Invision devs forgot # of views in Topic Summary?

Also, I can make any topic here on IPS be the most viewed topic in whole IPS history by simply installing a browser extension that refreshes the page at X seconds, like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-refresh/hmooaemjmediafeacjplpbpenjnpcneg?hl=pt-BR

Boom, my topic will be the most important with absolutely no relevant content in it. Just #views increased.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

One thing to keep in mind with topic views is that with guest page caching, most guest views will not be counted. In addition to that, if you have a CDN in front of your web servers (as you would want to do, and we do with our cloud plans), then it's even less frequently that guest counts are recorded.

So while we can add the topic view count in there, it's not really reflective of the actual traffic that one topic gets.

Google Analytics is much better for getting statistical data on this level as it records every hit via a JS API.

I'm not against adding topic views in that block if it's clear what the number represents. 

It's still a relative metric, maybe just not absolute.  People's eyes are drawn towards posts with higher views then ones without. It drives organic traffic towards interesting items versus people having to read every topic. 

I think users go by views...  Are they imperfect. Yes. 

But in comparison to "Day it was most popular"..... it's a no brainer. What motivates a user to post? To be seen.... what metric is "closest" to that motivation? # of views.

Is Google Analytics better.... sure. I trust their numbers more. Can I share those numbers to motivate users on a per topic basis? Not that I know of.

So I'll take what I can get. 

11 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Everyone does realize that Google's # of views is different than actual number of views (that IPS calculates, and therefore is different than google's number of views and people are constantly upset about) which makes the number completely irrelevant right?

Sure My tik tok video gets X number of views but the only time they count is when its a "full" watch..... which neither google nor IPS can say is accurate because they can't tell you if the user is reading the whole thread (thus Google's bounce rate.....)

Honestly views is about as useful as.... NM that was a really dirty joke I shouldn't say but views aren't useful to an end user. All it says is that someone clicked on their post not that they read it.

Not useful... but motivational.... to users

I could have a very well punctuated, grammatically correct, and informational post about bean seeds in China that could be useful to 10 agricultural people in Kansas.

Or I could make $10,000 on one post that some horny teenager posts of Kim Kardashian's derrière. 

I honestly forgot the point I was trying to make with this post.... but I'm sure it's relevant.... somewhere.

9 minutes ago, TheWorldNewsMedia.org said:

I think users go by views...  Are they imperfect. Yes. 

But in comparison to "Day it was most popular"..... it's a no brainer. What motivates a user to post? To be seen.... what metric is "closest" to that motivation? # of views.

Is Google Analytics better.... sure. I trust their numbers more. Can I share those numbers to motivate users on a per topic basis? Not that I know of.

So I'll take what I can get. 

best comment so far, fully agree with you 👍

13 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

Also, I can make any topic here on IPS be the most viewed topic in whole IPS history by simply installing a browser extension that refreshes the page at X seconds, like https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/page-refresh/hmooaemjmediafeacjplpbpenjnpcneg?hl=pt-BR

Boom, my topic will be the most important with absolutely no relevant content in it. Just #views increased.

Actually I would hope that IPS has code to prevent a count up in the case of such a tool as it should be considering the cookie as well. Almost a security issue or close to it if it's allowing that.