Updating your theme to 4.5 if...

Jordan Miller

Hi fam, I want to upgrade to 4.5 in the semi-near future. One thing I need updated though is my theme. I looove it, however my theme developer is not responding at all.

What does one do in this scenario (besides use a different theme)? 

Are there general modifications for all 4.4 themes that need to be made? Meaning, can someone else update my theme? I really want to keep it, but also I can't not upgrade if my theme dev disappeared.

Thoughts? 

https://www.breatheheavy.com/exhale/

3 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Hi fam, I want to upgrade to 4.5 in the semi-near future. One thing I need updated though is my theme. I looove it, however my theme developer is not responding at all.

Are there general modifications for all 4.4 themes that need to be made? Meaning, can someone else update my theme? I really want to keep it, but also I can't not upgrade if my theme dev disappeared.

Thoughts? 

This is because most designers haven't released updates to their skins for 4.5.0, since it's only in beta [12th version] as I write this post.

It's a risk on us if we choose to upgrade when apps/themes aren't ready.

You could switch to the default theme for a short time?

PS. @Brian A. is a good egg, I doubt he would have abandoned his clients without good reason (if he hasn't replied).

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

Your best bet is to switch to a theme developer who has a history of several years with the community, and who will update over major versions.  

4.5 is one of the larger theme changes.  

It might not mean to come across like it, but this could be taken the wrong way.

Brian has been around for ages - probably longer than most people in this topic itself. I have worked a few times with him and, he's a great designer. Very prompt, I can't help but feel patience is the best word to describe this all.

Just now, Joey_M
3 hours ago, breatheheavy said:

Thoughts? 

This is because most designers haven't released updates to their skins for 4.5.0, since it's only in beta [12th version] as I write this post.

It's a risk on us if we choose to upgrade when apps/themes aren't ready.

You could switch to the default theme for a short time?

PS. @Brian A. is a good egg, I doubt he would have abandoned his clients without good reason (if he hasn't replied).

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

Your best bet is to switch to a theme developer who has a history of several years with the community, and who will update over major versions.  

4.5 is one of the larger theme changes.  

It might not mean to come across like it, but this could be taken the wrong way.

Brian has been around for ages - probably longer than most people in this topic itself. I have worked a few times with him and, he's a great designer. Very prompt, I can't help but feel patience is the best word to describe this all.

Yes! He’s actually amazing and I looove his work. But I’m not sure if he has plans to update to 4.5 or not. Usually he emails me back but it’s been a little while and nada so figured I’d start planning what I may need to do if he doesn’t respond.

Brian, if you’re reading this, my topic was in no way meant to shade you. You’re awesomely brilliant and talented! 🙏🙏

Have you tried sending him a PM here?

Sometimes e-mails can get lost, I'm self hosted with Google services and an issue caused at their end temporarily interfered with my exchange with a developer I was working with. Then again, he might have personal issues or, as many finding things difficult with the COVID-19 pandemic.

I don't see why he wouldn't update his themes, I'd imagine it's a good revenue stream for him.

Try to reach out again, I am sure he wouldn't mind.

Best wishes to you bud.

Just now, Joey_M

Have you tried sending him a PM here?

Sometimes e-mails can get lost, I'm self hosted with Google services and an issue caused at their end temporarily interfered with my exchange with a developer I was working with. Then again, he might have personal issues or, as many finding things difficult with the COVID-19 pandemic.

I don't see why he wouldn't update his themes, I'd imagine it's a good revenue stream for him.

Try to reach out again, I am sure he wouldn't mind.

Best wishes to you bud.

Good idea! I didn’t even think of that. Thanks - I’ll do that now

I really don't think people are 'getting it' or simply do not understand.

4.5 has NOT been released, it is in TESTING...  As usual testing practices are; pre-alpha. alpha, beta and rc's. You will know when 4.5 is OFFICIALLY released as IPS will shout about it everywhere. You're advised not to install any beta software release, unless you know what you're doing. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, V0RT3X666 said:

No it's not, it's still in BETA stage.

Current stable release: 4.4.10
or download 4.5.0 Beta 12 (pre-release)

Oh lol. I didn't even realize 😆 My bad, thank you.

3 hours ago, Dean_ said:

I really don't think people are 'getting it' or simply do not understand.

4.5 has NOT been released, it is in TESTING...  As usual testing practices are; pre-alpha. alpha, beta and rc's. You will know when 4.5 is OFFICIALLY released as IPS will shout about it everywhere. You're advised not to install any beta software release, unless you know what you're doing. :rolleyes:

Why are you yelling at me 😩 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, breatheheavy said:

Unfortunately, my theme's developer has not responded to any of my emails for almost 2 months :[ 

Sucks cause I really love my theme and want to keep it. 

Anyone interested in helping a brother out 😏 

Your theme designer is one of the most popular ones here.  He's already stated on his website that when a stable version of 4.5 is released, he will begin rebuilding his themes.  Not upgrading, rebuilding.  This is going to take much longer, and I'm almost certain he's being harassed with emails asking the same things you are and can't respond to most of them personally. 

I know for myself, I ignore all correspondence when people ask me things I've already stated publicly.  This is what Brian has stated already about his themes for 4.5

In ThemeTree, we haven't talk or discuss about 4.5 because in life, we're currently busy doing things and handling prolonging clients. 

As for the themes, 4.5 has changed a lot and modified a lot by the default theme to the improvements of UI & UX. In this case, all themes will be rebuilt from the ground up to maintain the level of changes they have made for us theme designers.

When 4.5 gets release, please do not upgrade our theme(s) because we're probably busy with other things that we need to attend too and when we have time on our hands, certainly we're gonna get on them.

Note: If you do upgrade because of how much stuff they've put into, then upgrade, but just know from us that this our precaution because some things or more will break the site/theme or modify it to not look like our themes.

1 hour ago, ahc said:

Your theme designer is one of the most popular ones here.  He's already stated on his website that when a stable version of 4.5 is released, he will begin rebuilding his themes.  Not upgrading, rebuilding.  This is going to take much longer, and I'm almost certain he's being harassed with emails asking the same things you are and can't respond to most of them personally. 

The word "harassed" is... a choice. 

I don't find it unreasonable to ask him a question about his themes, or coming here asking people for advice as to what I can do. One reply in the span of two months doesn't feel unreasonable either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Especially considering we worked together frequently. 

1 hour ago, ahc said:

I know for myself, I ignore all correspondence when people ask me things I've already stated publicly.

From where I stand that's a pretty rigid stance, but I respect your decision. 

The overall tone in your comment feels pretty stern. I hear what you're saying, but delivery is everything. Nonetheless, thank you for responding.

7 hours ago, SC36DC said:

I know you're not looking for a new theme, but the theme I use for my forum is Chameleon Pro from, ipsfocus.com, and most of these were rebuilt already and they do have some amazing features. The support is beyond incredible.

https://www.ipsfocus.com/themes/

Agreed the themes look nice and though I've not personally sought help yet, reviewing many topics the author does appear to provide good support. 

I was a bit disappointed though that out of the box the theme (Carbon) looks nothing like it does on their demo out of the box. How much time or work it takes to correct I'm not sure as this was the first time I've tried a 3rd party theme. Hopefully once I've finished up some other changes to the 4.5 upgrade I'll be able to work on the theme and see. 

16 hours ago, Malwarebytes Forums said:

Agreed the themes look nice and though I've not personally sought help yet, reviewing many topics the author does appear to provide good support. 

I was a bit disappointed though that out of the box the theme (Carbon) looks nothing like it does on their demo out of the box. How much time or work it takes to correct I'm not sure as this was the first time I've tried a 3rd party theme. Hopefully once I've finished up some other changes to the 4.5 upgrade I'll be able to work on the theme and see. 

The theme author @Ehren behind IPSFocus is the same theme consultant behind 4.5's new theme.  

He's generally excellent in his theme support.