Community

Please make a tutorial/guide on installing/configuring redis

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it warrants it's own thread for visibility.

With 4.5, there is no longer support for all of the caching mechanisms aside from redis. In my experience, hosts don't know how to install or config redis. Not just how to do it properly, but not at all. They have experience with solutions like memcache and how to get it to play well with cPanel, but not redis.

Is it possible for the Invision team to please create a tutorial on the best way to install and configure the latest version of redis specifically for the Invision Suite with PHP 7.3/7.4?

And if possible to get it working with cPanel? I've read it is possible with EasyApache 4, but no comprehensive, up-to-date guide. I think the Invision team creating this would take care of some hardships we have as we would either be able to follow ourselves or give our hosts documentation for them to follow and get our Invision Suite working efficiently with redis.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, AA15 said:

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it warrants it's own thread for visibility.

With 4.5, there is no longer support for all of the caching mechanisms aside from redis. In my experience, hosts don't know how to install or config redis. Not just how to do it properly, but not at all. They have experience with solutions like memcache and how to get it to play well with cPanel, but not redis.

Is it possible for the Invision team to please create a tutorial on the best way to install and configure the latest version of redis specifically for the Invision Suite with PHP 7.3/7.4?

And if possible to get it working with cPanel? I've read it is possible with EasyApache 4, but no comprehensive, up-to-date guide. I think the Invision team creating this would take care of some hardships we have as we would either be able to follow ourselves or give our hosts documentation for them to follow and get our Invision Suite working efficiently with redis.

Redis is reasonably simple to install and upgrade  

The key is to find the correct installation instructions for your operating system and web server. 

Once you’ve identified your server environment, for example Ubuntu 18.04/Apache, there’s plenty of guides around detailing every step from downloading the package to installing it.

My advice is to try it out on a backed up dev machine, keeping notes as you go. Don’t worry about breaking anything. If something goes wrong just reinstate the backup and try again  

In my opinion you learn a lot more by doing  it this way, even if along the way you stumble a few times and have to pick your self up.  

Failing this there are several very good Admins on here who I am sure would be delighted to help you with this, subject to fee etc  

Good luck.