Please make a tutorial/guide on installing/configuring redis

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it warrants it's own thread for visibility.

With 4.5, there is no longer support for all of the caching mechanisms aside from redis. In my experience, hosts don't know how to install or config redis. Not just how to do it properly, but not at all. They have experience with solutions like memcache and how to get it to play well with cPanel, but not redis.

Is it possible for the Invision team to please create a tutorial on the best way to install and configure the latest version of redis specifically for the Invision Suite with PHP 7.3/7.4?

And if possible to get it working with cPanel? I've read it is possible with EasyApache 4, but no comprehensive, up-to-date guide. I think the Invision team creating this would take care of some hardships we have as we would either be able to follow ourselves or give our hosts documentation for them to follow and get our Invision Suite working efficiently with redis.

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, AA15 said:

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it warrants it's own thread for visibility.

With 4.5, there is no longer support for all of the caching mechanisms aside from redis. In my experience, hosts don't know how to install or config redis. Not just how to do it properly, but not at all. They have experience with solutions like memcache and how to get it to play well with cPanel, but not redis.

Is it possible for the Invision team to please create a tutorial on the best way to install and configure the latest version of redis specifically for the Invision Suite with PHP 7.3/7.4?

And if possible to get it working with cPanel? I've read it is possible with EasyApache 4, but no comprehensive, up-to-date guide. I think the Invision team creating this would take care of some hardships we have as we would either be able to follow ourselves or give our hosts documentation for them to follow and get our Invision Suite working efficiently with redis.

Redis is reasonably simple to install and upgrade  

The key is to find the correct installation instructions for your operating system and web server. 

Once you’ve identified your server environment, for example Ubuntu 18.04/Apache, there’s plenty of guides around detailing every step from downloading the package to installing it.

My advice is to try it out on a backed up dev machine, keeping notes as you go. Don’t worry about breaking anything. If something goes wrong just reinstate the backup and try again  

In my opinion you learn a lot more by doing  it this way, even if along the way you stumble a few times and have to pick your self up.  

Failing this there are several very good Admins on here who I am sure would be delighted to help you with this, subject to fee etc  

Good luck. 

• 1 month later...

It's absurd that the ONLY caching method Invision utilizes doesn't offer ANY support for it in any way whatsoever.  Absolutely ludicris. There's absolutely no way for most people to use it.

My host provider doesn't know how to install it, and therefore won't support it.  I tried Redis support but they are 100% unresponsive (8 tickets submitted with zero responses).  I even had a friend of mine who knows Apache try without luck.

So, unless you're an experienced server admin, you're screwed.  You simply cannot use Redis.

Major, major flaw with Invision!

• Management
23 hours ago, bassangler said:

It's absurd that the ONLY caching method Invision utilizes doesn't offer ANY support for it in any way whatsoever.  Absolutely ludicris. There's absolutely no way for most people to use it.

My host provider doesn't know how to install it, and therefore won't support it.  I tried Redis support but they are 100% unresponsive (8 tickets submitted with zero responses).  I even had a friend of mine who knows Apache try without luck.

So, unless you're an experienced server admin, you're screwed.  You simply cannot use Redis.

Major, major flaw with Invision!

This was sort of the point I was making above 🙂

If you don't know how to install it and your host also does not know how to install it then you probably do not need something like Redis. It's an advanced system.

Honestly the same thing can be said of anything. Our software requires PHP, MySQL, and so on. If you or your host were not able to set those up then you could not use our software. In this case you cannot use Redis because you do not have the technical requirements to both install and operate it.

23 hours ago, bassangler said:

I think this boils down to understanding appropriate scope for services. Invision also does not support standing up and configuring apache, nginx, mysql, postfix, exim, iptables, or most fundamentally, PHP for stand-alone installs.

There are a lot of moving parts to self-hosting, and much of the responsibility of standing up an appropriate environment will come down to your team. That said, some general guides on configuration requirements (as an example, no assistance compiling or installing PHP, yet IPS gives a list of required PHP extensions) may be useful. In our implementation of Redis, we didn't need anything like that to get up and running.

You've identified a knowledge gap that you and your team have, that your hosting team can't fill in for you, and that IPS doesn't have an offering to assist with filling. Great news: Redis is an open source, highly utilized solution, and there are many resources online to help get you up and running and using Redis. A quick search found a number of guides, videos, podcasts, and walkthroughs to help you setup and use Redis.

If you don't want to fill this knowledge gap, you might be better served with finding a hosting company that will provide and maintain these things for you. The most obvious solution would be IPS' own hosted community offering. They'll take care of everything for you, and you're paying for that level of support.

• Management

I would also say that if your community is small enough to fit on a shared server, you probably won't derive any real tangible benefit to running Redis. Redis is great to help large sites scale up and reduce database I/O but if that isn't a problem you need to solve, adding Redis onto the same server will just take resources from other areas and you won't really get any benefit.

43 minutes ago, bassangler said:

Your responses are nothing short of insulting.

I apologize. It was not my intention to be insulting. There's a difference between having committed dedicated resources for your site and self-managing servers. You mentioned contacting your hosting provider with software installation. That's an atypical expectation, in my experience, without paying a premium for a fully managed solution. I think @Matt's remarks were in line with thinking, on the basis of what you've shared in this thread, that you're asking your host to install something for you. I've never encountered that in any hosting setup where you're not on a shared hosting platform.

Have you started here?

https://redis.io/topics/quickstart

What distro is your dedicated server? Have you tried "install redis <name of distro>" as a search term?

For us, on debian, it was a simple as:

$ sudo apt install redis-server

Following that, reading through the .conf file, making appropriate changes, reading up on security considerations, and ensuring that the daemon was setup as a service that would launch on boot.

If you're not comfortable with taking the time to go through the documentation and startup guides on readily available resources that are a quick search engine's journey away, and are expecting someone to do this for you, or list out exactly what you need to do, a bit of grace might go a longer way. Absent all that, consider hiring someone to do it for you that has the time, skillset, and/or desire to learn to do so.

• 7 months later...