Option "Insert external images only by HTTPS"

Suggestion for IPS core functionality.

It would be awesome to have an ability to Insert external images only by HTTPS, because:

1. Insertion by HTTP causes warnings in the browser's URL bar.
  2. Image proxy has some downsides and not always could be a choice.

Just now, Stuart Silvester
  1. A setting for this was introduced in 4.5.0
    image.png
  2. The Image Proxy was removed in 4.5 due to inherent security risks that it was no longer worth trying to work around since the adoption of SSL has drastically increased since we introduced the feature.

What about sites that have years of embedded images already? Some of us have been storing those images on our servers for years now.

wool old/existing image proxy images we already have saved continue to work, or will all of those stored proxy image break on upgrade?

Yet another thing causing a big disappointment about IPS is the strange restrictions on the content on this website.

image.thumb.png.6a0ee7ca2445e9c494b50a7caf76974a.png

19 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

A setting for this was introduced in 4.5.0
image.png

Thanks. I hope you will add a way to rebuild old content (including user profiles, signatures, etc.) and change existing images from HTTP to HTTPS where it possible.

There seem to be a set of content only available to those with resources published in the Marketplace.

I agree that it's an odd choice as there's no mention of it until you come across these embedded things us plebs can't see.

But, I see the link above and have not published anything in Marketplace so not sure why you don't see it. It's in the Client Lounge forum.

31 minutes ago, TDBF said:

I get those error messages as well,

My comment was aimed at the person who I specifically replied to, who cannot see that item because it's on the client lounge...hence "renew your license then"

If someone publishes something in a forum you can't view (example: the contributor's forum) then you will see the message.

If you, specifically, cannot see the item I linked to then raise a ticket with support because you should be able to see it.

Anyway...back to my lasagne.

Edited by Nathan Explosion

Such restrictions do not benefit the community. An open community is a very cheap, stable, and efficient way to product promotion and user retention. It's funny (and sad at the same time) what IPS still hasn't figured it out.

The client lounge could be read-only for not active clients. Contributors section, the same way, could be read-only for those who did not contribute yet, as it has some topics which are useful for those who are just on the way to contribute.

Edited by Mr 13

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like one important question was missed in the off-topic messages flow:

On 8/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, Mr 13 said:

Thanks. I hope you will add a way to rebuild old content (including user profiles, signatures, etc.) and change existing images from HTTP to HTTPS where it possible.

• 2 years later...
  • Management
On 3/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, MeMaBlue said:

has that been answered? I have same issue.

My forums are 18 and 15 years old, and ... have that thing. what can I do? 

This is a pretty old topic. Which part were you wondering about?