ICS 4.5 Broke Newsletters Plugin--Permissions Error. Help?

Hello,

After updating to Invision Community 4.5 when the popup appeared at the top of my forum, I'm getting an ominous error when I try to interact with one of my plugins.

The CSRF protection key did not match. This may indicate a plugin or theme is out of date. Please contact technical support for more information.

Is there some way I can fix this or roll back to 4.4.10? I would not have done this update if it had been more clear it might knock out critical plugins. The release notes did not suggest that at all.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

I think the only way to revert to 4.4.10 would be to restore from a backup. Did you happen to make a backup prior to performing the upgrade?

Can you disable the application/plugin in the interim?

I did not make a backup, unfortunately. I've never actually seen anything in the settings that would let me do that. Are there instructions somewhere?

The good news is the update automatically disabled all my plugins. The issue popped up when I re-enabled them.

This plugin manages the forum's once-a-day, full text email digest with new content, for about 450 people. I've posted up a notice that the email digest is temporarily offline due to glitch, but I'm hoping there's a way I can get it going again.

Just now, John T Davis said:

I did not make a backup, unfortunately. I've never actually seen anything in the settings that would let me do that. Are there instructions somewhere?

The good news is the update automatically disabled all my plugins. The issue popped up when I re-enabled them.

This plugin manages the forum's once-a-day, full text email digest with new content, for about 450 people. I've posted up a notice that the email digest is temporarily offline due to glitch, but I'm hoping there's a way I can get it going again.

Have you tried reaching out to the author of the item to see if they have an updated version for 4.5 or if one is coming soon?

1 minute ago, Rhett said:

Have you tried reaching out to the author of the item to see if they have an updated version for 4.5 or if one is coming soon?

I posted a message on the add-on's support thread earlier tonight.

Could something have changed with 4.5 that might have blocked the plugin from being able to access the database? I read the release notes on the update notice that was up at the top of the screen when I logged in, and nothing seemed to indicate that sort of change, or I would have been more cautious.

Perhaps I misunderstood something?

Thanks for your help!

Just now, John T Davis said:

I posted a message on the add-on's support thread earlier tonight.

Could something have changed with 4.5 that might have blocked the plugin from being able to access the database? I read the release notes on the update notice that was up at the top of the screen when I logged in, and nothing seemed to indicate that sort of change, or I would have been more cautious.

Perhaps I misunderstood something?

Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry for any confusion on third party items, in this case, we did list a very large amount of core changes in the release notes affecting third party developers, 4.5 is a larger update, and most third party items will require an update for 4.5.  This is actually something that should be checked on every update though, so I'm sorry that you were not aware of that in this case. 

Worst case, if the developer cannot assist you in correcting this issue, reply to your support ticket and we can review your options on a restore for you.  

@Lindy & @Rhett:

Thank you for your replies. I'll follow up with the developer and if necessary look into my restore options.

Is it possible to restore to an older version without losing content posted since then?

EDIT: Also, is it possible the plugin's automated tasks will still run even though I can't get at it through AdminCP, or is the new security model likely to block those as well? (I'm guessing yes.)

Thanks again!

Edited by John T Davis

• Management

I reached out to the author who said it will be updated for 4.5. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer your question about the tasks. CSRF protection should not prevent them from running, but I'm not familiar with the app and there could be other conflicts with 4.5.

Out of curiosity, the app was disabled during upgrade and you re-enabled it -- correct? 

The only way to downgrade would be to do a full restore of the file structure and database. 

35 minutes ago, Lindy said:

I reached out to the author who said it will be updated for 4.5. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer your question about the tasks. CSRF protection should not prevent them from running, but I'm not familiar with the app and there could be other conflicts with 4.5.

Out of curiosity, the app was disabled during upgrade and you re-enabled it -- correct? 

The only way to downgrade would be to do a full restore of the file structure and database. 

Thanks for reaching out. I hope they don't think I'm being pushy about this. I only posted here as well as on the support thread in the (vague, likely dead-end) hope I just needed to tweak something on my end. 😛

Indeed. Both my 3rd party apps/plugins were auto-disabled. I had to manually turn them back on.

I've let our members know the daily digest is temporarily unstable and may or may not work, so I'm not going to worry about a full restore right now. Especially since I don't know when the last backup was taken. 🙂 

1 minute ago, John T Davis said:

I've let our members know the daily digest is temporarily unstable and may or may not work, so I'm not going to worry about a full restore right now. Especially since I don't know when the last backup was taken. 🙂 

Now's a good time to get that sorted and automated, validate that your backups are working, and practice restoring in a test environment. Just in case.