Lack of automation: Plans to add it to Invision Community?

MMXII

One thing that is really missing in Invision Community is automation. Sure, we have group promotions (which have, sadly, very limited functionality), but that is about it.

I'd love to see a feature, that allowes to create scripts that do stuff automatically. Be it a user that posts in a certain forum and gets a notification, a user that downloads a certain file and gets a group promotion, a user that updates their profile picture and gets whatever... With a flexible system anything should be possible. It would be very helpful to let stuff happen in your community without the need to actually handle everything manually.

While I hope to see such functionality being added to Invision Community:
I know about a plugin that added such functionality once, but it seems as if it is not available anymore. Does anything similar exist? (Seached for it, did not find anything.)

I'd love for such a thing to exist again. I've read a lot of nice things about Rules app, shame it had to end up that way.

Lets hope IPS 5 brings us such automation because I believe for such a complicated feature IPS should be behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, Maxxius said:

Lets hope IPS 5 brings us such automation because I believe for such a complicated feature IPS should be behind the wheel.

I hope not.
Better they improve their mobile app (lacks ads, clubs, commerce) and UI

On 8/6/2020 at 7:59 PM, bfarber said:

Zapier integration is being introduced for 4.5 which should help with automation needs.

Partially. It might send an email, if user X creates a topic in forum Y... (Can it though?), but what I am looking for is more Invision Community specific/working with data and values of Invision Community:

"If custom profile field X of user Y has value Z, then do..."
"If file X has been downloaded by user Y then do..."
"If user X is member of club Y and posts a topic in forum Z then do..."

• 1 month later...

I'm revisiting old news but I'd like to reiterate that perhaps self-integration tasks (I mean within the IPS itself and not including zapier) should be a thing. Pretty much something like the rules app which comes up quite often when zapier integration is discussed.

Please consider trying to add something similar in future version of IPS software which would allow such things like user described one post above me. Now that could bring things to a whole new level. 🙂

1 hour ago, Maxxius said:

I'm revisiting old news but I'd like to reiterate that perhaps self-integration tasks (I mean within the IPS itself and not including zapier) should be a thing. Pretty much something like the rules app which comes up quite often when zapier integration is discussed.

Please consider trying to add something similar in future version of IPS software which would allow such things like user described one post above me. Now that could bring things to a whole new level. 🙂

This would be incredible to see implemented as a built in feature of IPS.

I've used the rules app. It was garbage to begin with and was HELL on most communities especially during upgrades. Not to mention other things that affected that mod author which only some of my dear friends know about.

While I do want and appreciate automation, I don't want the rules app to influence such a decision. It was a garbage app that.... nm.

I do know that IPS has been adding more automated things and they have said that some things will be more automated so instead of asking for a garbage app to be implemented into core why don't you provide things that you would like to have be an automated thing? Things that you would like to see implemented either as a setting something you can configure.

• Auto-lock topics after no replies for X days
  • Thank you for joining, how are you getting along PM/Email for users under a post count that have been registered for X days
  • Hey, are you okay PMs/emails when a member hasn't come around for X amount of days.
  • Birthday PMs
  • Anniversary PMs (would love this with Awards too @Fosters)
  • Promotion messages and or notifications (messages preferred TBH)

I'm sure I could think of more but those are off of the top of my head while tired.