Community

How much money do you make with your forum/community?

How much money do you make with your forum/community?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Out of curiosity, i would like to have a picture on how profitable communities are nowadays. I believe that everyone share the same curiosity. Please vote (i seems that answers are anonymous)

I am in the 0 to 500USD range (yearly), considering all the costs (license and server). Very far from making a life out of it 😄 

Edited by xtech
5 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

google ads

Google ads is also not a very good option for me... maybe for high CPC countries like USA, UK, Canada and Germany may be an option, but i just make about 20€ per month out of it. I have more success with affiliate links in my niche market: much less intrusive and a bit better.

It is hard to say because my community Is part of a larger site and I had to put a lot of money to redevelop the whole site although it is mostly the forum that drives the traffic.

In the end I make several thousands euros per year from the forum but it is invested in the rest of the site.

Edited by jesuralem

Nothing - I make my sites because I am passionate about something I want to share with others.  I try something, it if works it sticks, if not it goes, and I try something else.  I don't want other people to fund my endeavours, so I make nothing but ultimately, I lose too.  But that doesn't matter because it's what I do.  I know other people monetize their sites and if they can make something from them, that's great.  Everyone makes their own choices as to what to do, what to dip into and what they're prepared to do to see their vision become a reality.

In this day, it's virtually impossible to get traction on a new site starting up - that's just the reality of the world we live in; people want instant gratification and forums don't give them that.  People have to be prepared to invest some time in a site to make it into something that the author intended.  We have to try, because if we don't then sites and businesses like this would vanish.  So, my pennies go toward what I envision and Invision get something back from my vision and I get the enjoyment from being creative.

Good luck to all who wish to make a living from forums, and good on those who have done for a while, I hope your wheels keep turning 🙂

10 hours ago, Davyc said:

Nothing - I make my sites because I am passionate about something I want to share with others.  I try something, it if works it sticks, if not it goes, and I try something else.  I don't want other people to fund my endeavours, so I make nothing but ultimately, I lose too.  But that doesn't matter because it's what I do.  I know other people monetize their sites and if they can make something from them, that's great.  Everyone makes their own choices as to what to do, what to dip into and what they're prepared to do to see their vision become a reality.

In this day, it's virtually impossible to get traction on a new site starting up - that's just the reality of the world we live in; people want instant gratification and forums don't give them that.  People have to be prepared to invest some time in a site to make it into something that the author intended.  We have to try, because if we don't then sites and businesses like this would vanish.  So, my pennies go toward what I envision and Invision get something back from my vision and I get the enjoyment from being creative.

Good luck to all who wish to make a living from forums, and good on those who have done for a while, I hope your wheels keep turning 🙂

Amen to that brother! Could not have been said better myself!

It is awesome to know that there are people who are doing great and making good Money with their work on communities. It means that, it is possible to get rewarded by your work and there are business models which are effective.

Im a salesman in my dayjob, so I went and fond a bunch of companies to be supporting vendors of the forums and they pay to have their own section on the forum to advertise. I also sell banner space as an additional price per month. 

Whatever your topic is, there are companies who want to advertise to your visitors and members. 

These guys own dozens of sites and appear, on the surface, to be making a good living out of it. Lots of XF sites, maybe some IPS too, although didn't see any.

VerticalScope is an integrated multi-platform media company. Our social networks and websites are vertically integrated roll-ups in high-consumer spending verticals. The resultant audience aggregation places many of our verticals within the Top 5 of ComScore Media Metrix for their respective category.

https://www.verticalscope.com/

Edited by christopher-w
15 minutes ago, christopher-w said:

Did you know of them before I mentioned them?

Not them. But the company with the similar model in other country 😉 

They contact forum admins and offer them ad contracts. If forum owner agrees, they place ad tags with advertising platform like Google DFP. If there are no direct advertisers they automatically display AdSense for unsold and remnant inventory. They also acquire the forums before they die, if the subject of the community is interesting for advertisers. They have some writers that keep the communities live by creating new threads, making posts and trying to engage users. 

On 9/4/2020 at 11:36 PM, Davyc said:

On 9/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Odiss said:

I have 2 forums and they are both new and it cost me a lot of money to get them setup and going. But it's worth it to me because its more of a passion for me than a money maker.

Agreed, for me l just want a forum where l can post what l want and call the shots, and where  the Off Topic section is fun. I make most of my profits through online trading, so am not building a forum for the money, more to keep my sanity, (Covid restrictions are pretty nasty here) although l am hoping to offset my costs to a reasonable degree.

So for me it is building a forum that is fun, safe and appealing, (that is worth a lot in todays world).

On 9/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, Tarun said:

I do completely free tech support on my site, no ads, driven only by donations. I really wish I had more traffic to my site.

Interesting l am looking into Amazon ad's myself.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:29 AM, Sonya* said:

Not them. But the company with the similar model in other country 😉 

They contact forum admins and offer them ad contracts. If forum owner agrees, they place ad tags with advertising platform like Google DFP. If there are no direct advertisers they automatically display AdSense for unsold and remnant inventory. They also acquire the forums before they die, if the subject of the community is interesting for advertisers. They have some writers that keep the communities live by creating new threads, making posts and trying to engage users. 

Trying to engage users? :unsure: