promotions in there somehow so members are added to that secondary blog editing group automatically going forward?

Edited by Paul E.

1 minute ago, Paul E. said:

This is insane. How is this not a bug?

I guess they want to have just one time limit for editing on all content.

2 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

So, is the use case you want members to only be able to edit all non-Blog content they create for 30 minutes, but blog entries they create forever, without the option of granting permission moderating comments made to those entries?

I'm not sure I understood this sentence entirely (English isn't my first language, and let's be frank, that's a fairly long sentence) - but I want to say that the answer is "yes". 

10 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

Can you squeeze group promotions in there somehow so members are added to that secondary blog editing group automatically going forward?

Hmmm.... This could be a thing, but I can't think of a way to do this from the top of my head. I'll need to think about it. 

You might make a very crude "rule" with a free subscription that moves people to one of groups, but that sound really ass-backwards LOL 

Edited by Pavel Chernitsky

3 hours ago, Pavel Chernitsky said:

Hmmm.... This could be a thing, but I can't think of a way to do this from the top of my head. I'll need to think about it. 

You might make a very crude "rule" with a free subscription that moves people to one of groups, but that sound really ass-backwards LOL 

I meant using group promotions:

Set "has blog to yes" and then add them to the secondary group with your workaround.

It's not instantaneous and you have to wait for the scheduled task to run, but it's better than manual work!