Why aren't posts numbered within a thread?

RocketStang

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

This is something that always bothered me. There used to be a plugin that fixed this, created by Matt Mecham (MTM Post Counter a.k.a. MTM Ye Olde Post Count Of Yesteryear), that is no longer available. I edited it to work with 4.5. See below. After installing it, you must clear the cache using the support tool. It is working like a charm here.

MTM_Post_Counter-4.5.xml 1.91 kB · 22 downloads

Ok, thank you. Its working on new default skin 4.5. But... it is not with our own skins from 4.4 :) So now we must have this 2 plugins, just for one small option to have post numbers on every theme :)

Can anyone please make one plugin that supports 4.5 and older one? :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 12:24 PM, Gabriel Torres said:

This is something that always bothered me. There used to be a plugin that fixed this, created by Matt Mecham (MTM Post Counter a.k.a. MTM Ye Olde Post Count Of Yesteryear), that is no longer available. I edited it to work with 4.5. See below. After installing it, you must clear the cache using the support tool. It is working like a charm here.

MTM_Post_Counter-4.5.xml 1.91 kB · 30 downloads

Fantastic. Thank you.

MTM_Post_Counter-4.5.xml 1.91 kB · 32 downloads

Thank you!  I just installed it.

• 2 months later...
On 13/09/2020 at 12:24, Gabriel Torres said:

C'est quelque chose qui m'a toujours dérangé. Il y avait un plugin qui corrigeait ce problème, créé par Matt Mecham (MTM Post Counter aka MTM Ye Olde Post Count Of Yesteryear), qui n'est plus disponible. Je l'ai édité pour fonctionner avec 4.5. Voir ci-dessous. Après l'avoir installé, vous devez vider le cache à l'aide de l'outil de support. Cela fonctionne comme un charme ici.

MTM_Post_Counter-4.5.xml 1,91 kB · 52 téléchargements

Thank you very much. 🙏
It is very usefull tool for my needs.

• 2 years later...
On 11/29/2020 at 4:35 PM, All Astronauts said:

Y'all know post numbering was included by request into Kitchen Sink. Someone asked for a few weeks ago. Took all of a few minutes to stick in.

Is post numbering still in this? 

Is anyone running a plugin or custom edit now they can share? Looking to add post numbering for easier reference.

MTM_Post_Counter-4.5.xml 1.91 kB · 77 downloads

This seems to work with v4.7.12 so far..

11 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

Yes, it still works.., 🙂 And definitely should be incorporated in IPS.

It was intentionally removed at one point.  It existed I think back in the late 3.X days and then removed in one of the major point updates. So I would not expect it to be added in core. 

Edited by Randy Calvert

13 hours ago, Gabriel Torres said:

And definitely should be incorporated in IPS.

+10, I've seen so many people say, "... back in post #xx, so and so said...".  I get all the points IPS has said, some posts may be hidden, and admins see posts others can't...  I think most people can handle seeing posts numbered 1, 2, 3, 5.

• Management
9 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

+10, I've seen so many people say, "... back in post #xx, so and so said...".  I get all the points IPS has said, some posts may be hidden, and admins see posts others can't...  I think most people can handle seeing posts numbered 1, 2, 3, 5.

Please refer back to this post for my answer 

(Surely linking to the post is easier than saying "check out my answer on post #34")

The feature exists with xenforo, which is why it comes up on my end. Members use multiple sites and compare. There are some top niche sites that use xenforo, more so I see than vbulletin these days. Nevertheless, both those competing platforms have the feature. Not saying its a must to be built in, just saying that some things are needed when competing and it's good we can do it with a plugin for now 😁

On 9/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, Matt said:

We removed post numbers about 5 years ago and although we get the odd request here and there, it’s not something that is raised very often.

That's partly because we've learned that once a feature is gone, it's gone.  🙂

For instance, the next post link was really important to me.  I only view my site using the undread stream, then click through the unread title at the bottom.  I like to watch the Tour de France this time of the year.  I am usually behind a few days and don't want previous stages spoiled.  It was nice to see the post's title before clicking on it.  I just don't visit one of my sites for weeks because there are often spoilers.  That's my use case, I pleaded it when that feature was removed.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Please refer back to this post for my answer 

(Surely linking to the post is easier than saying "check out my answer on post #34")

When I raised this 2 or 3 years ago, one of the InVision team explained that it was removed so that users could focus more on content than numbers! 🤣

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

We don't want to be stuck in the past too.

🤔

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

For instance, the next post link was really important to me.  I only view my site using the undread stream, then click through the unread title at the bottom. 

This was a resource intensive function, changing how this worked gave a significant performance improvement for all customers, like a really impactful performance improvement.

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That's partly because we've learned that once a feature is gone, it's gone.  🙂

Sometimes they see sense, like when they readded for topics to go to latest unread post. That took years though.

I do tend to agree with them about the post numbers, if posts get deleted then that number you may have referred to will likely not be the same.

Edited by marklcfc

Strange because when the numbering system was removed we notice no difference in performance.

Now that we have a little plugin or hack which has restored it, we also notice no difference in performance but a considerable difference in customer satisfaction .

It should be a matter of choice as to whether or not your customers have this kind of facility .

Customers should be able to switch it on or switch it off.

Presumably if it is switched off then you will get all of the performance enhancement which you tell us there is as well as being able to focus on content.

Those of us who want the numbering system can choose to have it and presumably we'll have to put up with the lousy performance and a user interaction which will constantly be distracted by the appearance of small numbers in one corner of each post.

I think some of us can live with that

9 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Strange because when the numbering system was removed we notice no difference in performance.

Now that we have a little plugin or hack which has restored it, we also notice no difference in performance but a considerable difference in customer satisfaction .

No one ever said it was a performance issue:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/457939-why-arent-posts-numbered-within-a-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2826125

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/457939-why-arent-posts-numbered-within-a-thread/?do=findComment&comment=2826149

Performance was related to the topic title in the NEXT topic link below in topics.

#post is a very tiny thing perfectly doable via plugin and should be kept that way.